Thread: UFC Fight Night 35 Weigh Ins, Pre & Post Fight Extras

Default UFC Fight Night 35 Weigh Ins, Pre & Post Fight Extras

UFC Fight Night 35 official weigh-in results: Rockhold, Philippou hit mark
    http://mmajhttp://mmajunkie.com/2014...gh-in-results/
    The full UFC Fight Night 35 weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 7 p.m. ET)
    •Luke Rockhold (185) vs. Constantinos Philippou (185)
    •Lorenz Larkin (185) vs. Brad Tavares (185)
    •T.J. Dillashaw (135) vs. Mike Easton (135)
    •Derek Brunson (185) vs. Yoel Romero (185)
    •John Moraga (126) vs. Dustin Ortiz (124)
    •Cole Miller (145) vs. Sam Sicilia (145)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 5 p.m. ET)
    •Justin Edwards (155) vs. Ramsey Nijem (155)
    •Elias Silverio (155) vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg (155)
    •Brian Houston (185) vs. Trevor Smith (186)
    •Alptekin Ozkilic (125) vs. Louis Smolka (125)

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 4 p.m. ET)
    •Vinc Pichel (155) vs. Garett Whiteley (156)
    •Charlie Brenneman (155) vs. Beneil Dariush (156)

10 reasons to watch UFC Fight Night 35
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/01/10-reas...ight-night-35/
    1. Middleweight title makeover

After closing out Strikeforce with two title defenses under his belt, Luke Rockhold (10-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) was in spitting distance of a UFC title shot when he migrated from the defunct promotion. Then Belfort concussed him with a spinning heel-kick at UFC on FX 8, and he was pushed further back in line. A win over Constantinos Philippou (12-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) isn’t a title eliminator, but if he’s able to rebound in impressive fashion, 2014 could re-solidify him as a contender.

2. Matchups make the man

Philippou’s heavy hands made him stand out early in his career, but wrestling was always a concern. After rattling off five straight victories, his deficiencies were again exposed when Francis Carmont smothered him at UFC 165. A matchup with Rockhold might not get him anywhere close to a title, but it offers a greater chance of bringing him the type of fight he likes: slugfests. That, as much as anything else, might be the best career rehab.

3. Suddenly significant co-headliner

Middleweight Brad Tavares (11-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) has made it known he’s called for matchups with marquee names, only to get shot down by his relative obscurity. And while he’s put together an impressive four-fight winning streak, the names on his resume reflect his struggle to break out from the pack. Well, according to UFC President Dana White, his co-headliner against Lorenz Larkin (14-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is the ticket to big things in the division. It’s a curious situation, but hey, it’s a storyline for a small card.

4. Bantamweight reboot

Bantamweights T.J. Dillashaw (8-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) and Mike Easton (13-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) face resistance from Bellator and ONE FC standouts in the 135-pound rankings, and among the UFC’s ranks, from one Brazilian named Raphael Assuncao. They’ve both stumbled in recent outings but retain their top-15 status. The question now is who can climb back up the ladder. Dillashaw, who’s one part of the small-statured dynamo Team Alpha Male, is a 2-1 favorite to do so.

5. Forging middleweight contenders

Olympic silver medalist wrestler Yoel Romero (6-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) shows incredible potential as a striker, having knocked out his first two opponents in the UFC (Clifford Starks and Ronny Markes). At times, though, the middleweight seems a little too pleased with his work in the cage, and higher in the division, that will cost him. Derek Brunson (11-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) isn’t a top-10 guy yet, but he is a foe who will bring the fight to Romero. An out-of-the-gate knockout against Brian Houston gave Brunson a boost after a lackluster decision win over Chris Leben, and now it’s his chance to put a big feather in his cap.

6. Flyweight title contender returns

John Moraga (13-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) has the unfortunate honor of kicking off flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson’s current run of stoppages. Johnson locked in an armbar when they met this past July at UFC on FOX 8, and Moraga sat out the rest of 2013 with an injury. He returns Wednesday to rebuild momentum in a bout against Dustin Ortiz (12-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who earned a first-round TKO win over Jose Maria Tome in his debut at UFC Fight Night 32. Moraga could be back in contention by the end of the year if he plays his cards right.

