Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabricio Werdum vs. Travis Browne targeted for main event spot in March

1. Default Fabricio Werdum vs. Travis Browne targeted for main event spot in March

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/1/8/...march-mma-news

UFC heavyweight contender Travis Browne made short work of Josh Barnett at UFC 168, and his next fight will be a main event showdown with Fabricio Werdum. While the fight hasn't been officially announced, Werdum spoke with MMA Fighting about the fight, and he expects it to take place in March:

"I had a meeting with Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta and told them I wanted to wait, but then I thought about it and saw that I would need to wait too much before my next fight," Werdum told MMAFighting.com. "You donít remember what you donít see."

"We donít have a date 100 percent confirmed yet, but I believe it's going to be in March," he continued. "I already know that itís going to be a main event, so it's a five-round fight. He doesnít have a good cardio, so thatís good for me. He's explosive when the fight starts, tries to finish it quickly, with jumping stuff and knockouts, so I see a lot of openings to defeat him."
    Werdum (17-5-1) has won 6 of his last 7 fights, and is 3-0 in his UFC return. His current win streak consists of Roy Nelson, hammerfist extraordinaire Mike Russow, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Obviously the high point of his career is his armbar win against Fedor Emelianenko in 2010 in Strikeforce.

Browne (16-1-1) has also won 6 of his last 7, and his last 3 wins have all featured violent finishes against the likes of Gabriel Gonzaga, Alistair Overeem, and Josh Barnett. He won "Knockout of the Night" honors in all of those performances and is ranked #3 in the UFC's heavyweight rankings behind 2nd ranked Werdum.

It is assumed that the winner of this bout will fight Cain Velasquez towards the end of the year. Velasquez is currently recovering from shoulder surgery, which put Werdum in the predicament of either waiting for Cain to recover or taking a fight against the Browne/Barnett winner. It's a massive opportunity for both men, and it should be a great scrap.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Can't see this being much of a draw. The heavyweight division hass seemingly lost the drawing power it once had and I have no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Can't see this being much of a draw. The heavyweight division hass seemingly lost the drawing power it once had and I have no idea why.
    I agree that it doesn't have the same amount of "buzz" around it, I'm actually really excited for this fight. Browne just keeps on knocking fools out, it's crazy.
    You have to know what you don't know.

AO sucks
    Mir is on the downside
    Randy is gone
    Lesnar is gone
    Shane Carwin is gone
    Nelson is on the downside

You've got Cain and JDS, some guys past their prime, some guys who haven't hit their prime, and some guys who never had a prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Just no depth in the HW division, the top couple guys are significantly better then the rest of the division, and there are really no solid prospects that are standing out as future contenders/champs.

And with guys like Mir, Overeem, and Nelson having poor showings that really doesn't help either.

I would love to see Browne pull this off. Not a big Werdum fan here. Maybe I'm just still a little bitter over the whole Fedor thing...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Whoever wins gets their skull polished and mounted in Cain's spaceship.

Still not sold on Browne, haven't seen enough of the overall game and wasn't impressed by his performances against Overeem and Bigfoot and IMO feel as though there's a gameplan out there to beat Browne and that some guys just don't have enough time to employ it(I think Gonzaga would've gotten him down and tapped/TKO'd him had he not gotten smashed by some incredibly suspect elbows).

Browne may be the "better athlete" here, but I still believe Werdum's BJJ is so great and his striking is capable enough and thoughtful enough not to get sloppy, while I believe that Browne isn't tremendously polished enough... I'm thinking Werdum gets a sub victory.

HW division has certainly taken a back seat from the recent high it was riding. I think Werdum/Browne has the making to be a good fight, however, I'm going to call a 1st round win for Brown (I've been burnt twice now). I'm looking forward to the fight but don't see this being a big draw for the UFC. They better stack a strong overall card.

At least it provides a true #1 contender to fight Cain. If AO def. Mir, I wouldn't mind seeing him matched up with JDS. Outside three fights (Werdum/Browne, AO vs JDS and Werdum/Browne winner vs Cain), I'm not seeing any great fights on the horizon.

Am I missing something?
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Thread Information