Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC champ Ronda Rousey is the villain that women’s MMA needs

1. Default UFC champ Ronda Rousey is the villain that women’s MMA needs

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/ufc-cha...ens-mma-needs/

For a breakout superstar, UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has had to get used to the sound of boos in a hurry. It probably helps that she’s getting a lot of practice these days and figures to get more in the future.

In Las Vegas for her title defense against rival Miesha Tate (13-5 MMA, 0-2 UFC) in UFC 168, Rousey (8-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) heard it from fight fans all week. The champ got booed at the weigh-ins, during her walk to the cage and through her prefight introduction. When she didn’t shake Tate’s hand after winning via third-round arm-bar submission, the din of the angry fans threatened to tear the roof off of MGM Grand Garden Arena.

If Rousey was bothered by the venom, she wouldn’t admit it. Maybe because she knows exactly what she’s doing and why she’s doing it.

“I wasn’t surprised, because I was aware of the role I was in,” she said of the fan reaction, before framing the situation in a comic-book analogy.

“Batman played the bad guy and let (Two-Face) look like the good guy because that’s what Gotham City needed at the time,” Rousey said. “For every fight, I approach it as what’s needed at the time.”
    For a women’s division still in its infancy with the UFC, it seems what Rousey thought it really needed was a villain. She might be right.

Before Rousey burst onto the scene, the knock on women’s MMA was, while there appeared to be some talent, there were few stars who could push the sport to the next level. For a time it seemed like EliteXC 145-pounder Gina Carano could change that with her movie-star looks and girl-next-door charm, but one bad beating sent her running for the safety of a Hollywood movie set, never to be seen in the cage again.

Rousey brings to the table not only Olympic-caliber athletic ability but also a mean streak that forces fans to choose a side and stick with it. That’s how it worked in her rivalry with Tate, and it doesn’t figure to be much different in her recently announced follow-up fight against Olympic silver medalist Sara McMann (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) in February in UFC 170.

Plenty of fans will probably never support Rousey, who remained as unapologetic as ever after defeating Tate and then snubbing her offer of a post-fight handshake. The vocal reaction, however, suggests there are very few who don’t at least feel something about her.

That might be the type of champion women’s MMA needs.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I don't think she's mature enough to understand how to play those "roles" that are being referenced, properly. It's a shame, Carano was far better poised for being the face of WMMA in terms of looks, professionalism, maturity, and class on top of athletic abilities. Rousey comes off as more of a pouty little child that can't grow up. Without someone else having the class similar to Carano, GSP, Fedor someone like Rousey is useless or just poor form in terms of personality and representativeness.
    Last edited by hass; 12-30-2013 at 02:24 PM.

I just think she is annoying and bitchy, I dont think that she is really a "villain". She makes me want to hear her talk and see her fight less where as guys who truly are villains like Diaz and Sonnen it makes me more intrigued.

Also a lot of guys I do not like (even if they haven't taken on that villain role) I always want to see them fight so I can cheer against them. With all of Ronda's BS I don't have that feeling, I just want her to go away and shut up.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

She's a spoiled child and now she's used to getting her way in athletics as well. To make matters worse, you have a bunch of clowns telling her how hot she is as well.

I truly hope she meets the chick who will walk through every single attack she generates and just keep going. That's when Ronda will grow up and become a true champion.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

She's not a "villian", she's like others have said "immature and bitchy". She's talented but just annoying and not likeable at all.

She has an attitude problem and claims it's just her playing the villain role to mask it, not like it's transparent at all huh?

...plus, she doesn't even know the difference between Two Face and Scarface.

Who uses analogies where they don't even know the proper names of the people they're talking about?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Blah blah blah. So full of shit and fake. Anyone else remember her comments while the show was being taped?

Rousey braces for worst in UFC reality show
    But for her latest assignment, Rousey was forced to live her life in front of cameras for six weeks as she looked to guide a team of UFC hopefuls through a tournament format and toward UFC contracts. Since taping wrapped up in July, Rousey has openly expressed her concern for what may have been captured by the cameras, or at least how it's going to be presented by the show's producers.

"How could people possibly know who you are from a couple of clips of a video that people are seeing out of context?" Rousey asked. "That's no way for people to get to know you, so I'm just preparing for people to get the worst idea of who I am."
    I mean fine, if she wants to play it off that the booing didn't bother her, I have no problem with that. But to publicly make comments that the show won't portray you in a realistic light, and then claim you did it all intentionally so you looked like a pro wrestling "heel"? What a bunch of nonsense.

I will agree that her attitude at times is pretty shitty but to her credit she has never liked Tate and stated so many times. Miesha is a smile in your face, talk shit behind your back kind of person, if I was Rousey I wouldnt have shook her hand either. Now as far as Rousey's talent goes, her Judo is second to none, her ground game is very good and her stand up is god awful. Eventually someone is going to knock her the fuck out and the crowd will get what they have been looking for, which by the way is how a typical heel is supposed to go down.
    Believe in Chimichanga's

Never thought I'd be a fan of Cyborg, but the throught of those two fighting might make me a temporary Cyborg fan.

Thread Information