Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Anderson Silva doesn’t think he lost to Chris Weidman

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    Oh, I expected to get flamed, hence the "duck for cover" part!

What Silva says about himself not clowning; I call someone who has their hands completely down, goading his opponent to come over here and hit him, taunting him with his hands down while he is standing right in front of him - that, my friend, even if it doesn't translate from Portuguese, is clowning. I recently watched a broadcast of Silva/Okami. He wasn't doing any of that shit. He got right down to business and kicked Okami's ass. That's the Silva I want to see fight Weidman.
    Regarding Silva's clowning - or degrees thereof - it's to serve a purpose as Riv said.

Silva wasn't as theatrical with Okami because Okami is nowhere near the striker that Weidman is. He shuffled in against Silva throwing the same robotic step-jab with zero head movement the engire fight. This gave Silva control of the range and also allowed him to predict what Okami would do and against a killer like Silva that is all he needed. So there was no need to ramp the clowning into overdrive as Okami had already handed him what he wanted.
    Sure, there were the gestures to remind Okami that he had no business being in there with him, to sow fear and doubt and make him even more tentative but Silva had him right where he wanted him before he even stepped in the cage.

Weidman didn't do that. He showed zero fear of Silva from the get-go and closed the range intelligently using feints, sharp footwork and strikes thrown with intent. He wrested control of range from Silva early on and refused to relinquish it. When Silva clowned him him he didn't take the bait and stuck to his gameplan. Silva clowned harder. Weidman still didn't bite. Silva ramped it up to 11 because not because he was careless or arrogant but because nothing other than leg kicks were landing. Weidman then set a trap that
    not only used Silva's freakish reflexes against him, but a trap that literally would not work against any other middleweight competing at the time. The trap worked and he got the TKO.

The Bonnar fight is a good example of Silva clowning for a purpose. If you watch that fight again Bonnar has him pinned up against the cage early, and lands a nasty elbow to Silva's ear that visibly hurts him. From that point onwards Silva starts the mind games, the refusing to move away from the fence, the seemingly arrogant absorption of the 1-2-3 that Bonnar throws in every fight. You can see this freeze Bonnar up, he becomes tentative and Silva merks him.

If you want to know why Silv clowns to the degree he does in a given fight, look at what his opponent is doing. Are there opportunities there to counter-strike? Are they looking flustered? How close are they to breaking mentally?

its not a 1-clown-fits-all deal (1x swear in Portugese followed by 2x booty-shakes and a Matrix dodge) but a tactic that is used as the situation dictates.

Great post, as usual Goremire, I agree with all of that. Okami isn't a threat from striking range. His most effective strikes come from the clinch or against grounded opponents. I can't remember the last time he rocked someone from range. Thus Anderson didn't need to set up a counter once an opponent was over-committed, he could simply work magic at will against an inferior striker--and one he had a reach advantage on.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    I am not taking anything away from Weidman - I am a fan. But at the end of the day, his wins over Silva do leave me dissatisfied. I didn't watch either fight and come away feeling that Weidman dominated Silva's ass, and there's a new king in town. Yes, Weidman is the Champ, but I would love to see them go at it again.
    I can understand that. Anderson has been cloaked in so much hype, it's hard to see him as human. The lack of a definitive "normal" win can raise questions that wouldn't be raised in any other case.

In all sincerity, I think Weidman beats Anderson 9 times out of 10. Unless Anderson goes back to the lab and pulls out some absolutely new, weird shit that nobody has ever seen from him--or anyone else--I think Weidman has his number. Chris is too big, too strong, too talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Weidman's offense did not constitute a royal beatdown.
    No. Hyperbole works both ways.

But he outstruck and outgrappled Anderson in every round they've fought. He had Anderson in trouble more than once in each fight, and at no point did Anderson have him fazed, never mind in danger.

And he finished him twice.

Neither were "dominating" wins, but they were clear, and they should have been convincing to anyone who is watching without bias.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    knocked him down from the clinch, ground and punded him mercilessly and than broke his leg while exposing Silva's poor leg kicking technique. Sounds like a beat down to me.
    I know Bas called it poor, but it's been effective thus far. I can't remember who pointed it out [Gore? Swift? Sorry that you're not getting appropriate credit here] but by not turning his hips into the strike, Anderson gains speed. He's able to slap kicks and work them into combinations more effectively. It worked for him for seven years, until someone watched enough film to generate a plan, and then had the skills to implement it.

It's not that Anderson is bad. It's not even that he lost a step. It's not that his technique sucked. It's that Weidman studied and came up with an effective answer for everything he saw.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

These last two posts should definitively end this discussion. Brilliant job you two. Hats off to the both of you.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Im just talking about how most ppl will jump off the bandwagon if he loses. And don't be so quick to write Vitor off, the only old school fighter who actually seems to be adding more tools to his arsenal rather than being one dimensional.

Vitor's most recent losses have only come from Silva and Jones.

I'm not writing Vitor off I would Love for him to win, he is my second favorite fighter of all time. I just feel Chris has all the right tools to end the night badly for Vitor. And Vitor really only has the advantage in the boxing. I think Chris has superb top control, great BJJ defense, and better kick boxing. Again would love for Vitor to win but I have to go with my brain and not my heart on this.

BJ sounds ESL in thay video.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thread Information