Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gsp: Less strenuous drug testing influenced break from ufc

White: I have no idea why GSP keeps complaining
    White responded to the remarks during an appearance on FOX Sports Live Wednesday night.

"The crazy stuff I keep hearing back from Georges St-Pierre is unbelievable," said White as transcribed by MMAFighting. "No, Georges St-Pierre never complained to us about headaches. Georges St-Pierre has never publicly said the real reasons why he stepped away from the UFC for a year. When he sat down with Lorenzo and I it was a whole different set of issues, personal problems. It had nothing to do with headaches or drug testing or anything else that's been said

"Not only did he tell us it was personal issues, he told us what the personal issues were. I have no idea [why he keeps complaining]. I don't know if he's just trying to draw a smokescreen to what he's really dealing with and doesn't want to publicly talk about? I don't know."

"When Georges St-Pierre fought I called it like I saw it. I didn't think he won the fight. I thought Johny Hendricks won the fight. That's my opinion as the president of the company and as a fight fan. What Georges St-Pierre told us in private I would never repeat. He can get as kooky as he wants to get and say whatever he wants to say, but I would never repeat what he told us."

I give Dana less than 3 months before he repeats what Georges told him and Lorenzo lol

Quote Originally Posted by scallas View Post
    I give Dana less than 3 months before he repeats what Georges told him and Lorenzo lol
    yeah exactly, the fact that he went out of his way to say he was never going to say it proved to me that he eventually will.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

3 months is being generous, unless he's holding on to hoping that GSP will be back.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Dana wouldn't repeat the words because that would leave him open to a lawsuit.

GSP has always been consistent in interview after interview for a stretch of several years regarding a superfight vs Silva. In his responses, he would always say 1) he can't look past his current opponent, but more importantly 2) he would need to take off a solid year to gain the muscle necessary to compete at 185lbs. He has said this over and over and over again. He has also said that his goal is to be the best mixed martial artist ever, and if he beat Silva, he would retire, as there would be no challenges left, and he would have achieved his goal. You can hear this in numerous interviews on youtube.

It had often been said over the past few years that GSP cleared out the welterweight division, but after beating Hendricks, he truly had - there is nobody left. Did GSP leave for personal issues, stress, headaches, and/or the drug testing fiasco? Those things probably all played a role in his timing. But the underlying reason, in my opinion, is that he recognized he had no challengers left at 170 and wanted to take some time away to gain weight to pursue his final fight. One of the things that stood out to me in an interview with Faras shortly after GSP announced he was taking time away was that he mentioned GSP is gaining weight, gaining muscle. Why would he say that?

The injury to Silva in the Weidman rematch may well have thrown a wrench into GSP's plans, and that's why I think he is now coming out with a bunch of other reasons why he left. But deep down, based on his previous consistency, I still believe he did it to finally pursue the superfight. No telling what the future will hold for him now - either a hyped up Hendricks rematch, or perhaps he may still pursue the 185lb division.

He wont fight Weidman, And he vacated title so he and anderson could have one last big money fight then they both retire.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    He wont fight Weidman, And he vacated title so he and anderson could have one last big money fight then they both retire.
    he vacated the title before weidman beat silva though no?
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Was speaking hypotheticly and didn't mean to make it sound that way.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Dana wouldn't repeat the words because that would leave him open to a lawsuit.
    I know everybody is supposed to think Dana is smart since he is successful, but in reality, he is pretty dumb. He'll spout off eventually. I genuinely don't think he can control it.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Thread Information