+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GSP Says The UFC Took His Championship Belt When His Back Was Turned

Default GSP Says The UFC Took His Championship Belt When His Back Was Turned

We left the GSP hysteria back in 2013 where the former UFC welterweight champ left his UFC world title behind for a shot at taking care of his compounding personal affairs.
    But now Georges is spreading a tale through the media about how his former employer (UFC) and how they actually had the nerve to take his belt from him while his back was turned at UFC 167.

Here’s what GSP told the media recently about this situation:

“I’m taking my shower after the fight. I’m in my suit and tie, after that, they passed by, took the belt and they left with it, without even telling me. I have the belts I won before, but I don’t have the one from my last fight.”
    - See more at: http://www.bjpenn.com/gsp-says-the-u....nCY8thEx.dpuf
    http://www.bjpenn.com/gsp-says-the-u...ck-was-turned/
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Default sarcasm:

Kevo, BJPenn.com stuff goes to noobjack. there is a very good chance that none if this actually happened.

While I don't rule out the possibility that dana is exactly enough of a douche to do this, the hacks at that horrible site are currently setting the standard for interweb suck. And that's in a field that includes cagepotato and those idiots at bloodyelbow.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Kevo, BJPenn.com stuff goes to noobjack. there is a very good chance that none if this actually happened.

While I don't rule out the possibility that dana is exactly enough of a douche to do this, the hacks at that horrible site are currently setting the standard for interweb suck. And that's in a field that includes cagepotato and those idiots at bloodyelbow.

rh
    Fair enough, feel free to delete the thread entirely until a more reputable MMA site (ha snicker giggle ha) posts something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Default Bleacher Report-Georges St-Pierre Said Belt Was Taken After UFC 167 Bout with Hendrix

here is another article of the same story.
    Seems to elaborate a bit more than the BJPenn Article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ohny-hendricks

Georges St-Pierre recently relinquished his welterweight title and left the sport of MMA, but plans to rob the UFC legend of his championship status appear to have begun immediately after his UFC 167 win over Johny Hendricks.

Speaking to reporter Jean-Rene Dufort on the French-Canadian television show Infoman (interview begins at 40:49), GSP said that his championship strap from the event was taken from him while he was preparing for the post-fight press conference (translation courtesy of Quebec native Cyrus Etemadi).

"I was taking a shower after the fight, " St-Pierre said. "And I was suiting up, with my tie, and afterwards they came to get the belt, and they left with it without even telling me."

The reporter then asked if GSP still had any of his belts, to which the champ replied, "I have belts," he said. "I have belts from my previous fights. But not the one from the last fight, unfortunately."

In context, it appears the "they" in question refers to UFC staff, meaning this was no random act of thievery.

Immediately following GSP's fight against Hendricks, UFC president Dana White showcased a criticism toward his 170-pound champion we had never seen. Reports circulated that White and the UFC tried to keep GSP out of the post-fight press conference, but conflicting reports also emerged that this was not the case.

If GSP's report that his belt was taken while he dressed for the press conference are to be taken seriously, some contrary evidence needs to be addressed.

First, the belt was presented to GSP at the post-fight press conference. During his interview with Infoman, GSP said it was taken while he was preparing for this media obligation and that he still does not have it in his possession, so some loose ends need to be tied before solid conclusions can be drawn.

Still, this recent interview with Infoman added to GSP's previous comments that he was not wanted at the post-fight presser paints an interesting picture.

If GSP's recent words are true—and, admittedly, it seems like a strange story to fabricate—this serves as a smear on the UFC and the way it handles its fighters and business practices. Would they take GSP's belt without reason?

Conversely, if it surfaces that GSP's words were deceitful (and the belt was right there post-fight), it would demonstrate some animosity toward the UFC on GSP's part, or it would show that he is speaking in riddles and refusing to expose full truths.