7. Fight or KO of the night

Fans are likely to see a stoppage when featherweights Cole Miller (20-8 MMA, 9-6 UFC) and Sam Sicilia (12-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC) meet. Miller is disgruntled over his place in the 145-pound class and wants to prove he’s worthy of the attention heaped on the injured Conor McGregor. Sicilia is tired of fighting Brazilians in their home country and thinks Miller is the key to marquee opponents. It adds up to favorable circumstances for an exciting clash, with Miller potentially locking in a submission if Sicilia doesn’t KO him first.

8. ‘TUF’ times for lightweight loser

“The Ultimate Fighter 13” veterans Ramsey Nijem (7-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC) and Justin Edwards (8-3 MMA, 2-3 UFC) have hit the skids in their recent UFC careers, and the loser of this fight could be facing a pink slip. Nijem, a finalist on the reality show, is on the rails after being submitted in short order by James Vick and getting brutally knocked out by Myles Jury. Edwards offered Brandon Thatch batting practice in his most recent appearance and hasn’t won more than two in a row since the show.

9. Undefeated flyweight prospect debuts

This past month, the UFC signed undefeated 125-pound fighter Louis Smolka (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who makes his octagon debut as one of the tallest guys in the division at 5-9. A stablemate of the recently victorious newcomer Russell Doane, who, like him, hails from Hawaii’s 808 Top Team, Smolka has finished all six of his pro opponents with four KO/TKOs. He meets Alptekin Ozkilic (9-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who makes a very short turnaround after a successful debut against Darren Uyenoyama at UFC on FOX 9.

10. The return of “The Spaniard”

Charlie Brenneman (19-5 MMA, 4-4 UFC) always looked undersized for the UFC welterweight division, and despite that, he put together a 4-4 record with his only losses coming against top-shelf opposition. After dropping to the lightweight division and racking up a four-fight winning streak in regional competition, he gets another shot at the big show against standout submission grappler Beneil Dariush (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who makes his octagon debut.
    UFC’s Luke Rockhold on redemption, TRT and ghosts of knockouts past
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/01/luke-ro...nockouts-past/
    “My coaches, everyone just said, ‘Really? Vitor threw a spinning heel kick and caught you?’” Rockhold told MMAjunkie. “What else is there to say? You know, I got caught by a crazy, spectacular, once-in-a-lifetime kind of kick. I don’t see it happening again. I think that’s how we all kind of judged it.”

For the former Strikeforce middleweight champion, that’s just one of the elements to the loss that he’s spent the past eight months grappling with. There’s also the fact that it happened in his UFC debut, after he’d gone nearly six years undefeated. There’s the fact that this crazy head-kick knockout is bound to end up in highlight reels for the rest of time, so there’s that to look forward to.

Then, of course, there is the testosterone-replacement therapy (TRT) thing. That part, Rockhold, admitted, just plain “sucks.”

“I’ll never be a fan of TRT,” Rockhold said. “It is what it is. It’s so prevalent in the sport that I guess we’re just going to have to deal with it. It sucks. … Especially guys that used steroids and now are on TRT, they lowered their testosterone, and they’re just trying to make up for it now. They want to find a way to get through the system and cheat. If there’s actual people who have real problems, sure, give them their exemption. But everyone’s pretty much cheating and trying to find a way to get away with it. It’s stupid.”

But herein lies the problem. Say you’re in Rockhold’s shoes. Say you share his view on synthetic testosterone users, as many do, especially in the case of Belfort, considering his past with illegal steroid use and his resurgence while using the controversial substance for fights in his home country of Brazil. Psychologically, how are you supposed to catalog this loss? Does it count? Is it a legitimate defeat that you can learn something from? Or do you put a great big asterisk next to it, telling yourself you got beat by a substance instead of a man, then move on?

Rockhold’s answer to that question, especially considering his take on TRT in general, was the part that surprised me.

“I don’t place an asterisk next to it,” he said. “I lost. If someone’s going to put an asterisk next to it, that’s for someone in your shoes, someone on that side of the sport. For me as a fighter, it’s a loss.”

Maybe that’s the only way he can look at it without driving himself crazy. Or maybe it’s just something he has to say so people won’t accuse him of making excuses.

Or, a third possibility: Maybe it doesn’t matter what he tells himself since either way he ends up in the same must-win position for his fight against Constantinos Philippou at UFC Fight Night 35 on Wednesday.

That’s the problem with ending up on the wrong end of a highlight in your UFC debut. You could give yourself any number of outs – octagon jitters, the TRT stuff, whatever – and that’s fine. But your second fight is the one people will use to determine if it was just a hiccup or a sign that you were never the fighter you were made out to be. That’s the one you’ve really got to win, lest a temporary setback turn into a trend.

The good news is Rockhold has a lot of things on his side in this matchup. He’s likely the more well-rounded fighter of the two, and probably has the edge in speed as well. A lot gets made of Philippou’s boxing, but as Rockhold was quick to point out, that’s only one aspect of the fight. Oddsmakers seem to agree, favoring him by a nearly 4-1 margin.

With this bout, Rockhold said, his aim is to “block out the pressure,” to forget about what happened and what’s to come and focus solely on what’s in front of him. It’s easier said than done, especially after a difficult year in which he followed a knockout loss with an injury layoff, forcing him to put some financial goals, like buying a house, on hold.

It also forced him out of the gym – “That’s the toughest part,” Rockhold said – and gave him plenty of time to think, not all of which was entirely welcome. At least one good thing came out of it, though. He had a chance to come up with a goal for the future, something to motivate him in his return. Yeah, you can probably guess.

“I want to get back in there and redeem myself [against Belfort], return the favor,” Rockhold said. “It’s definitely a fight I want in the near future. I don’t believe a spinning heel kick tells the tale of our two skill sets. I’d like to do that over.”

Sicilia: I believe I should be fighting better guys
    Sam Sicilia made a statement his last time in the Octagon. That statement is one he says came at the expense of Godofredo “Pepey” Castro, who he explains couldn’t beat Sicilia if given 100 opportunities.

Sicilia says he’s on a different level.

“That’s a guy I can beat 100 times out of 100 times,” Sicilia told MMAWeekly.com. “I believe I should be fighting better guys and I kind of had to make it look like that. Beating him in a decision, or even if he had moments where it looked like he was getting the better of me, wouldn’t look good. I just wanted to show that I’m on a different level and shut him off and get out of the cage.”
    Easton remains loyal to Llyod Irvin
    Mike Easton has been a student of Llyod Irvin since he started MMA, and despite his mentor's legal troubles, stands behind the man he believes did nothing wrong:

"A lot of people make mistakes. Before people point fingers, they should look at themselves. What have they done? What’s in their past? Everything that was said on the Internet, those people try to judge something that happened years ago...Haters are gonna hate, and congratulators are gonna congratulate."

At the same time, Easton is effusive in defending Irvin the person, highlighting Irvin’s good deeds and taking critics and ex-students to task for pushing personal agendas and lacking—you guessed it—loyalty.

“I love master Lloyd Irvin,” Easton said. “Master Irvin delivered turkeys on Thanksgiving. If there’s a kid who trains at his gym but can’t come up with the money, he’ll let them train for free. If you met him, I guarantee you’ll fall in love with him. People who leave the team, you see where their heart is.”
    Philippou: Fighting is not my life
    Based out of Long Island, N.Y., Philippou says he won’t lose a minute of sleep if he someday ends his career having never fought for a world title. He understands it’s a weird stance to have as a martial artist, but that’s just the way it is.

"I don't care about the fame or being called a champion. It's just a means to an end right now. Get a little money to move on to the next step of my life. Fighting is not my life. It's something I'm good at and it's what I do right now.

