Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 123

Thread: Matt Brown: 'If I'm paying $60 to watch women fight, they should at least be topless'

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Significantly?

    Matt Arroyo, Ryan Thomas, Pete Sell, James Wilks...

    Even of recent, Stephen Thompson, Chris Cope, Luis Ramos, Mike Swick, Jordan Mein... Not exactly world class names.

    I would argue, the Miesha Tates and Sara Kaufmanns are a higher level of competition than the Luis Ramos' and down and out Mike Swicks.
    All of those guys you mentioned are better than pretty much every female fighter in the world.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    All of those guys you mentioned are better than pretty much every female fighter in the world.
    Yes, that is why half of them are not even active fighters anymore.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Very far
    Posts
    9,526

    Default

    Sorry but you can not compare any men's division with women's.

    WMMA is still extremely weak. The undisputed champion is someone that has only the armbar as the main weapon. All the time she uses the same strategy. She comes forward attacking with (sloppy) punches, gets into the clinch, takes down her opponent and from there she looks for the armbar. That has been her strategy for all her fights.

    You think that a man would be champion only having the armbar as the main weapon?
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff


  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Sorry but you can not compare any men's division with women's.

    WMMA is still extremely weak. The undisputed champion is someone that has only the armbar as the main weapon. All the time she uses the same strategy. She comes forward attacking with (sloppy) punches, gets into the clinch, takes down her opponent and from there she looks for the armbar. That has been her strategy for all her fights.

    You think that a man would be champion only having the armbar as the main weapon?
    I agree. Also, just think of all the guys that were at or near the top of any division in the UFC five years ago that aren't good enough to be in the UFC anymore, much less put together a four or five fight win streak.
    Last edited by RearNakedStroke; 01-11-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Sorry but you can not compare any men's division with women's.

    WMMA is still extremely weak. The undisputed champion is someone that has only the armbar as the main weapon. All the time she uses the same strategy. She comes forward attacking with (sloppy) punches, gets into the clinch, takes down her opponent and from there she looks for the armbar. That has been her strategy for all her fights.

    You think that a man would be champion only having the armbar as the main weapon?
    Remind me again what former Lightweight champion Sean Sherk's main weapon was? Aside from having an unguillotineable neck?

    Also I think that Rousey's Olympic level judo plays a much, much larger part in her success than her armbar. And hey, at least she finishes fights!

    Sherk's sloppy boxing and pitter-patter ground and pound was sufficient to win - and defend - a world title because his double leg was unstoppable and he had insane cardio. He also fought in a weak division (at the time). Then BJ came along and exposed just how limited he really was.

    There have been one dimensional UFC champions before, just not that recently. WMMA is behind the curve, but is rapidly catching up.

  6. 01-11-2014, 05:39 PM


  7. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Yes, that is why half of them are not even active fighters anymore.
    they are still better,

    It is the same thing as the WNBA. Those teams would lose to every team in the NBA D league and majority of international teams. If this wasn't the case then men and women would play together.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  8. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Remind me again what former Lightweight champion Sean Sherk's main weapon was? Aside from having an unguillotineable neck?

    Also I think that Rousey's Olympic level judo plays a much, much larger part in her success than her armbar. And hey, at least she finishes fights!

    Sherk's sloppy boxing and pitter-patter ground and pound was sufficient to win - and defend - a world title because his double leg was unstoppable and he had insane cardio. He also fought in a weak division (at the time). Then BJ came along and exposed just how limited he really was.

    There have been one dimensional UFC champions before, just not that recently. WMMA is behind the curve, but is rapidly catching up.
    This is exactly my point. Sherk can't hang in the UFC anymore. He was beating people in a thin talent pool back then, like Rousey is now. Matt Brown is in a much more talented division now and winning fights.

    No offense to female fighters, but their divisions are a lot like the early days of the UFC for the men.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

  9. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    This is exactly my point. Sherk can't hang in the UFC anymore. He was beating people in a thin talent pool back then, like Rousey is now. Matt Brown is in a much more talented division now and winning fights.

    No offense to female fighters, but their divisions are a lot like the early days of the UFC for the men.
    My post was directed at the claim that you wouldn't have a 1 dimensional male champion. Sherk is an example of that. Obviously he lost the belt in 2008, so it's a while (but not exactly eons) ago. If you're looking at a modern example then I'll throw out Ben Askren who like Rousey is an Olympic calibre grappler with an otherwise limited skillset.

    i actually agree that WMMA is behind MMA, but I'm curious as to how far behind you think it is. You mention the 'early days' - how early are we talking here? Pre weightclassses? Pre PRIDE merger?

  10. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    Pre Pride merger.

    But actually I would say its pretty close to the pre-weight class days.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

  11. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    hahahahahaha Matt Brown. I agree totally on the women part I really do not enjoy watching women fight, plus the UFC like favors them at this point and gives undeserved bonuses. cough rousey cough cough.
    Undeserved? you my friend are a idiot

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •