Thread: Bellator adds female featherweight division

Default Bellator adds female featherweight division

Bellator MMA has reestablished the women’s division with two top featherweights leading the forefront. New Bellator President Scott Coker has added Marloes Coenen and Julia Budd to the roster to start the next era of the Bellator women’s division.
    “We’re incredibly excited to bring in two of the best athletes competing in our sport today,”Coker said.
    “We are making a commitment to bring back the female division to Bellator, and feature some of the world’s best in the Bellator cage.”
    A former Strikeforce Bantamweight Champion and Remix World Cup Champion, Coenen has recorded a 21-6 professional record with 15 wins coming by submission and 12 in the first round. Ranked as the number two featherweight in the world, Coenen is ready to get back in the cage and put on an explosive performance for the fans in the first female fight under Coker’s reign.
    "After fighting professionally for over 15 years, I am honored to be invited into the Bellator cage,” Coenen said.
    “Fighting for Bellator brings my spirit back for fighting! It is great to be working together with Scott Coker again as we both have the same vision on fighting. My style is fighting with the objective to knock my opponent out or to submit her. That is exactly what I am planning to do the very first second I step into the Bellator cage.”
    Budd joins Bellator riding a four-fight win streak and is currently ranked as the number three featherweight in the world. Having previously fought for Strikeforce and Invicta, the Canadian striker is known for her strong Muay Thai background and is looking for a strong finish in her return to the bright lights.
    “I’m ecstatic about the opportunity that Bellator is giving the 145 female division and I’m especially excited to be one of the first females to fight for Scott Coker under the Bellator banner,” Budd said.
    “This gives me the opportunity to showcase my skills as one of the best fighters in the world on one of the biggest stages in the world.”
    Coenen and Budd are scheduled to square off later this year inside the Bellator cage live on Spike TV.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mm...163140585.html

Well I was bang on with that one.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a Gina and Cyborg signing real soon.

It will be interesting to see how the UFC reacts to this new division. They cant shit talk WMMA as their biggest PPV queen is Rousey.

Coenen talks Bellator signing and says Carano fighting Rousey at 135 would 'kill her career'
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/8/14...ighting-rousey
    BE: Funny you should say that because there have been a lot of rumors that Gina Carano would also be rekindling her old relationship with Scott Coker and signing with Bellator MMA...

If Gina is smart she will sign with Bellator. She can fight at 145lbs, she won’t have to cut to 135lbs, it is a more normal weight for her. She had a lot of problems making 145lbs and I have fought at 135lbs and I know how bad that made me feel, so for her... I think she can show her talent better at 145lbs and I really want to fight her.

BE: What do you think about the UFC’s proposal to have Carano come off a five-year layoff and straight into a title fight against an ultra-dominant champion ten pounds below her usual fighting weight?

I think if she wants to kill her career she should take that 135lbs match with Ronda Rousey right away. I think for her it would be more interesting to go to Bellator and fight at 145lbs and win a few fights, then see where she is up to.

BE: By coincidence both Rousey and Carano have been making headway in their movie careers of late. Why haven’t you headed for the Hollywood hills?

Haha! I don’t think Hollywood wants me! No, I’m a Dutch woman so maybe that is a factor.

But I remember when Ronda Rousey was first getting out there I was like ‘oh my god, what is it with this girl?’ But then I met her in Japan and she was such a sweet girl. I don’t say that I agree with everything she does but she is making a name for herself and I respect that.

BE: Do you respect her as a fighter or is her opposition too easy? (And I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way).

Her last fight was amazing, I really enjoyed watching that, but I think she really needs to be tested. She started with judo at 155lbs, then Strikeforce at 145lbs and then there were rumors she was to fight Cyborg so dropped to 135lbs...

I think a lot of girls are overwhelmed when they face her, they aren’t able to deal with that pressure and so they are nervous because of all the build-up and all the crowd rooting for her. She’s really good but I want to see her tested by a more seasoned fighter.

I am not saying the competition is bad but the pressure, with all the media and stuff like that, it can be very hard. Ronda has to be mentally very strong to deal with that kind of pressure and her opponents have to as well. But I think Cat Zingano can do a great job.

BE: What about Cyborg, do you think we will see her joining you in Bellator’s 145lbs division?

If she is smart she goes to Bellator but maybe she will stay with Invicta, who knows? I see she is going to fight at 135lbs now and I really hope she has a doctor to help her make that cut, I really mean that. that’s from my heart. It is going to be so hard.

But it would be great if she came to Bellator. I would be there, Julia there, Cyborg, Gina... it would be the old Strikeforce days again. It would be a really good division.

BE: The fact that Scott Coker has taken over from Bjorn Rebney as CEO, is that a positive in your mind?

Yeah definitely. When I was fighting for Strikeforce the vibe was very relaxed, how people treated you and how they talked to you.

The same way that the culture of a gym is decided by the trainer, if you have a jackass you will have a lot of negative people there but if the trainer is good there will be a nice warm atmosphere. I think maybe it is the same with the CEO of a company.

I know Scott is very relaxed and calm and I really like that.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 08-14-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Report: Cris Cyborg not interested in Bellator women's division, still chasing UFC's Ronda Rousey at 135
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/8/15/60...nda-rousey-mma
    according to a report from MMA Weekly.

After news broke on Bellator rekindling its women's division, MMAWeekly.com sources close to the fighter reassured that Cyborg currently has no intent to join Bellator's 145-pound class. She instead wants to stick to her plan of dropping down to 135 pounds and eventually getting a shot at UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey.

Basically, they've added one really good women's fighter in Coenen, who doesn't want to cut to 135(otherwise she'd be with UFC, since the Golden Glory issue is long forgotten) and Budd, who is decent but it's not like the UFC were knocking down her door.

At this point in the game, I feel as though this 145 division will be designed for a few stars they'll want to build around and heavily protect(that could mean BIG MONEY thrown at Carano, but Viacom would have to give her a development deal and UFC will still work to match) and then there'll be a bunch of scrubs, wouldn't shock me if we see names like Fallon Fox show up and a lot of women with sub .500 records and 3-2 records.

IMO, any woman fighter worth their salt (who can make either 135 or will angle for 115) will look to get hooked up with the UFC, since their divisions are still quite shallow and those looking to make their names are going to set their sights on Invicta, as they have the working relationship with UFC and are something of the WEC for them at this point...

Agreed. It just doesn't seem that there are a lot of women fighters at 145. I looks like it was made to accommodate Coenen and hope for Carano and Cyborg.

You can't dismiss all the UFC rejects that would
    Rather not cut the weight or could see a carrer
    Resurrection with a weight change and easier prey.

Though when I saw headline I figured it was all about signing cyborg.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

I think it's a great thing for wmma, another place of employment is nothing but a good thing.
    Say what you want about Coker but he does find talent and seems like a guy most fighters like working with, he also has great relationships with a lot of gyms and other promotions.

It's amazing how Coker went from being one of the worst promoters in MMA to being a great promoter. I don't see how he's not a "puppet" the same way he was with showtime. I still think Bellator lost something special when they gave up their tourney format and became just like every other promotion.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Coker confirms discussions with Carano
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...s-with-Carano/

Scott Coker on Carano, 'Cyborg' and picking up top-tier women's talent
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/bellato...-womens-talent

Scott Coker: Mayhem Miller to Bellator is 'worth a conversation'
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/18...a-conversation

Scott Coker on War Machine's release: 'We were not going to be associated with that'
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/18...ot-going-to-be

Discuss
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 08-19-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Thread Information