Thread: Report: UFC 168 Tops 1 million PPV Buys

Default Report: UFC 168 Tops 1 million PPV Buys

Report: UFC 168 Tops 1 million PPV Buys

On Figure Four Online’s podcast last night talking about the WWE Network launch details, Dave Meltzer also broke the news that UFC 168 did between 1 to 1.1 million PPV buys. This is the highest PPV buy rate since July 2010.
    Shane Carwin faced Brock Lesnar at UFC 116. That show did just over 1 million PPV buys. While there have been a couple shows since then that have hit the 900Ks in buys, the UFC has not seen another PPV hit this benchmark until now.

UFC 168 was fueled by the rematch of Anderson Silva-Chris Weidman and Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey. The marketing and promotion for this event was over the top as the UFC pulled out all the stops (except a UFC Primetime) in promoting the event. For the most part, the fights did not disappoint except maybe for the gruesome ending of the Silva-Weidman match.
    Also, the $5 bump in PPV cost did not seem to hurt the buy rate as many folks decided it was worth the extra money to watch the fights.

Payout Perspective:

Anyone else find it interesting that the UFC released its PPV numbers the same time that the WWE announced the details and launch date of its network? Still, the numbers bring up the UFC PPV average for 2013 up to 475,385 (assuming 1.1M for UFC 168). This outdoes the prior two years which shows that the UFC PPV business is not dying and it’s still a viable revenue stream. Is UFC 168 the recipe for PPV success? If so, what was the driving force behind it? The featured fighters or the promotion for the event? Hopefully for the UFC, it will not be another 3 years before it sees another 1 million PPV event.

You're welcome UFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

This doesn't surprise me but it would surprise me if any event in 2014 came near these numbers.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    This doesn't surprise me but it would surprise me if any event in 2014 came near these numbers.
    Really? What makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Whenever I see any numbers hit close to or surpass the 1 million mark today, I always think to myself that it's so impressive that UFC 66 headlined by Liddell and Ortiz did those numbers back in 2006. Back then there wasn't the same popularity, not much media coverage, no network deal (spike only launched TUF in 2005), and they hadn't even begun their international expansion (their return to England happened in 2007).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Whenever I see any numbers hit close to or surpass the 1 million mark today, I always think to myself that it's so impressive that UFC 66 headlined by Liddell and Ortiz did those numbers back in 2006. Back then there wasn't the same popularity, not much media coverage, no network deal (spike only launched TUF in 2005), and they hadn't even begun their international expansion (their return to England happened in 2007).
    Respect
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

This is a card if put together I think could get 1.3 or better.

Main Card
    Jones vs Goose 2
    Pettis vs Melendez
    Diego vs Nate Diaz
    Dustin vs Zombie 2
    Varner vs Cerrone 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus81 View Post
    This is a card if put together I think could get 1.3 or better.

Main Card
    Jones vs Goose 2
    Pettis vs Melendez
    Diego vs Nate Diaz
    Dustin vs Zombie 2
    Varner vs Cerrone 3
    no way in hell that even cracks a million. I'd say 750,000 at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Really? What makes you say that?
    If you look at the all time ppv numbers, the most bought ppvs featuring active fighters that did not have gsp, brock or silva is Jones vs Evans at 700,000 buys. That fight had all the hype in the world and Evans is well known to the casuals and has been part of some of the most successful events in history.

After that 700,000 all of Jones ppvs went down hill and he is the guy the UFC tries to amke the next Silva in terms of drawing power. People saying the epic war with goose will put him over the hump. That fight was only seen by 300,000 something people.

Cain is the least popular heavyweight champion in history and despite how awesome they are the average joe doesn't care about anybody below 170. Maybe Weidman can become a draw in the love him/hate him kind of way but I am worried for the UFC's popularity going forward.

no way in hell that even cracks a million. I'd say 750,000 at best.
    If you look at the all time ppv numbers, the most bought ppvs featuring active fighters that did not have gsp, brock or silva is Jones vs Evans at 700,000 buys. That fight had all the hype in the world and Evans is well known to the casuals and has been part of some of the most successful events in history.

After that 700,000 all of Jones ppvs went down hill and he is the guy the UFC tries to amke the next Silva in terms of drawing power. People saying the epic war with goose will put him over the hump. That fight was only seen by 300,000 something people.

Cain is the least popular heavyweight champion in history and despite how awesome they are the average joe doesn't care about anybody below 170. Maybe Weidman can become a draw in the love him/hate him kind of way but I am worried for the UFC's popularity going forward.
    I agree here. Cards that have strong competitive fights alone draws to a certain amount. Hype and very marketable (and I do emphasize "very") fighters or fights sell the rest. Just look at the top selling UFC PPVs all time and the recipe is very similar.

Jones is a marketable fighter based on his dominance, but he's not a "very" marketable fighter. You can see that in his numbers alone. To me, he's similar to the pre-Sonnen-rivalry Anderson Silva.

If UFC wants to break its own record of 1.6 million buys, a few things have to come together. Look at UFC 100:
    [1] A spectacle on its own much: the 100th show
    [2] Multiple title fights: HW and WW
    [3] Very marketable fighters: Brock, GSP
    [4] Hype: Mir/Brock rivalry and Hendo/Bisping coming off of TUF
    [5] Strong competitive fights: GSP/Alves (it was supposed to be GSP's strongest test at that time)

Also having a strong undercard helps, but honestly that is not necessary at all for getting record PPV buys.

If you want a similar recipe:
    [1] Spectacle: UFC 200
    [2] Multiple title fights: LHW and Women's BW
    [3] Very marketable fighters: this is a hard one as currently no active fighter in UFC is "very" marketable. I guess we have to stick with quite marketable but not at the peak yet like Rousey and Jones. Makes me realize how badly UFC needs big stars.
    [4] Hype: Rousey/Cyborg and Jones/Cormier
    [5] Strong competitive fights: Both of the above are probably the champion's most competitive fights to date.

Put in a couple of strong undercard attractive fighters like BJ vs. Nate Diaz at 155, and Frankie vs. Faber at 145 to complete the card a bit and I think this is a very feasible card to make (without throwing in every big fighter, all title fights and only using active fighters [Anderson and GSP are not active]).

Thread Information