“I don’t care about the fame or being called a champion. It’s just a means to an end right now. Get a little money to move on to the next step of my life. Fighting is not my life. It’s something I’m good at and it’s what I do right now.”

That doesn’t mean, Philippou says, he lacks motivation to improve. Since his last fight, a unanimous decision loss to Francis Carmont at UFC 165, Philippou has worked especially hard on defensive grappling.
    For Luke Rockhold, desired Vitor Belfort rematch hinges on UFC Fight Night 35 win
    “The Vitor loss was tough – it’s a tough one to suck up,” Rockhold told USA TODAY Sports. “I’ve somewhat moved on, and I’m focused on what’s ahead of me, but it’s definitely still something (I think about). … I think I can definitely rewrite that story a little better, and I’d like a rematch somewhere down the line. Obviously I’m tired of people talking about that kick.”

But the Californian, who trains at the renowned American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, knows any chance he has to work on the rewrite has to start against Philippou, who recently was on the verge of title contention, as well.

Philippou had a five-fight winning streak snapped with a loss to Francis Carmont in September, and the Frenchman may have drawn up the blueprint for how to fight the Cyprus-born New Yorker.

“Costa’s a good, solid boxer who knows how to gauge the distance and keep the fight where he wants it for the most part,” Rockhold said. “Carmont definitely exposed a weakness in his game. … He’s got to get through my arsenal of strikes, and the thing is, if he gets too close, he might just trip and fall into a guillotine or a ground-and-pound situation.”

And that might be the best way for Rockhold to start to put the Belfort loss behind him – just to get moving forward again toward a rematch.

It’s that loss and eye on the future he’s using as motivation tonight, and that, he believes, is a bad thing for Philippou.

“This is not a good time to fight me,” he said. “It’s the wrong place and wrong time to be fighting me. Now it’s time for me to do my thing here. I didn’t come here to be second best or to just be a journeyman. I came here to be the best – the best of the best.”

UFC Fight Night 35’s Luke Rockhold not ruling out future move to light heavyweight
    “At 210 (pounds), I feel strong; I feel faster than most light heavyweights I spar with,” he said. “There’s definitely a possibility in the near future that I could be moving up and getting some fights there.”

For now, he’s got his eyes fixed on his next bout, which comes at middleweight against Constantinos Philippou(12-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) in a headliner at Wednesday’s UFC Fight Night 35. The Arena at Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Ga., hosts the event, which airs live on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Rockhold said leading into the bout, his weight is where it was in 2011 when he faced Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza.

“I think that’s a big issue,” he told MMAjunkie. “You’ve got to be consistent. People have off-days, so you want to be as consistent as possible and make that one night … one of those good nights.”

His performance against Souza obviously was one of those good nights, as he outpointed the tough Brazilian to capture the middleweight title in the now-defunct promotion. His most recent performance, however, was quite the opposite.

A head-kick from Vitor Belfort ended Rockhold’s first push toward the UFC middleweight belt, and now he’s resetting for another climb when he meets Philippou, who was outpointed by Francis Camont in his previous performance.

On the scale at 185, Rockhold repeatedly has shown up looking absolutely miserable, and on at least one occasion, he’s needed more time to cut weight.

This time around, he doesn’t anticipate the same situation. But if the circumstances line up the right way, he won’t need to worry much about the number he hits.

“It wouldn’t be a permanent move at this point, no doubt,” he said of a bout at 205 pounds. “It would be an experiment, to get some interesting fights. But obviously, I have plenty ahead of me in the middle of the middleweight division.

“If there’s a lapse in time or I get the right opponent, I’ll move up.”
    UFC president: This is the moment ‘that can change everything’ for Brad Tavares
    “For a guy like Brad Tavares, he’s finally made it to the co-main-event position, and these are those moments that can change everything for a guy,” UFC President Dana White tells USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie. “If he goes in and wins, and wins impressively over Lorenz Larkin, it’s … huge for his career.”

