+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Georges St. Pierre makes his first public appearance since UFC167

Default Georges St. Pierre makes his first public appearance since UFC167

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/1...e-since-ufc167
    "She asked if I'm coming back to UFC?"

Then he answered it.

"I'm taking a break now," he began.

"Because I'm an obsessive guy, I give myself a challenge which automatically will mean me working on it to obtain it. So right now I take a break. I don't give myself any preference, you know. There is a chance I will come back."

In a curtained off VIP-area where St. Pierre was made available for exclusive interviews with Global TV and your correspondent, he elaborated.

"I just took a break. I spent Christmas time and New Years, with my family. That's something I haven't done for a long time. This is the first time I've really had nothing on my schedule. It was perfect. It was fun. It's the first time it felt so good.

"I'm 32 years old and this is the first time I have my Christmas with my family. I spent some time but I never really had free time, total free time like I did. It was time for me to do it. I'm very happy I did it and I don't regret any of it.

"So Christmas was incredible and now for 2014 we'll see what's going to happen. I have some projects in mind. I can't talk about it, unfortunately."

Some fans wondered if GSP announced his retirement because he felt like he'd lost his last fight despite a decision which retained his world middleweight title.

"I do believe I win the fight. I believe I win the first, third and fifth rounds. It was a very tough fight. In terms of scoring, it was probably the toughest fight I had. In terms of damage it was not the toughest fight. I was a very close fight. I know some people they score it on the other side and some people score it for me. I respect everybody's opinion. But I would not accept the belt and the title if I had not believed myself that I had won the fight."

It had nothing to do with his announcement, he insisted.

"At the time I thought it was the right time for me to do it. I had a lot of pressure.

"You know, when you do something for a long time, you have a lot of pressure. People don't realize how much pressure I have. It's a lot of expectation. You take a lot of risk. You get so nervous because you care about it.

"There is so much on the line. The bigger the risk, the bigger the reward. But I want to inform you, that sometimes makes you go a little bit on the edge, you know.

"So I needed to take time off to relax, to feel better and to have fun to do it again if I ever wanted to come back," said the pride of Saint-Isidore, Quebec who resigned after nine consecutive title defences and 21 UFC fights.

When your agent suggested that it didn't sound like he was retiring, St. Pierre's response may have told the tale.

"No," he said. "I'm in perfect shape.

"It's only mentally. I lost fun doing it a little bit and I wanted to get it fun. First I started doing martial arts because I loved it. It's my passion. But then it becomes like a job and then it becomes a lot of pressure. And then all the pressure, the critics and a lot of stuff, the politics inside the sport, too, a lot of things happened that a lot of people are not aware of.

"I tried to make things change. And it didn't change the way I wanted it to."

When I asked him if he could force some of those changes by coming back the man who earned the reputation of being the most complete fighter in the sport at the same time as being the most dominant ever, said "I don't know.

"I needed to take a step out of it and now let's see what's going to happen."

St. Pierre said he isn't ready for a life of making appearances.

"I like to do this stuff once in a while. I like to meet my fans. But I'm not going to do this for the rest of my life. I'm an athlete."

Wasn't a bad decision against Hendricks, no shame in him retaining his world middleweight title.

Retire young and on top. Leaving on your own terms rarely happens. See the world and do amazing things while you can. He's in such rarified air to be young, healthy and wealthy. I hope he moves on without regret.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Few interesting things here:

[1] "It was a very tough fight. In terms of scoring, it was probably the toughest fight I had. In terms of damage it was not the toughest fight."
    - I wonder who he considers his toughest fight in terms of damage. The first BJ Penn fight? I know he also has said the Shields fight was one of his toughest, so it could be that.

[2] "And then all the pressure, the critics and a lot of stuff, the politics inside the sport, too, a lot of things happened that a lot of people are not aware of. I tried to make things change. And it didn't change the way I wanted it to."
    - This has to refer to the whole VADA ordeal and Dana's reaction to it. I think Dana's reaction to GSP post-fight probably added even more to the whole situation.

I think the dirty underbelly of MMA turned him off.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information