Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gsp: Less strenuous drug testing influenced break from ufc

Default Gsp: Less strenuous drug testing influenced break from ufc

MONTREAL -- Mixed martial arts star Georges St-Pierre says the Ultimate Fighting Championship's hesitant position when it came to stiffer drug testing greatly influenced his decision to take a break from the octagon.

St-Pierre said Tuesday a lack of strenuous drug testing was one of the factors that led to his decision to step away from the sport.

"It bothered me greatly, it was one of the reasons I decided to step aside," St-Pierre said Tuesday.

He vacated his welterweight title and took a hiatus from the sport in December, citing a need to lead a normal life and deal with mental fatigue.

The 32-year-old confirmed when asked by a reporter that his employer, the UFC, did not support him when he proposed drug testing in the weeks preceding his Nov. 16 fight against Johnny Hendricks.

St-Pierre stepped away following UFC 167 where he won a controversial split decision over Hendricks. After that fight, he said he needed time away to sort out some personal issues.

The star fighter was prudent in his comments Tuesday, being careful not to point fingers at any one person or fighter. He stressed he wasn't accusing anyone of steroid abuse.

St-Pierre said he wanted to bring the sport he loves to "another level" of testing and help those who are honest in the sport.

"I tried to change things, and unfortunately, maybe for money reasons, maybe for image, they were not ready to do that," St-Pierre said. "I tried to (bring about) change in a very diplomatic way and it didn't work so it's unfortunate, but I believe it will happen sooner or later."

The former welterweight champion said he hasn't made a decision to retire and added he's in top physical condition and still trains regularly.

While he has remained vague about a comeback, St-Pierre says the break has made him a better fighter because he's not feeling any external pressure. He repeated he hasn't set any timetable to make a decision regarding his UFC future.

St-Pierre said implementing drug testing is not a condition for any potential return to the sport. He added he could understand the reticence from the organization -- a failed drug test could dramatically change a card and result in people losing money.

St-Pierre was in Montreal handing out bursaries for athletic excellence.

"I feel very good, I feel very happy," St-Pierre said, appreciating a holiday season with his family and being able to have a few drinks
    don't know if I posted this right but here is the link http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=441205

Yup Dana tossed him under the bus before and after the fight I'd give them a big FU too.

soo there is a rumor going around on reddit about GSP and the drug testing of hendricks heres how it goes

Reddit user 1: Didn't some guy bring this up recently talking about that this is what his friend who trains with GSP said the reason was?
    And people didn't believe him?
    [–]mmathrowaway13 65 points 4 hours ago
    Yes that was me.

And ill tell you another rumor I heard coming out of tristar and i just heard this earlier today. I wasent going to say anything cause nobody believed me last time but screw it. GsP has real hard evidence that Hendricks was on PEDs. That is just a rumor and it is secondhamd info so once again take this as you will but here it goes.

The guys are saying that prior to fighting hendricks gsp's team hired a private investigator to follow him around for weeks prior to the fight. Apparently he didnt get any actual footage of johny doing anything wrong BUT the guy went through the garbage cans at johnys gym/house whatever and collected needles. And apparently the needles tested positive for a two types of steroids water based and oil based.
    Nott bulletproof. But its damning.

Apparently he cant say this or release it or he would be in breach of his contract. The guys say if gsp lost he was going to release it anyway and be done with the ufc. Now apparently hes planning on using it as leverage In an Internal dispute.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments...of_the/cepotn9

CLEARLY this isnt anything reliable at all, but WHAT IF this ended up being true....

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

GSPs Private Investigator:

Georges St-Pierre on UFC's lack of drug testing support: 'It bothered me enormously'
    "It bothered me enormously," St-Pierre said in French to a group of reporters in Montreal.

"That's one of the reasons why I stopped fighting. Not really to teach them a lesson, because that would also punish me. I wanted to do something for the sport. I love the sport. I see the direction it's going, and I don't think it makes any sense. This is stupid."

In a scrum video posted on RDS.ca, St-Pierre is seen answering questions about his decision to indefinitely leave the sport. However, when a reporter begins to ask about the drug testing issues he faced leading up to UFC 167, St-Pierre cracked a big smile, somewhat in relief, and said, "Oh, here's someone who reads between the lines. That's good." It appeared as though St-Pierre was just itching for someone to ask him about this subject, and once someone did, the flood gates opened for the usually guarded St-Pierre.

"I tried to do something to change the sport," he said. "Unfortunately, there were other people, for different reasons, maybe for money, in fear of losing money, because if you canceled the fight because someone tested positive there are millions of dollars [lost]. Also, the sport's image ... If you start testing everyone, how many will get caught? I don't want to say in public because I don't want to accuse anyone, but the sport's image will be hurt.

"Don't forget, I have internal information. I'm an athlete. I know what goes on, so that disappointed me greatly."

