Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WSOF vs. Bellator on pay-per-view? One promotion lays down a crossover challenge

Hybrid View

Default WSOF vs. Bellator on pay-per-view? One promotion lays down a crossover challenge

World Series of Fighting might be looking to shake things up a little bit in 2014.

The Las Vegas-based promotion on Monday issued a challenge to California-based Bellator MMA for what would appear to be a cross-promoted pay-per-view event.

WSOF matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz laid down the challenge on “The MMA Hour,” and the promotion then tweeted a proposed lineup of fights, copying in Bellator’s official Twitter account.

At the top of the bill of WSOF’s dream lineup is a fight between Bellator light heavyweight Quinton Jackson (33-11 MMA, 1-0 BMMA), a former UFC champ, and unbeaten WSOF light heavyweight and renowned kickboxer Tyrone Spong (2-0).

The as yet very hypothetical card also would feature a champion vs. champion fight with Bellator featherweight titleholder Daniel Straus (22-4 MMA, 8-1 BMMA) vs. Georgi Karakhanyan (22-3). Absent from the proposed lineup was WSOF’s other current champion, welterweight titleholder Steve Carl.

But the bouts WSOF is suggesting are not short on star power, including WSOF’s Anthony Johnson (15-4) vs. Bellator light heavyweight champ Attila Vegh (29-4-2 MMA, 5-0 BMMA); former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski (21-10) vs. Bellator champ Vitaly Minakov (13-0 MMA, 4-0 BMMA); and a fight between WSOF upcoming lightweight title challenger Justin Gaethje (10-0) and either former Bellator champ Michael Chandler (12-1 MMA, 10-1 BMMA) or current champ Eddie Alvarez (25-3 MMA, 9-1 BMMA).

Bellator MMA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Neither WSOF or Bellator have yet entered the pay-per-view business. WSOF is heading into its eight event later this month with broadcast partner NBC Sports Network. Bellator this past November scheduled its first pay-per-view, but when headliner Tito Ortiz fell out of a fight with Jackson, the pay-per-view was scrapped and turned into a regular event on Spike TV.

There likely would be plenty of hurdles to be cleared between NBC Sports Network, Spike TV and the promotions if such a cross-promoted event were to take place.

The 10-fight proposed lineup as tweeted by WSOF:
    •Quinton Jackson (BMMA) vs. Tyrone Spong (WSOF)
    •Anthony Johnson (WSOF) vs. Attila Vegh (BMMA)
    •Andrei Arlovski (WSOF) vs. Vitaly Minakov (BMMA)
    •Eduardo Dantas (BMMA) vs. Marlon Moraes (WSOF)
    •Yushin Okami (WSOF) vs. Alexander Shlemenko (BMMA)
    •Douglas Lima (BMMA) vs. Rousimar Palhares (WSOF)
    •Michael Chandler (BMMA) or Eddie Alvarez (BMMA) vs. Justin Gaethje (WSOF)
    •Georgi Karakhanyan (WSOF) vs. Daniel Straus (BMMA)
    •Jon Fitch (WSOF) vs. Rick Hawn (BMMA)
    •David Branch (WSOF) vs. Brett Cooper (BMMA)
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/01/wsof-vs...ver-challenge/
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

That sounds like a pretty pimp card. In the highly unlikely event that it would happen, that is.
    You have to know what you don't know.

wsof would do anything to get ahead right now... their last event in canada was a flop in terms of ticket sales and they're building stars off of ufc cuts. at least bellator is building their own stars and has their own system in place as a second option other than the ufc. wsof is supposed to be popping these new promotions all over the world but already they need to do a cross promotion with another established fight league?!?! whoever's in charge of doing their marketing and promotions needs to concentrate on building their brand and putting on sellout events across north america first. last event had 1500 attendance... pretty dismal for a 'world-class organization'.

I think this could really work. Especially if it can become a regular thing. Even annualy.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I'd like to see that card but I don't really feel like WSOF has earned the opportunity to do this. It seems more like a coattail thing at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

Looks like the best damn option going on outside the UFC. You line that card up between the two organizations and I'll lay down the cash. It's different and could make for a really decent card.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

I'd totally pay to see Sprong/Rampage. Rampage's legs would be going home in a body bag.

This is probably just a little bluster to hype WSOF and to show how the WSOF roster stacks up, which IMO would take most of the fights proposed.

Speaking of Bellator... They have been awfully quiet lately, no media, no announcements, no constant advertising on Spike (ok, so that last one is an assumption). What is up with that?

Thread Information