Thread: Conor Heun details struggles with UFC insurance policy

Default Conor Heun details struggles with UFC insurance policy

Conor Heun details struggles with UFC insurance policy
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/1/5/...surance-policy
    Now, after three surgeries following his loss to Ryan Couture, Heun looks to be suffering similar financial setbacks, this time learning that the UFC's medical coverage is a bit more limited than he expected:

"I had torn labrums and I had what’s called an avulsion fracture, where my hip flexor was too tight so it pulled part of the pelvis where it attaches, it pulled like a chunk of the bone off. So the doctor went in and said well we’ll repair the labrum, but here on the right side you’ve got a mild case of hip dysplasia and it predisposes you to hip injuries, you know having the labrums tear when you’re grappling. So the left side it tore but he said it doesn’t look like it’s going to be susceptible to re-injury," Heun explained.

"The plan was go to in on the right side, they were going to repair the labrum, and do some stuff in there and then do this PAO (Periacetabular Osteotomy) where they basically change the way the femur fits in the pelvis to avoid contact between the ball of the femur and the labrum moving forward with martial arts."

Knowing that he was getting his injuries fixed once and for all made Heun a happy man, but it didn’t take long for a dark cloud to once again circle overhead when he found out that Zuffa’s medical insurance would not cover the preventative surgery.

"The problem is the UFC’s insurance basically said that doing the PAO was to prevent a future injury or was based on a pre-existing condition, and that wasn’t necessary. Of course they don’t tell the doctor that before he does the surgery because he could have just gone in and repaired the labrum, and when it tears the next fight we’ll repair it again," said Heun.

According to Heun the UFC's plan covered about $200,000 of his surgeries but stuck him on the last surgery, saying the claim was denied.

But yesterday Heun tweeted out the following:

Conor Heun ✔ @ConorHeun
    Follow

The @ufc said they were going to cover my surgery but not my rehab. So far I've got 30k in unpaid med bills and 9k already in collections.

I kinda stopped caring after the article said they covered 200k already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Well then how about you dont get any coverage at all like the good ole days. Quit your bitching

Man, 30K med bills is really hard to take. But by comparison, you HAVE to know that it could have been way worse, more than $230k worse. Hopefully he can work with the hospital to lower some of the costs and get on a payment plan or something.
    You have to know what you don't know.

I agree with all of you but they should've told him before the surgery that they weren't covering it.

Insurers gotta make they money.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Thread Information