In September, UFC president Dana White said he thought both St-Pierre and Hendricks "looked stupid" for their public dispute over how they would be tested prior to their title fight. This came after St-Pierre offered to personally pay for Hendricks to be tested by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA). Hendricks initially accepted the offer but then backed out, citing concerns with VADA's impartiality.

"I think it makes them both look stupid. These guys are going to get tested by the athletic commission," White said on a FOXSports Google Hangout.

"This is something that Georges St-Pierre wants to prove to everybody, because for years people have been saying (he's on PEDs). When he fought B.J. (Penn), B.J. talked smack about him. Other people have talked stuff. The kid, not only is he another guy that's been with us since day one, he's never tested positive for anything even remotely close to anything bad. He's never tested positive for anything. He's always been a straight shooter and always professional, yet people keep talking smack about him. I just think it's crazy for him to even do this."

In the end, after a public back-and-forth, only St-Pierre was randomly tested by VADA, and a month before UFC 167, St-Pierre told La Presse he was "very disappointed" by the UFC's lack of support in this matter. He hinted at these feelings on the conference call to announce his departure last month, but wasn't as clear about his feelings as he was on Tuesday. When White was asked on the conference call if he thought this issue led to St-Pierre's decision, he simply said, "no."

On Tuesday, St-Pierre stopped short at naming names. He didn't point a finger at White, Hendricks or anyone else, but he made it very clear that this was a major reason why he has no plans to fight any time soon.

"The only thing I want to say is, I wanted to do something to help those who are honest in the sport. Believe me or not, I never took drugs in my life. I'll take a lie detector test, I don't care. I'm for anti-doping tests. I think it's a big problem in the sport.

"This is a relatively new sport. There's one organization that has a monopoly, so the fighters don't have much power. They can't really talk because if one says what he thinks, he will get punished.

"If we want the sport to be accepted worldwide, like baseball, hockey, football, soccer, I believe [drug testing] is the thing to do. I think it's just a matter of time before it happens, it's just that I tried to make it happen now. Maybe they didn't like the idea because if I did it now, it would lead to others doing it and maybe that's not something they wanted to happen.

"It disappointed me. You know that there are things I can't say. I'm holding back. I'm a public person."

St-Pierre, who said he is still actively training and is in "excellent shape," announced on Tuesday that his GSP Foundation would give six athletes $15,000 a year for three years to train in six disciplines (karate, taekwondo, boxing, wrestling, fencing and judo). According to GSP's manager Rodolphe Beaulieu, the purpose is "to encourage school and athletic performance."

The 32-year-old St-Pierre said his family was very supportive of his decision to leave the sport last month, but once again, he left the door open for a return in the future. If certain things change, of course.

"No wants to talk about [drugs in MMA], but I think we need to talk about it. It's a problem.

"I wanted to remain diplomatic, but unfortunately there were people who weren't ready to change things. I'm certain it's a question of time. And maybe if things change one day, I'll return."
    VIDEO: GSP hints at possible return and first look at new documentary

“Because I’m an obsessive guy, I give myself a challenge, which automatically will mean me working on it to obtain it,” St-Pierre told the Ottawa Sun. “So right now, I take a break. I don’t give myself any preference, you know? There is a chance I will come back.”

Right now though, St-Pierre is feeling relaxed about his decision to walk away, saying that he is enjoying his time away from the spotlight.

“I needed to take some time off to relax, to feel better and to have fun to do it again if I ever wanted to come back,” he added. “When you do something for a long time, you have a lot of pressure. People don’t realize how much pressure I have. It’s a lot of expectations.”

Having some time off has allowed GSP to spend some time with his family during the festive period, something he has never been fully able to do. To say he's enjoying this time in his life is an understatement, as the former champion seems fully relaxed.

“I spent Christmas time and New Year’s with my family,” St-Pierre said. “That’s something I haven’t done for a long time. This is the first time I’ve really had nothing on my schedule. It was perfect and fun. It’s the first time I felt so good.

“I’m 32 years old and this is the first time I have Christmas with my family. I spent some time, but I never really had free time, total free time like I did. It was time for me to do it. I’m very happy I did it and I don’t regret any of it.”

Despite no appearances scheduled inside the octagon for the foreseeable future, St-Pierre is set to have a busy 2014 as he some some projects in the pipeline, one of them being the documentary, Takedown: The DNA of GSP. To see the first trailer from the feature, check out the video below.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 01-14-2014 at 11:39 PM.

if you guys wanna get really mad at the ignorance of dumb fans go read the comments section of ESPN's article of this story.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Default Georges St-Pierre: UFC Can Do More

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    if you guys wanna get really mad at the ignorance of dumb fans go read the comments section of ESPN's article of this story.
    I was just about to mention that GSP made ESPN's front page with this. Props to him for stepping up and saying what a lot of fighters are probably afraid to say.

Lorenzo uses the argument that the NSAC is more than capable of handling drug testing. I don't think that NSAC is the worst athletic commission out there, but I can't wait to revisit his comments after Vitor's application for a TUE plays out. Especially considering that Kizer's not in charge anymore.

Georges St-Pierre: UFC Can Do More

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre told reporters in Montreal on Tuesday that the promotion's stance on drug testing contributed to his decision to vacate the title and step away from the sport last month.

Speaking in French, St-Pierre questioned what he perceived to be a lack of support from the UFC in his recent effort to involve the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association in the drug testing of a title fight against Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in Las Vegas in November.

"It bothered me greatly," St-Pierre said, according to the Canadian Press. "It was one of the reasons I decided to step aside.

"I tried to change things and unfortunately -- maybe for money reasons, maybe for image -- they were not ready to do that. I tried in a very diplomatic way and it didn't work, so it's unfortunate, but I believe it will happen sooner or later."

Prior to the Hendricks fight on Nov. 16, the 32-year-old St-Pierre confirmed his participation in a voluntary program under VADA and invited his opponent to do the same. Hendricks eventually balked at the idea, when his management team learned VADA intended to foot the bill, as opposed to it coming out of St-Pierre's pocket. Hendricks didn't trust the relationship between St-Pierre and VADA, but still underwent drug testing performed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Both fighters passed all the tests they were given, and neither ever has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

St-Pierre announced his hiatus one month later, citing a growing level of stress as the primary reason.

UFC CEO and co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he was "shocked" by St-Pierre's comments. He said the topic of drug testing did not surface when the Canadian star informed the promotion he was vacating the title in December.

"We've made it clear, through presentations at various athletic commissions, that we advocate for the most rigorous drug testing possible," Fertitta said. "We've actually advocated for harsher penalties for PEDs.

"Maybe Georges didn't understand the level of drug testing Nevada was doing. They are the ultimate authority that handles drug testing, medicals and everything else -- and they are very capable."

Fertitta said the UFC never has turned down a request from an athletic commission to pay for additional drug testing. That situation occurred last month at UFC 168 in Las Vegas, involving a heavyweight fight between Travis Browne and Josh Barnett. As a requirement to license Barnett, who previously has tested positive for steroids, the NSAC implemented an enhanced, out-of-competition program, which the UFC paid for, according to NSAC executive director Keith Kizer.

Fertitta pointed out that when the promotion is forced to self-regulate, in countries where an athletic commission is absent, it tests every fighter on the card. All UFC athletes are "rigorously" tested before signing their initial contract, as well.

During his comments in Montreal, St-Pierre reportedly referred to the UFC as a "monopoly," and said that might prevent other fighters from speaking publicly about the PED problem in MMA. Fertitta acknowledged an existence of PED use within the UFC, but said the promotion is doing what it can to eliminate it.

"Obviously, we know there are some athletes that do cheat, but we are catching them," Fertitta said. "Hopefully, because the penalties for being caught have gone to the extent they have -- monetary, suspensions, revocations of licenses -- it's convincing these guys it's not worth it."

St-Pierre (25-2) is one of the most dominant champions in UFC history. He first won the 170-pound title in November 2006 against Matt Hughes. He has still not ruled out an eventual return to the Octagon.

I think anywhere from 75% - 90% of these guys are taking something. All of gsps curiosity about HGH testing also looked suspect as fuck. So at the end of the day its whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    Lorenzo uses the argument that the NSAC is more than capable of handling drug testing. I don't think that NSAC is the worst athletic commission out there, but I can't wait to revisit his comments after Vitor's application for a TUE plays out. Especially considering that Kizer's not in charge anymore.
    What about Vitor's application will tell you anything more than you already know.

I've said this before, but:
    anyone who assumes anything about Vitor's use/abuse is speculating, at best
    Kizer and the NSAC already proved your worst concerns valid by granting a TUE to sonnen, who admitted to using TRT at abusive levels at the CSAC hearing, where he also lied about Kizer's involvement.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

White to GSP: Be a man
    Tonight on the UFC on FOX Sports Live, UFC President Dana White spoke to the team about recent statements former Champion Georges St-Pierre made in the media.

Coming up on @FOXSportsLive - @danawhite says he wants GSP to “be a man”. Tune in NOW for more on GSP and #UFCFightNight
    White responding to GSP’s comments on if the UFC is a monopoly: “Viacom is our competitor and has a 40-billion dollar market cap. That’s our competitor. We’ll never be that big. There are a lot of other fight companies out there. Are we the best? Yes. But it’s far from a monopoly.”
    “I’m shocked. When Georges St-Pierre said he wanted to do the extra drug testing, he wanted to do it to prove he’s not on drugs. I’ve heard he’s mad at me that I said I thought Johny Hendricks won the fight. Be a man and talk to me face-to-face. If GSP wants to talk to us like a man he can pick up the phone and call us. This came out of left field. The whole thing is shocking.”

Thread Information