Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva doesn’t think he lost to Chris Weidman

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    But when did Lesnar ever duck a fight? The only fight he missed that he was supposed to take was JDS and he was kind of in the hospital at the time.

Not pulling the trigger meaning in the fight he wouldn't have let his hands go after the first engage.

Never said Lesnar would duck. I actually like Lesnar and think he believes he can beat anybody, and being a figher, thats what he's supposed to think.

yes lets make Weidman beat silva THREE times before you loose your doubt. Its ok...LOVE is blind. I make excuses for the ones I love also.

Keep in mind. its ok that Weidman has Silvas number. its ok. cry...let it all out.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

For every champion there is always someone that will come along and be better, it's true in every sport. Weidman > Silva sorry its the truth
    Believe in Chimichanga's

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    For every champion there is always someone that will come along and be better, it's true in every sport. Weidman > Silva sorry its the truth
    Rocky Marciano *cough cough*

5. 01-18-2014, 09:01 PM

Ed Soares: I wouldn't say Chris Weidman beat Anderson Silva, but he won the fight and should be respected
    From The Hollywood MMA:

"I do think he'll make a full recovery and I do think he'll be back. I haven't lost any belief in Anderson Silva, I believe in him just as much now as I always have, I still think he's the greatest fighter of all time and hats off to Chris Weidman, he beat Anderson Silva twice."

The head cheese at Resurrection Fighting Alliance (RFA) also gave his opinion on whether or not Weidman's victory should appear with an asterisk due to the way it all went down in December at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

"Regardless, he won the fight. I wouldn't say he beat him, but he won the fight. He won the competition and you have to congratulate him -- what he's done nobody's ever been able to do, one of them is knock out Anderson Silva and the other thing is beat Anderson Silva twice. Nobody's ever done that, so congratulations to him. Regardless if it's [way he won] controversial people are going to say things and yeah there's something [the injury] but at the end of the day he went out there and won the fight. He should be respected -- he was counted out both times. Chris Weidman should be respected."

he wouldn't say Weidman beat him...but then goes on to say that he's done what nobody else has, in KOing Anderson "and the other thing is beat Anderson Silva twice."

so in the wake of Anderson's topple from the championship, soares is reduced to contradicting himself within 30 seconds, as opposed to stretching it out over days or at least hours like he used to.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I am going to go out on a limb here (as I duck for cover!) and say that Silva could make the argument that he beat himself. In the 1st fight, he lost due to his clowning around. In the 2nd fight, he lost due to a freak accident.

Yes, Weidman dominated the 1st round of the 2nd fight, but how often do we see Silva holding back the 1st round to feel out his opponents, and then get busy from the 2nd round onward?

We still have not seen a fight where Silva is dead serious (meaning dropping the clowning antics), and Weidman beating him by something other than a freak accident. I still want to see that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb here (as I duck for cover!) and say that Silva could make the argument that he beat himself. In the 1st fight, he lost due to his clowning around. In the 2nd fight, he lost due to a freak accident.

Yes, Weidman dominated the 1st round of the 2nd fight, but how often do we see Silva holding back the 1st round to feel out his opponents, and then get busy from the 2nd round onward?

We still have not seen a fight where Silva is dead serious (meaning dropping the clowning antics), and Weidman beating him by something other than a freak accident. I still want to see that fight.
    Then you completely missed the 1st round where Chris knocked out Anderson twice, eyes rolled back and all. Everyone can call this a fluke just like they called Anderson's win over Vitor a fluke. But it doesn't change the outcome.

Dan, I hope you don't get flamed for this, but you're waaaaay off.

Anderson himself said he wasn't clowning. He was 100% dead serious and it was part of his strategy.
    One more time for the record-book:
    Anderson generally sports a significant reach advantage. With that reach advantage, a fighter with Anderson's skills--specifically head movement and counter striking--can set up his opponents: they commit to a strike when he's just out of their range, but they're still within his range to effectively counter. They swing and miss, he swings and connects.

Against Weidman, he not only didn't have the size advantage he often sports, but Weidman didn't haplessly windmill lefts and rights alternately. While he was still in range, Chris doubled up on the left that initially stuns Anderson, and then dropped him.

It wasn't clowning. It was 100% strategy, only Weidman's strategy was better. That's what happens to champions: you get talented kids who grow up dreaming about fighting them. They watch every fight, over and over. They dissect every bit of film, from training vids to actual bouts. And if they're lucky, they come up with a plan that works.

Chris Weidman and his team watch film. In the dark. All night long.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

100 % agree however I think it is largely irrelevant and takes away from what really happened.

Yes Anderson was clowning in the first fight, yes it was a freak injury that his leg broke in the second fight HOWEVER there are 3 key things we all have to keep in mind.

1. Its not like Silva all the sudden got cocky, he has clowned before and just got away with it
    2. Its not like he all the sudden threw a bad kick or caught it up in the cage, the kick was thrown poor technique and got checked
    3. In both fights Silva fought like Silva fights and he lost. It really is that simple.

Now, do I think skill wise if Silva changed things up he could beat Wiedman? Its possible. I would never put something like that past Silva. I would also say that if you take away the clowning and the leg injury it would still be no greater than a 50/50 chance, although I personally wouldn't put it that high. Sometimes you just have to stop thinking and believe what you see and what I saw was Silva missing Wiedman when he was throwing punches.

That, to me is the defining moment(s) of the fight. Forget the dancing, for the break, for get the clench with knees that made it look like Silva had something going........

Silva one of if not the most accurate striking in the UFC swung repeatedly (not just once) and Wiedman just simply was not there. In my opinion thats what tells me Wiedman won the fights. Everything else is just filler and excuses.

Thread Information