+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFN 34 Weigh Ins & Extras

Default UFN 34 Weigh Ins & Extras

UFC Fight Night 34 weigh-in results: Fighters on weight in Singapore

The full UFC Fight Night 34 weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 9 a.m. ET)

Tarec Saffiedine (170) vs. Hyun Gyu Lim (171)
    Tatsuya Kawajiri (145) vs. Sean Soriano (145)
    Luiz Dutra (171) vs. Kiichi Kunimoto (171)
    Kyung Ho Kang (136) vs. Shunichi Shimizu (135)

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 a.m. ET)

Will Chope (146) vs. Max Holloway (146)
    Katsunori Kikuno (156) vs. Quinn Mulhern (155)
    David Galera (136) vs. Royston Wee (134)
    Tae Hyun Bang (156) vs. Mairbek Taisumov (155)
    Dustin Kimura (135) vs. Jon Delos Reyes (135)
    Russell Doane (135) vs. Leandro Issa (136)

Video replay: UFC Fight Night 34 fighter weigh-ins

When the UFC called David Galera, the unknown fighter thought, Why me?
    I was thinking a lot that night, Galera told MMAjunkie. I was like, Why me?
    I have a lot of teammates that are 10 times better than me, but I figured I must be here for a reason, Galera said. The next day, I went straight to the gym, geared up, and focused on training. I just trained, trained, trained.

Royston Wee says being UFCs first Singaporean no big deal, teases flying triangle
    Im really glad that I can be the first Singaporean to fight in the UFC, but at the end of the day, it doesnt really matter if Im the first or the second or whatever, Wee told MMAjunkie. I want to be the best Singaporean fighter and a real title contender. It doesnt matter if Im first if, over the next few years, other Singaporean fighters are better than me.
    If I win this fight in a boring fashion, people will say it wasnt a good fight, Wee said. Im going in with a lot of knockout punches, and if I grab hold of him, look out for the flying triangle. Ive been working hard on that.

UFC Fight Night 34s Tarec Saffiedine says Hyun Gyu Lim unknown but worthy
    In my heart, Im still the Strikeforce champion, he told MMAjunkie. But I had to put that aside and just focus on the future. Now, Im in the UFC, and I need to focus on that and get the win. I need to get another mindset.
    Obviously, I was really excited to fight Jake, he said. Jake is a big name, and I think it would have been a great fight. But I dont underestimate Lim, and Im excited to face somebody like him.

I think if you look at it another way, like, every win in the UFC is a step forward, he later added. And Lim is a good fighter. Even though hes unknown, hes a good fighter, and I believe a win over him puts me back on top.

Fight Night 34s Dustin Kimura: I just want to fight and put somebody to sleep
    It just lit a fire under my ass, he told MMAjunkie Radio. I never want to get my ass kicked again, so its been the motivating thing thats ever happened to me.

Kimura, who was undefeated as a pro before UFC 165, said he never paid attention to his record. But now that there is a one on his resume where there used to be a zero, he feels differently.

It was just super humbling and motivating, he said.
    I think its going to be a super good fight, Kimura said. I know he said he wanted Fight of the Night; I want Fight of the Night. Im looking for the finish. Ive seen him fight before. Hes a scrappy dude from Guam, so I know its going to be fireworks.
    Hes probably, I would think, a little more nervous than hes been (with the) bright lights in the UFC, Kimura said of Reyes, whos won his past four on the regional circuit. I had that, the first-fight jitters. It takes a toll on you. But everyone handles it differently. Once he gets in there, its not going to matter. Hes there to fight and so thats all Im thinking about.

This is the UFC. Everyone is tough. Im here to welcome him.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 01-03-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Well the guy that said the UFC shouldn't have signed him because he isn't that good can be assured that they will cut him if he loses.

I'm a huge MMA fan and this is still the weakest UFN card in a long time.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I'm a huge MMA fan and this is still the weakest UFN card in a long time.
    I know someone like Pashak would insult the UFC for putting on a weak UFC card, but given the talent on the card, if this was a DREAM or One FC card, I wonder if the opinion of the card would be different?

I, for one, am looking forward to the card. There's a few familiar Japanese names on there, along with some Singaporean talent. Would be great to see the kinda skills these Far East Asian fighters bring to the table.

Well, I said it was a weak ufn card and no one else does ufn lol.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I saw that the card airs at 3:30 A.M. I hope they replay it because I won't exactly be awake then.

Who is in charge of picking Octagon girls?.......
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Who is in charge of picking Octagon girls?.......
    I don't know I don't think they are bad looking though if that's what you're implying. On another note despite the fact that these fights haven't been too technical and a couple of fouls I've been enjoying the fights so far.