Tavares entered the UFC as a relative neophyte to the sport, earning his spot on “TUF 11” just five fights into his professional career. Eventual show winner Court McGee eliminated the Hawaiian in the semifinal round of the reality series’ 32-man tournament, but Tavares was still offered a UFC contract and has made the most of his opportunity, earning six wins in his seven UFC appearances to date.

But Wednesday’s event marks Tavares’ opportunity to step out of the shadows since his previous UFC appearances were largely relegated to UFC preliminary cards.

“I’ve been doing this for seven years now, and I still feel like I’m growing,” Tavares says. “Every camp, I’m still learning more. I still love the sport, and I still feel like there’s so much more for me to know, but I definitely feel I can compete with anybody in my division.”

It’s an interesting time in the UFC’s middleweight division. With Silva losing twice to now-champion Weidman, not to mention nursing a badly broken leg, his future remains uncertain. Vitor Belfort is up next for the belt, but the rest of the division is wide open, and now seems to be as good of a time as any to make a run toward the top of the class.

“You’ve got Chris Weidman, who beat the champ twice,” White says. “You’ve got Vitor Belfort coming next. You’ve got Lyoto Machida lined up in there too, and (Ronaldo) ‘Jacare’ Souza. Anderson wants to come back. It’s fun. It’s an exciting time in the middleweight division.”

If nothing else, the Tavares vs. Larkin matchup appears likely to prove a crowd-pleasing scrap. Both are strike-first fighters who are willing to trade in the pocket while hunting for a knockout. If there’s been a criticism of Tavares’ game, it’s his defensive wrestling, though the 26-year-old doesn’t believe that will prove an issue in this particular matchup.

“I like Larkin’s style since he tries to mix it up,” Tavares says. “He tries to get creative. There are a few things that I’ve seen him do in past fights that I don’t think will work against me. If you give him the opportunity and the space to do what he wants to do, he’s going to do it. But If I implement my game plan, then I don’t think he’ll be able to get off his offense.”

Tavares enters the fight as a slight underdog, according to oddsmakers, but as White points out, sometimes that public doubt can make a strong performance that much more memorable.

“You look at a guy like Alexander Gustafsson,” White said. “When we made that fight with Jon Jones, the fans and the media were complaining and saying that Alexander Gustafsson didn’t deserve the shot, that Jon Jones was going to walk right through him. Then look at the fight. Gustafsson became a superstar after that fight.

“One fight can change everything for you. For Brad Tavares on Wednesday night, this could be that fight for him.”
    Rockhold, Miller, Brunson, & Romero earn $50k performance bonuses
    Luke Rockhold, Cole Miller, Yoel Romero and Derek Brunson each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Wednesday’s UFC Fight Night 35 event.

Rockhold earned the “Knockout of the Night,” Miller won “Submission of the Night” and Romero and Brunson picked up “Fight of the Night” honors. UFC President Dana White announced the winners at the night’s post-event news conference, which MMAjunkie attended.
    UFC Fight Night 35 draws reported 5,822 attendance for $231,951 live gate

UFC Quick Quote: Yoel Romero claims water, not poop, was to blame for dark stain on shorts

UFC Fight Night 35 results: Cole Miller and Derek Brunson injuries include broken bones and fractured jaw

At some point throughout the first two frames, "Magrinho" suffered another broken hand (left one this time) and will possibly need surgery. When Miller is healthy, however, he will return riding a two-fight win streak. The same can not be said for the 30-year-old product of Greg Jackson's MMA.
    Dana White ✔ @danawhite
    Follow
    Just went to the hospital to see @DerekBrunsonMMA he has a fractured jaw. He is waiting to have surgery.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 01-16-2014 at 04:09 PM.

3. 01-15-2014, 10:57 PM

4. 01-15-2014, 10:58 PM

5. 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM

UFC Fight Night 35 salaries: Rockhold ($80K), Miller ($56K) earn top disclosed paydays
    The total disclosed payroll for the event was $530,000.

