Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC champ Ronda Rousey is the villain that women’s MMA needs

I've always been a cyborg fan,but she will never make the weight to fight Rousey. If she did then it would be a very interesting fight, classic striker vs grappler, we have seen it go both ways and give Rousey a 50/50 shot. If Rousey got ahold of her I dont think it would go very different then any of her previous fights, however getting her hands on Cyborg would not be nearly as easy as it was with Tate. Eating shots from Santos would also have very different repercussions
    Believe in Chimichanga's

I couldn't care less about Ronda, and I try to. I really try to, but man I just can't stand her. I think I would rather hear a Nick Diaz interview.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Never thought I'd be a fan of Cyborg, but the throught of those two fighting might make me a temporary Cyborg fan.
    After watching that fight Im pretty sure Cyborg would smash Rhonda on the feet pretty badly (after all this talk about her "great" stand-up).

I like Rhonda, I like the fact that she doesnt give a shit about what people think about her. I like rooting for the heel (even Chael grew on me after a while). Its definitely better to be hated than to be loved; more money to be made.

Agreed - if Meisha would have made an active attempt to keep the fight standing, her odds of winning would have increased dramatically. My money would be on Cyborg if she ever decided to pursue this opportunity. It's her decision to make and nobody elses, but had she started attempting to lose weight in a healthy manner back after the Rhonda/Carmouche fight, she more likely than not could have been ready by this spring.

I'd hope she might reconsider after seeing this fight and seeing the paydays.

I'll admit right off the bat that I didn't watch a millisecond of the reality show, and for the most part avoided any of the pre fight hype, because I always find these 'grudge matches' to be overly manufactured melodrama. I'm sure Ronda has her personality flaws, so what I'm about to being up is more something to consider than me speaking with certainty or calling anyone out.

Do you think there might be a touch of latent (and even overt at times) mysogyny in all the disdain for Ronda? Do you think that if it were a man who was acting the same way, he might be seen as 'keeping it real' (or some lame offshoot of this), but that because it's a woman it's seen as 'bitchy'?

Considering that this is a male dominated, anonymous internet message board for a hyper masculine sport, I think the forum as done a relatively good job of respecting the female fighters as athletes. That being said, I don't think it's ever a waste of time to try to develop your self awareness and try to locate possible biases.

You guys sounds like a bunch of junior high school girls.

My turn. Tate is just as bitchy and annoying as Roussey. The interview where she was complaining that Roussey was making a career off her was pretty sad. It is 2013 and not 2011, you got destroyed by her in the fight prior to the interview.

No, would call him a dick. Most male fighters with Ronda's personality are also hated. Josh Kosheck comes to mind. Imagine how hated he would be if he was champ and acted the way he did?

Some of the reason she gets extra criticism is because she is the champ (and in the only female division) so there are certain expectations of how a champ should act.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    Do you think there might be a touch of latent (and even overt at times) mysogyny in all the disdain for Ronda? Do you think that if it were a man who was acting the same way, he might be seen as 'keeping it real' (or some lame offshoot of this), but that because it's a woman it's seen as 'bitchy'?

I made my comment based on her being a spoiled child, not a woman.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I'll admit right off the bat that I didn't watch a millisecond of the reality show, and for the most part avoided any of the pre fight hype, because I always find these 'grudge matches' to be overly manufactured melodrama. I'm sure Ronda has her personality flaws, so what I'm about to being up is more something to consider than me speaking with certainty or calling anyone out.

Considering that this is a male dominated, anonymous internet message board for a hyper masculine sport, I think the forum as done a relatively good job of respecting the female fighters as athletes. That being said, I don't think it's ever a waste of time to try to develop your self awareness and try to locate possible biases.
    No. Michael Bisping acted like a whiny bitch when he was coaching TUF against Hendo, too. Then again when he coached against Mayhem, who also acted like a whiny childish bitch as well.

Look at how people reacted to Nick Diaz after his GSP and Condit fights. He whined and bitched about not winning the fights, and blaming the way the he thought fights should be judged. Hell, he "retired" after the Condit fight, quoting that as the reason.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the fact she's female. I think it has to do with the way she consistently acts in the media, that makes fans feel that way.
    Last edited by Spoon; 12-31-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I made my comment based on her being a spoiled child, not a woman.
    Fair enough.
    Of course she also shouldn't be immune to critisicm just because she is female.

Very often outspoken women are painted as angry and petulant when similar traits from men are praised. It's something I think about quite a bit, whether or not that is the case with Ronda. I'm thinking out loud and trying to assess my own thought patters more than anything with these posts.

Thread Information