Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomson okay risking no.1 contender status

Default Thomson okay risking no.1 contender status

Thomson okay risking no.1 contender status

Josh Thomson was originally scheduled to fight for the UFC lightweight title, but an injury to Anthony Pettis delayed the fight. Rather than wait for the champion, Thomson choose to face former champion Benson Henderson and put his number one contender status on the line, but also knows a win secures his place:

“You know, I was given the opportunity to fight for the title. That’s all I think I ever wanted was just to hear out of Joe Silva’s mouth, ‘Hey you’re getting the title shot’. That lets you know right there that you were considered to be one of the best in the world ever. And so, that’s something that I can take to my kids and I’m cool with,” Thomson continued.

“So whether win this fight or not, I know that I was given the opportunity to fight for the title. I’m obviously looking forward to winning this fight, so then there is no doubt whether I’m getting the next title shot or not. But there’s so much in front of me between now and then, I need to focus on him. I need to focus on Benson. I need to focus on just getting past this fight.

I wish all top contenders thought like this...

Ive never understood the mindset of "risking" your number one contender spot. If you are concerned about fighting someone, whats going to happen when/if you win the title and THEN have to fight them. Either youre confident in your skills or your not.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    Ive never understood the mindset of "risking" your number one contender spot. If you are concerned about fighting someone, whats going to happen when/if you win the title and THEN have to fight them. Either youre confident in your skills or your not.
    Big part of it is the financial aspect... get a favorable match up with a champ that puts the odds in your favour and win the title you make a lot more money. With a championship win you could double your base salary and be in line for better ppv bonus money as well as being able to bring in a lot better sponsorship money.

You take a fairly big risk money wise in giving up a title shot in a sport where where early stoppages, injuries and bad judging are not all that uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Big part of it is the financial aspect... get a favorable match up with a champ that puts the odds in your favour and win the title you make a lot more money. With a championship win you could double your base salary and be in line for better ppv bonus money as well as being able to bring in a lot better sponsorship money.

You take a fairly big risk money wise in giving up a title shot in a sport where where early stoppages, injuries and bad judging are not all that uncommon.
    I apply the Fitch system here, where essentially fighters are lay and praying their careers. Be a true champion before you get the belt and dominate your division, or was your title shot a fluke and even you fear your chances of winning and holding the belt. There is to much hand picking fights lately and whining over having to fight. I respect Vitor and Thomson for accepting fights after being promised title fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus81 View Post
    I apply the Fitch system here, where essentially fighters are lay and praying their careers. Be a true champion before you get the belt and dominate your division, or was your title shot a fluke and even you fear your chances of winning and holding the belt. There is to much hand picking fights lately and whining over having to fight. I respect Vitor and Thomson for accepting fights after being promised title fights.
    I don;t think Fitch really applies to this discussion at all. I don't really recall Fitch backing out of or declining fights in the press and at certain points it could have been argued he was the most viable contender and denied rematches. Yes he had a lay and pray style but I think he gets to much flak for it that's was what his skill set was strongest at. He wasn't a particularly great striker and certainly didn't posses legit ko power his submission defense was light years ahead of his submission offense. The guy just used what worked for him and against the upper level talent it would never come across as flashy.

Also just FYI Belfort certainly was been picking and choosing who and when he fights outside of title shots of late hence the reason he fought Henderson at 205 instead of fighting a contender 185.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I don;t think Fitch really applies to this discussion at all. I don't really recall Fitch backing out of or declining fights in the press and at certain points it could have been argued he was the most viable contender and denied rematches. Yes he had a lay and pray style but I think he gets to much flak for it that's was what his skill set was strongest at. He wasn't a particularly great striker and certainly didn't posses legit ko power his submission defense was light years ahead of his submission offense. The guy just used what worked for him and against the upper level talent it would never come across as flashy.

Also just FYI Belfort certainly was been picking and choosing who and when he fights outside of title shots of late hence the reason he fought Henderson at 205 instead of fighting a contender 185.
    Yes Fitch did lay and pray, he had the ability to do serious damage with GnP but favored top position for a round then risking his opponent standing up. I don't recall Fitch ever turning down a fight either. My reference was to his fighting style. Would you prefer I said post Serra GSP? If you recall Dana said the winner of Hendo vs Vitor would get next title shot at either MW or LHW, Your referring to Tim Kennedy who at the time had one win in the UFC carried no title outside the UFC prior to coming to the UFC and had lost to Vitor's last opponent. But criticize him for taking a fight against a 2 time champion someone who he has lost to before? I would fully expect Thomson to turn down a challenge from Guillard, Lauzon, Johnson, etc. Beating lesser fighters doesn't dominate your division beating fellow contenders does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus81 View Post
    Yes Fitch did lay and pray, he had the ability to do serious damage with GnP but favored top position for a round then risking his opponent standing up. I don't recall Fitch ever turning down a fight either. My reference was to his fighting style. Would you prefer I said post Serra GSP? If you recall Dana said the winner of Hendo vs Vitor would get next title shot at either MW or LHW, Your referring to Tim Kennedy who at the time had one win in the UFC carried no title outside the UFC prior to coming to the UFC and had lost to Vitor's last opponent. But criticize him for taking a fight against a 2 time champion someone who he has lost to before? I would fully expect Thomson to turn down a challenge from Guillard, Lauzon, Johnson, etc. Beating lesser fighters doesn't dominate your division beating fellow contenders does.
    When did Fitch ever show a penchant for doing serious damage against any top level fighter with a decent defensive game ? The last legit top level fighter Fitch actually finished was Thiago Alves and that was in 2006 and that was still relatively early in Alves career. Fitch is not a finisher it's just not part of his repertoire look at the BJ Penn fight the third round BJ is completely gassed out and Fitch isn't playing it safe there and still does not finish him (and I'd say for sure he was trying). I don't really care who you sight as an example some fighters just aren't finishers. Not every hockey player is a goal scorer, not everyone in the nba can play good defense, and not everyone in the nfl kick field goals and not everyone in the UFC is going to KO or Submit people on a regular basis (or even a semi regular basis)

I do believe Kennedy was one of the names Vitor balked at fighting yes I seem to remember other names like Machida being throw out there as well. Henderson was not a particularly dangerous opponent for Vitor at this stage in both their respective careers. Henderson looked very lethargic and slow in his two previous fights. And there was absolutely no way Henderson was getting a LHW title shot off of a win there seen as he was on a 2 fight losing streak prior with better choices waiting. No real criticism for him taking the fight though just pointing out that he's not necessarily a stellar example to point out as someone that is willing to fight whoever while waiting for a title shot.

Quote Originally Posted by kingrobert View Post
    I wish all top contenders thought like this...
    They do. The "alleged" contenders that refuse to fight are not really contenders and don't deserve a title shot.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    They do. The "alleged" contenders that refuse to fight are not really contenders and don't deserve a title shot.
    Even though they earned the right to challenge for the title in the first place? It's not like they didn't win fights (normally) to get to the point where they can call themselves next in line for a title shot in the first place.

Why should they have to risk what could be a huge financial reward because the champ got injured?

Thread Information