Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royce Gracie named #44 greatest athlete of all time

He's one of the most influential athletes, not even close to one of the greatest.

Royce deserves respect for winning 3 UFC's (tournament style too) and helping usher in this great sport, but I wouldn't have him in my top 50 athletes of all time. Just my opinion.

When I think of all the sports in the world, then all the North American sports alone, plus women, I have a hard time even putting him in my top 100.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Quote Originally Posted by earle View Post
    Royce deserves respect for winning 3 UFC's (tournament style too) and helping usher in this great sport, but I wouldn't have him in my top 50 athletes of all time. Just my opinion.

When I think of all the sports in the world, then all the North American sports alone, plus women, I have a hard time even putting him in my top 100.
    They were all hand picked opponents tho anyone that could give him trouble wasn't invited.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    They were all hand picked opponents tho anyone that could give him trouble wasn't invited.
    True, though he still won the fights, and even took an ass-whooping from Kimo enroute to submitting him. The guy was maybe 170lbs soaking wet too. It was a long time ago, and very few people knew what BJJ was, but I still respect Royce.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

may # 44 influential athlete but certainly nowhere near that when it comes to "best" not even remotely near.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    That doesn't make him the 44th best athlete of all time.
    Maybe not but what was the formula for divining the 50 was. Because if it was based on athletic prowess this list would be nothing but male gymnasts and maybe a few swimmers.

Top # lists are always subjective to the writer. To contradict them is to contradict someone else's perception of the world. There is no point.

Thread Information