Spoilers below....

UFC Fight Night 34 bonuses

Tarec Saffiedine, Hyun Gyu Lim, Max Holloway and Russell Doane each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 34 event.

Holloway earned the “Knockout of the Night,” Doane won “Submission of the Night” and Saffiedine and Lim picked up “Fight of the Night” honors.

UFC Fight Night 34 draws reported 5,216 attendance in Singapore debut

UFC Fight Night 34 post-fight press conference

By the Numbers: UFC Fight Night 34
    1,324: Days since Tarec Saffiedine’s last stoppage victory, a second-round knockout of Nate Moore at Strikeforce Challengers 8. Since then, the Belgian’s last seven fights -- six wins, one loss -- have all gone the distance. “Sponge” began his professional career with submission triumphs in five of his first seven outings, although all of those occurred on the regional circuit.

4: Knockdowns landed by Saffiedine, according to the unofficial live stats on UFC.com. The Strikeforce veteran sent Lim to the canvas on multiple occasions thanks to a steady diet of vicious leg kicks.

180: Total strikes landed by Saffiedine in 277 attempts, according to the live stats on UFC.com. By comparison Lim landed 111 of 281 total strikes. (Note: live stats usually differ from the final stats posted on FightMetric.com, which are compiled after fights are reviewed in slow motion).

5: Consecutive victories at featherweight for Tatsuya Kawajiri after the Japanese fighter submitted Sean Soriano with a rear-naked choke in the second round of the evening’s co-main event. Since dropping from light weight to 145 pounds, “Crusher” has also defeated Joachim Hansen, Kazuyuki Miyata, Donald Sanchez and Michihiro Omigawa.

10: Career submission wins for Kawajiri, who used a rear-naked choke to put away the previously unbeaten Soriano. Four of Kawajiri’s tapouts have come since his move to featherweight; he had six submissions in his first 36 professional appearances.

2: Points deducted by referee Steve Perceval after Kyung Ho Kang landed what Perceval determined to be illegal 12-to-6 elbows against Shunichi Shimizu in the opening round of their bantamweight clash. Despite the harsh penalty, Kang went on to submit Shimizu with an arm-triangle choke in the third round.

3: Fights, according to MMADecisions.com’s database, that featured a two-point deduction for one foul and have gone to a decision: Edwin Figueroa-Alex Caceres (UFC 143), Christian Uflacker-Jonatas Novaes (Strikeforce/M-1 Global “Fedor vs. Rogers”) and Josh Appelt-Manny Lara (Bellator 92).

3-0: Record for Hawaiian fighter’s at UFC Fight Night 34, as Max Holloway, Dustin Kimura and Russell Doane all took home victories on Saturday.

6.25: Average fights per year for Will Chope, who made his professional debut on Aug. 1, 2010. The 23 year old known as “The Kill” was most active in 2012, when he fought 12 times. Chope lost to Holloway via second-round TKO in his first bout of 2014, ending his 14-fight winning streak.

9.5: Reach advantage, in inches, for Quinn Mulhern in his lightweight matchup with Katsunori Kikuno. Despite having such a significant edge, the Jackson’s MMA product elected to pull guard repeatedly en route to dropping a unanimous decision.

0-3: Combined record of Royston Wee’s two previous opponents prior to his Octagon foray against Dave Galera. A Singapore native, Wee had not competed in more than two years before taking a unanimous decision over Galera.

15: Fighters on Saturday’s 10-bout card who were making their Octagon debuts. Of the 20 competitors at UFC Fight Night 34, only Hyun Gyu Lim, Kyung Ho Kang, Max Holloway, Quinn Mulhern and Dustin Kimura had prior UFC experience.

5,216: Paid attendance for UFC Fight Night 34, the first UFC event to be held in Singapore. The Marina Bay Sands was sold out for the card, which began at 6:30 a.m. ET/3:30 a.m. PT in the United States.

1: Decision among 21 career wins for Mairbek Taisumov, who went the distance in victory for the first time against Tae Hyun Bang. The 25-year-old Austrian had gone to the judges twice previously in a 24-bout pro tenure, losing both bouts.

10: Finishes, in 11 professional victories, for Kimura, who submitted Jon delos Reyes with an armbar 2:13 into the opening frame of their 135-pound clash. “The Diamond” has only gone the distance once in his professional career, a three-round verdict over Sadhu Bolt at X-1 “Island Pride” in November 2010.

4: Championships won by Hawaiian Russell Doane, who has held titles in the Destiny MMA, Tachi Palace Fights, X-1 World Events and King of the Cage promotions. Doane submitted Leandro Issa with a triangle choke 4:59 into the second round of their bantamweight bout.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 01-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information