+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva asked doctors "when can I train?" after surgery

Default Anderson Silva asked doctors "when can I train?" after surgery

Anderson Silva remains hospitalized on Monday after surgery to repair a fractured tibia and fibula suffered during his fight at UFC 168 on Saturday while delivering a kick to opponent Chris Weidman.

Silva's surgeon, Dr. Steven Sanders of Las Vegas, detailed the nature of the injury and subsequent operation to repair the damage during a conference call held on Monday.

According to Dr. Sanders, Silva's leg was actually stabilized and realigned inside the Octagon, which may explain the tormented look the fighter had on his face as he was carried via stretcher from the cage to the MGM Grand's examination room.

From the arena, Silva was transported to the University Medical Center in Las Vegas where he was counseled and then chose to go into immediate surgery to repair the damaged leg. Dr. Sanders said the procedure took about an hour with an additional 30 minutes to close the wound and insert an 11.5 millimeter titanium rod into his tibia to help stabilize the bone and promote healing. The fibula was not set in a similar manner due to a myriad of reasons, not the least of which was that to do surgery on that bone, doctors would have had to operate directly at the site of the break and that could have caused an infection.

Dr. Sanders explained that Silva's bones will now heal on their own while the rehabilitation involves rebuilding the soft tissue and muscle damage that occurred and will continue to happen while his bone is setting back into place. Muscle atrophy in the calf will begin almost immediately as Silva's leg remains immobile. The former middleweight champion remains on bed rest with his leg elevated while taking medication to relieve the severe pain he's suffering.

Silva is expected to make a full recovery, especially in the bones that broke from the two fractures that occurred. He will be able to start putting weight on the leg in the next few weeks once the pain subsides. The bones should not lose any kind of strength from the break, which means if Silva chooses to return to fighting he's not in danger of the same injury occurring again.

"When the fracture heals, the bone will achieve its original strength," Dr. Sanders explained. "In addition to it achieving its original strength, he'll also have a titanium rod that's 11.5 millimeters in diameter shoring up that area as well."

The titanium rod can safely stay in Silva's leg for the rest of his life, as the doctor explained the human body rarely rejects the metal when placed into a bone.

Dr. Sanders stated that a pre-surgery check of Silva's x-rays did not reveal any evidence that his leg was damaged prior to the kick that caused the break. While Silva has been a professional fighter for several years and delivered other kicks during the fight with Weidman, the doctor says that there was no proof in the scans he observed that the Brazilian fighter suffered any other fractures, breaks or stress in his leg before the break occurred.

"As an orthopedic surgeon when any injury occurs we like to know that it's from the trauma and not some unexpected or unsuspected underlying condition. So from the x-rays, when I looked at the x-rays besides obviously seeing the fracture in the bones moved apart, I look at the character of the bone to see if there was any pre-disposition to that bone why it would break," Dr. Sanders explained.

"The nature or character or quality of his bone was completely normal. There was no predisposing pathology in that bone that would have led to this particular event occurring at this time."

Silva will now begin his recovery in the hospital for a few days under his doctor's supervision until he can be cleared to return home. While there is absolutely no confirmation that Silva has come close to a decision about whether or not he'll fight again, he's constantly inquired with the doctor about getting back in the gym after his leg heals.

"He has spontaneously mentioned, obviously that's not something I'm questioning or curious about in the immediate post-operative phase, but he asked me in the pre-op area saying 'when can I train?' and he asked me every time when I see him on my rounds he asks 'will I be able to train? When can I train?' and I always indicated to him that he should be able to train," Dr. Sanders stated.

Regardless of fighting, Silva's outlook seems positive given the nature of the injury. Dr. Sanders is still hesitant to give any kind of timeline for a return for Silva, if he chooses to fight again, because the surgery was just two days ago. Silva is probably looking at about six to nine months off before he could potentially head back into the training room.

"We are not even 48 hours from the surgery and tibia fractures, though we can get them to heal, can have slower healing. So in general my prognosis would be a fracture healing somewhere in the nature of three to six months, but there's also soft tissue components that have to heal and then of course a rehabilitative process as well," Dr. Sanders explained.

"If I had to make a guess less than 48 hours from the operation, I would say the fracture healing in three to six months, and attempting to train in six to nine months."

For now the main concern for Silva is allowing his leg the proper time to heal and ensuring that he's given every opportunity to rehabilitate and recover. Dr. Sanders said that Silva is already using crutches just 48 hours removed from the surgery and he expects the former champion to make a full recovery.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/a...surgery-123013

All very good news.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Had to figure he wouldn't want to go out like that. Regardless how he comes back he is one tough SOB.

There's a lot of interesting news in that article, the fact that they set his leg in the octagon, confirming there was no break before the kick that turned his leg in to puddy on Weidman's knee. All nice tidbits.

Glad to hear Silva is going to be able to come back from this, I really would hate for the last memory of Silva in the octagon to be one so jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist of Lemon View Post

Glad to hear Silva is going to be able to come back from this, I really would hate for the last memory of Silva in the octagon to be one so jarring.
    I'll believe it when I see it.

Godspeed to Anderson! Hope he can comeback.

Interesting that the doctor says there was no injury prior to his leg breaking. I had read somewhere that after the first round Silva complained to his corner that he thought he may have injured his shin. But it could have been some Bullshit story. Anyway, I'm sure that he will make a speedy recovery and look to redeem himself with a fight as soon as possible. So I can't wait to see him fight again.

If he does return to the UFC, does he get a title shot upon return or do they make him get back in line? I would hope they would make him have at least one fight before getting another shot at the title but with the way things ended I certainly wouldnt be surprised if he got an immediate shot.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    If he does return to the UFC, does he get a title shot upon return or do they make him get back in line? I would hope they would make him have at least one fight before getting another shot at the title but with the way things ended I certainly wouldnt be surprised if he got an immediate shot.
    I think they'll do Silva and Bisping in London, then if Silva wins he can get a crack at the title. But this might be their only chance to do that fight, and the UFC has been salivating over the thought of Silva and Bisping headlining a major card in London. It would be perfect for their "European Tour" that they have planned for Spring/Summer. Put Conor Mcgregor in there as the co-headline, throw that bitch in Wembley Stadium and put a bow on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I think they'll do Silva and Bisping in London, then if Silva wins he can get a crack at the title. But this might be their only chance to do that fight, and the UFC has been salivating over the thought of Silva and Bisping headlining a major card in London. It would be perfect for their "European Tour" that they have planned for Spring/Summer. Put Conor Mcgregor in there as the co-headline, throw that bitch in Wembley Stadium and put a bow on it.
    Good call I could definetly see that happening

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information