Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keith Kizer resigns as executive director of Nevada State Athletic Commission

1. Default

Updated: Keith Kizer leaving position as NSAC executive director, heading to Attorney's General office
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/1/10...general-office

UPDATE: MMA Fighting got statements from both Kizer and NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar:

"It's time to move on," Kizer said in a statement, via the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "It's time to go back to being an attorney."
    According to NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar, Kizer's decision to step down was not forced, but one of his own accord. A search for Kizer's replacement is already underway.

"The board is grateful to Keith for his nearly eight years of dedicated service, which included the commission's strongest years with regard to health and safety and fiscal soundness," Aguilar said in a statement. "My fellow commissioners and I wish Keith all the best in his new role."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Bet Vitor is happy.
    My money has always been on Vitor getting a TUE, Kizer or no Kizer.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. I was thinking maybe Kizer was against some illegal shit that was about to go down or was a part of it and was about to get caught.
    I think your tinfoil hat needs an adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. The article says effective immediately yet the tweet it screen shotted said effective January 27
    The initial tweets were incorrect. The story was accurately reported a couple hours after they broke. Nothing shady, nothing to do with Vitor, he's getting a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    Damnit I really wanted Keizer to bust viTRTor.
    Seriously? Look at the history:

chael sonnen admits under oath that he took TRT at insanely high levels, effectively abusing it to a PED level. He also lies under oath about Kizer's knowledge and complicity. Kizer uses stronger language about sonnen never getting licensed than he does about Belfort--and yet, within a couple years, sonnen is fighting in Vegas.

Then compare sonnen's failed test--and the supplementary testimony from his own mouth--to Vitor's case: Vitor had a very plausible reason for his failed test that didn't include intentional PED use and a licensed doctor who admitted administering a shot for rehabbing an injury--all of which was common treatment at the time.

Of the two cases, sonnen is infinitely more shady, and he still got licensed.
    A title fight including Belfort brings money to Vegas. Vegas likes money. Kizer's bosses like Vegas to have money. The PR hit isn't even as potentially negative as things that they've already done, but rather falls under just-enough-controversy-to-put-it-in-the-public-eye level.

I can't help but conclude that Belfort was getting a TUE, with some guidelines.

My concern is more focused on how Kizer's successor feels about mandated training and regular performance evaluations for MMA officials, refs and judges. That has an impact on ALL MMA fights, not just the ones that have using/abusing fighters connected to them.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

3. Default

ViTRTor could always go back to TRT land?

4. Default

Big John McCarthy celebrates Keith Kizer's decision to leave the NSAC
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/1/11...torney-general

News broke last night that Keith Kizer will no longer be the Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director, opting for a position in the Attorney General's office instead. Famed referee "Big" John McCarthy hasn't refereed an MMA event in Nevada since 2007, and his longstanding grudge with Kizer elicited this simple response through Twitter:

Big John McCarthy @JohnMcCarthyMMA
    Follow
    Oh my, what a great day!!! LMMFAO !!!!!
    7:35 PM - 10 Jan 2014
    If you're not hip and up to date on the chatspeak lingo, I suggest a quick look at this.

McCarthy last applied for a license in 2009 after his 2007 retirement and brief, subsequent work in broadcasting (for Affliction). The application was rejected by Kizer, citing no need for additional referees at the time. Big John has been critical of Kizer and the NSAC several times in the past. As recently as last September, following CJ Ross' inexplicable 114-114 scorecard for Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Canelo Alvarez, McCarthy said Kizer "does not know combative sports" and had no interest in reffing any fights in Nevada if Kizer was still in charge.

Kizer is out of the picture now, although that isn't necessarily the sole barrier separating McCarthy from returning to Nevada. It still does change the scenery for McCarthy does want back in, and time will tell whether the end of Kizer's reign is a stepping stone towards seeing him back in a UFC cage for big Las Vegas pay-per-views.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I wonder if McCarthy would be an effective replacement?

I mean, he doesn't have the political chops to get the job, but I generally look at less political background as a bonus. And it would be a short-term loss for MMA to not have him available anywhere else...but I'd love to see him push through an agenda of training and evaluation for judges, refs...and for trainers looking to get licensed in the state.

I've referred to Kizer as a camera-hungry idiot, and I haven't changed my perspective...but the CSAC's problems didn't end when Armando Garcia was run out of town...

...and into the arms of the Fertittas.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

WHOOOP WHOOOP Thats the sound of the POLICE
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Thread Information