Thread: Reps want Anderson Silva to fight Georges St-Pierre upon UFC return

Default Reps want Anderson Silva to fight Georges St-Pierre upon UFC return

Reps want Anderson Silva to fight Georges St-Pierre upon UFC return

Jorge Guimaraes and Ed Soares, who’ve guided Silva’s career since his UFC debut in 2006, say the fighter’s recovery is going better than expected after surgery to repair the broken leg he suffered at UFC 168.

The process is going so well, in fact, the managers mused about a super- fight against Georges St-Pierre, if the former welterweight champ returns from a self-imposed hiatus. St-Pierre vacated his belt last month to deal with personal issues but suggested he would return.

“Don’t you think that’s an option?” Guimaraes told MMAjunkie when asked about Silva’s future.

Actually, the option was all the rage a few years ago when Silva (33-6 MMA, 16-2 UFC) and St- Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) were dominant champs. Despite UFC President Dana White’s repeated hints of the big fight, fans lost hope that it would ever materialize, and the fighters didn’t seem too jazzed about the prospect, either.

Silva once called the idea “bull(expletive).”

But it sounds as if his camp is keeping the faith.

“Man, if we were able to pull something like that off, it would be a win-win for everybody — the fans, the UFC,” Soares said in a separate interview. “I think that would be awesome.”

But for now, the reps will settle for Silva’s return to health. Guimaraes expects the fighter to begin physical therapy next week after stitches from the surgery come out this week.

“He’s walking around on crutches and raising his leg, and he’s just getting ready to start physical therapy when the doctor allows him,” Guimaraes said.

“He’s already moving his toes. I feel that positive vibe on him, and that’s what makes me believe he’s going to come back even stronger.”

Silva broke his left tibia and fibula when middleweight champion Chris Weidman (11-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) checked his leg kick in the second round of their rematch at the Dec. 28 UFC 168 event in Las Vegas. It was the second such injury to occur in the UFC after Corey Hill broke his right leg in a 2008 fight.

The doctor who repaired Silva’s leg the night of the event said the fighter could return to training in six to nine months. He added that Silva immediately asked him for a timeline, suggesting that speculation surrounding the 38-year-old’s potential retirement was premature.

Soares said the UFC covered the cost of the initial surgery and assumes the company will cover future medical bills.

“The UFC has been absolutely incredible to us and given us the best of everything,” said Soares, who lives two blocks from Silva in Los Angeles and said the champ was in good spirits during a visit Sunday.

“The way it looks now, (his recovery) looks great, and he’s only getting better every day.”
    * haha both fighters are currently inactive yet we are still hearing about this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

* haha both fighters are currently inactive yet we are still hearing about this fight.
    True...but this is the first time I've ever thought this fight would make sense.
    While Anderson recovers GSP can put on weight. More importantly, no belts would be help up!
    Last edited by SWIFTboy; 01-07-2014 at 02:43 PM.

I think it would make a great retirement fight for both of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

4. Default

Oh stop it already.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

It like losing in the Stanley cup final in 4 games and then wanting to challenge the AHL champion.

Doood. I heard Fedor is fighting brock as a co/main and then Hughes is giving Royce a rematch on the undercard.

....or...

bullshit.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    It like losing in the Stanley cup final in 4 games and then wanting to challenge the AHL champion.
    as a huge hockey and mma fan, I don't get your analogy, AHL is a massive step down from NHL in terms of talent, are you saying the WW division is a massive step down in talent? I just don't think this works.....

oh and I don't see this fight happening

Silva returns for a Bisping headliner or maybe even a Diaz super fight, GSP I see as taking at least a full year off before even thinking about fighting again.

I'd rather Anderson just retire, if it were up to me. From the articles circulating this week, it seems like that won't be the case.
    I suppose he still has a ton of money to make, and now doesn't have the constraint of the title to hold him back from just taking the big money fights.

I have this strange feeling he'll be calling for a title fight with a win against Bisping a year from now.

9. Default

Anderson is the new Muhammad Ali...and that isn't a compliment.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Holy fuck, why are people even still thinking out this fight? I didn't think it was a good idea when they were both champions, and although now if it were to happen they wouldn't be holding up two divisions, it's still a pretty douchy move on Anderson's rep's part to be calling out a retired fighter from a separate weight class.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information