Thread: James Te Huna will drop to Middleweight after 'embarassing' loss to Shogun

1. Default James Te Huna will drop to Middleweight after 'embarassing' loss to Shogun

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/1/9/529...shogun-rua-mma

James Te Huna is the latest in a string of fighters looking for a fresh start in a new weight class as the hard-hitting (soon-to-be former) Light Heavyweight has announced his intentions to drop down to Middleweight.

When it comes to New Year resolutions, losing weight is atop most lists.

James Te Huna's included.

The hard-hitting Light Heavyweight looks to start 2014 on the right foot after a forgettable 2013 -- which saw the him end the year with two straight losses -- by dropping down to Middleweight.

And after competing at 205 pounds for his entire mixed martial arts (MMA) career, Te Huna hopes shedding 20 pounds will right his ship.

He revealed his plans for 2014 to MMA Corner:

"It was a pretty embarrassing loss, and last year was a pretty bad year for me. I had a lot of issues going into my fight in London, and we tried to work some things out in my time off between fights. And then there was that embarrassing knockout to finish the year off. This year, I am excited to take on a new challenge and take on a drop to middleweight. It's about making a fresh new start and taking on a new challenge, and I know I'll be able to make middleweight. Middleweight is probably a bit more of a natural weight for me. Right now, I am always eating so that I can stay up at light heavyweight. I'm one of the lightest guys at light heavyweight, so I know that if I eat normally I'll be able to hit middleweight. I've been fighting at light heavyweight for my whole career, but I think that this challenge is the right move."
    Before Te Huna accepts a fight in his new weight class, he intends to do a couple of test cuts just make sure his body responds to it well; however, he says he should have no issues shedding the extra baggage.

Te Huna was last seen going to sleep inside the Octagon at UFC Fight Night 33 thanks to the vicious hands of Mauricio Rua as the Brazilian bomber connected with a clean left hook that left the New Zealander out for the count early in round one (watch it again here).

Prior to that, Te Huna was submitted by current No. 1 Light Heavyweight contender Glover Teixieira at UFC 160 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

damn, he's already a huge LHW, how the hell is he going to make MW?

Not to mention that power and stature were far from being his issues.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

4. Default

I'm sure it's either that or get cut.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    I'm sure it's either that or get cut.
    I highly doubt they would cut him after two loses when one was against the # 1 contender and another (that he was the favorite in) against one of the greatest of all time.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I like Te Huna cause he's a kiwi and all but I'm just not convinced he's world class in any division.

Leben retirement fight announced ahead of time. Should sell main card or prelim solid fight for any card.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    Leben retirement fight announced ahead of time. Should sell main card or prelim solid fight for any card.
    Leben just threw in the towel vs a guy who was going to be cut. No way they give him a step up in competition.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information