Stay tuned as more details emerge regarding the case.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Fair enough, feel free to delete the thread entirely until a more reputable MMA site (ha snicker giggle ha) posts something similar.
    blind squirrels, nuts, etc.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    here is another article of the same story.
    Seems to elaborate a bit more than the BJPenn Article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ohny-hendricks

Georges St-Pierre recently relinquished his welterweight title and left the sport of MMA, but plans to rob the UFC legend of his championship status appear to have begun immediately after his UFC 167 win over Johny Hendricks.

Speaking to reporter Jean-Rene Dufort on the French-Canadian television show Infoman (interview begins at 40:49), GSP said that his championship strap from the event was taken from him while he was preparing for the post-fight press conference (translation courtesy of Quebec native Cyrus Etemadi).

"I was taking a shower after the fight, " St-Pierre said. "And I was suiting up, with my tie, and afterwards they came to get the belt, and they left with it without even telling me."

The reporter then asked if GSP still had any of his belts, to which the champ replied, "I have belts," he said. "I have belts from my previous fights. But not the one from the last fight, unfortunately."

In context, it appears the "they" in question refers to UFC staff, meaning this was no random act of thievery.

Immediately following GSP's fight against Hendricks, UFC president Dana White showcased a criticism toward his 170-pound champion we had never seen. Reports circulated that White and the UFC tried to keep GSP out of the post-fight press conference, but conflicting reports also emerged that this was not the case.

If GSP's report that his belt was taken while he dressed for the press conference are to be taken seriously, some contrary evidence needs to be addressed.

First, the belt was presented to GSP at the post-fight press conference. During his interview with Infoman, GSP said it was taken while he was preparing for this media obligation and that he still does not have it in his possession, so some loose ends need to be tied before solid conclusions can be drawn.

Still, this recent interview with Infoman added to GSP's previous comments that he was not wanted at the post-fight presser paints an interesting picture.

If GSP's recent words are true—and, admittedly, it seems like a strange story to fabricate—this serves as a smear on the UFC and the way it handles its fighters and business practices. Would they take GSP's belt without reason?

Conversely, if it surfaces that GSP's words were deceitful (and the belt was right there post-fight), it would demonstrate some animosity toward the UFC on GSP's part, or it would show that he is speaking in riddles and refusing to expose full truths.

Stay tuned as more details emerge regarding the case.
    Bleacher Report is a blog, their source is more than likely bjpenn.com

7. Default

Too funny. Yesterday I was like, no one posts shit from that crappy gossip MMA site and then BAM!
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Lets assume this is true. Don't they usually have the belts laid out on the table before anyone comes out for the press conference? Meaning they get the belt from the champ, before they come out?

Also it was my understanding that the belt at events is actually the UFC's belt, that they bring to the event. I remember seeing an interview with Ed Soares (maybe from Like Water), where he said Anderson had his own belt at home in Brazil, and the UFC has one they bring as well. Where Anderson used his own personal belt for a fight in Brazil, because it was already in the Country, so the UFC didn't have to bring theirs. Or something along those lines.

I would however find it very strange if the UFC gave the champions a new belt to keep after every single title defense. I mean really, does Anderson Silva actually have 12 UFC MW belts in his possession, from all 11-12 title defenses (12 if the Lutter fight counts)? If so, why the need for so many damn belts?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Lets assume this is true. Don't they usually have the belts laid out on the table before anyone comes out for the press conference? Meaning they get the belt from the champ, before they come out?

Also it was my understanding that the belt at events is actually the UFC's belt, that they bring to the event. I remember seeing an interview with Ed Soares (maybe from Like Water), where he said Anderson had his own belt at home in Brazil, and the UFC has one they bring as well. Where Anderson used his own personal belt for a fight in Brazil, because it was already in the Country, so the UFC didn't have to bring theirs. Or something along those lines.

I would however find it very strange if the UFC gave the champions a new belt to keep after every single title defense. I mean really, does Anderson Silva actually have 12 UFC MW belts in his possession, from all 11-12 title defenses (12 if the Lutter fight counts)? If so, why the need for so many damn belts?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    blind squirrels, nuts, etc.

rh
    hey now..my nuts arent big enough for a blind squirrel to find them!

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information