Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominick Cruz withdraws from UFC 169, Vacates title

Default Dominick Cruz withdraws from UFC 169, Vacates title

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/10...-vacates-title

UFC bantamweight Dominick Cruz has suffered a major setback in his attempt to return to the Octagon for the first time in more than two years.

A groin injury has forced Cruz, 28, to withdraw from a title unification bout against Renan Barao, which had been scheduled to headline UFC 169 on Feb. 1 in Newark.

Follow us on Twitter

Twitter Don't miss a moment of the latest MMA coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

Cruz, who last fought in October 2011, will vacate the title as a result of the injury. It's the first time a UFC champion has vacated the belt due to inactivity since 2005, when Frank Mir surrendered the heavyweight title following a motorcycle accident.

Barao (31-1) will now meet Urijah Faber (30-6) for the undisputed bantamweight title. The two met previously at UFC 149 in July 2012 for the interim title. Barao won the five-round bout via unanimous decision.

"Faber fought four times last year and won all four impressively," UFC president Dana White said Monday. "Thank God he wanted to step up on three weeks notice. He's pumped about it."

Cruz (19-1) suffered a torn ACL injury while training for an attempt at a third title defense against Faber in July 2012. He eventually underwent two surgeries that year on the knee, after complications arose from the first.
    what a fucking let down.

Default Dominick Cruz tears his Groin - Vacates title. Barao vs Faber for the BW belt 169

As per Dana White on Sportscenter. Cruz has a grade 3 groin tear and will now vacate his BW title. Faber steps up on 3 weeks notice to fight Barao....Man cruz cant catch a fucking break.

my bad on the double post. when i came here it wasnt posted yet.

That really sucks, wonder who they'll have Barao face on short notice? Faber didn't take too much damage his last fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist of Lemon View Post
    That really sucks, wonder who they'll have Barao face on short notice? Faber didn't take too much damage his last fight.
    Faber stepped up on short notice and will face barao at UFC 169

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    my bad on the double post. when i came here it wasnt posted yet.
    We posted at the same time, s'all good!

On Topic.... This reeeeeally sucks for Cruz. I can just imagine how crazy he is going right now. Guy must be going crazy just to be able to have a fight, wish him the best.

wow...

This sucks. I was hoping to see Barao smash Cruz for the title.

Even though I cant stand the guy, I wish him a speedy recovery. What's it going on, 3 years now since he fought?

Props to Faber for taking the short-notice fight at this level, fucking Cruz though....jeez so snakebite.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Props to Faber for taking the short-notice fight at this level, fucking Cruz though....jeez so snakebite.
    Definitely sucks for Cruz. He just can't catch a break. Huge props to Faber too. I understand he just fought 3 weeks ago and is still somewhat in fight shape, but quite dangerous of him to do so given that Barao is such a dangerous opponent who has already beaten him before. This is probably the last time we see Urijah get a title shot but then again, it's Urijah Faber.

Does anyone have the injury bug worse than Cruz right now? I feel so bad for the guy...and I been waiting to see him fight for a loooooooong ass time. Hope he recovers soon and gets his title back.

Thread Information