The full UFC on FOX 35 payouts included:

Luke Rockhold: $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus)
    def. Constantinos Philippou: $23,000

Brad Tavares: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus)
    def. Lorenz Larkin: $26,000

T.J. Dillashaw: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus)
    def. Mike Easton: $14,000

Yoel Romero: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus)
    def. Derek Brunson: $19,000

John Moraga: $34,000 (includes $17,000 win bonus)
    def. Dustin Ortiz: $10,000

Cole Miller: $56,000 (includes $28,000 win bonus)
    def. Sam Sicilia: $10,000

Ramsey Nijem: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus)
    def. Justin Edwards: $10,000

Elias Silverio: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
    def. Isaac Vallie-Flagg: $12,000

Trevor Smith: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
    def. Brian Houston: $8,000

Louis Smolka: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
    def. Alptekin Ozkilic: $10,000

Vinc Pichel: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
    def. Garett Whiteley: $8,000

Beneil Dariush: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
    def. Charlie Brenneman: $10,000

UFC Fight Night 35 medical suspensions: Derek Brunson draws indefinite term
    The full list of medical suspensions included:
    •Luke Rockhold: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Constantinos Philippou: suspended 30 days
    •Brad Tavares: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Lorenz Larkin: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •T.J. Dillashaw: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Mike Easton: suspended 30 days for laceration over left eye
    •Yoel Romero: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Derek Brunson: suspended indefinitely for broken jaw, needs doctor’s clearance before returning
    •John Moraga: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Dustin Ortiz: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Cole Miller: suspended 45 days for broken hand
    •Sam Sicilia: suspended 30 days for swollen left eye
    •Ramsey Nijem: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Justin Edwards: suspended 30 days for laceration over left eye
    •Elias Silverio: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Isaac Vallie-Flagg: suspended 30 days for laceration over left eye
    •Trevor Smith: suspended 30 days for laceration to forehead
    •Brian Houston: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Louis Smolka: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Alptekin Ozkilic: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Vinc Pichel: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Garett Whiteley: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Beneil Dariush: mandatory seven-day suspension
    •Charlie Brenneman: mandatory seven-day suspension

35 post-event facts about ‘UFC Fight Night 35: Rockhold vs. Philippou’

GENERAL

Total fight time of the 12-bout card was 2:24:33.

Betting favorites went 9-3 on the card.

Rockhold, Yoel Romero, Derek Brunson and Cole Miller earned $50,000 UFC Fight Night 35 fight-night bonuses.

UFC Fight Night 35 drew an announced attendance of 5,822 for a live gate of $231,951.

Five fighters on the card earned their first UFC victory.

MAIN CARD

Rockhold’s body-kick knockout of Philippou was just the eighth finish of its kind in UFC history.

Rockhold has earned nine of his 11 career victories by knockout or submission, with all of those stoppages coming in the first round.

Philippou was knocked out for the first time in his 17-fight career.

Brad Tavares’ (12-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) five-fight UFC winning streak is third the longest active streak in the middleweight division behind Francis Carmont (six) and Chris Weidman (seven).

Tavares has earned all five of the victories in his streak by decision.

Lorenz Larkin (14-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC) has dropped decisions in both of his professional losses.

T.J. Dillashaw (9-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) owns the most UFC victories of any bantamweight fighter from his season of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show.

Dillashaw’s 117 significant strikes landed in his decision victory tied the record for the fourth most landed in a UFC or WEC bantamweight fight.

Mike Easton (13-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC) extended his career-worst losing streak to three after starting his UFC career 3-0.

Yoel Romero (7-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) has knocked out his opponent in all seven of his career victories.

Romero became the first fighter in UFC history to win back-to-back fights by third-round knockout.

Romero became just the second fighter in UFC history to earn a knockout victory stemming from elbow strikes to the body. The other: Matt Brown def. Jordan Mein at UFC on FOX 7. It was also just the third finish of its kind in UFC history; Cheick Kongo forced Paul Buentello to submit with elbows to the body at UFC on VERSUS 1.

Derek Brunson (11-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) suffered a fractured jaw in his knockout loss to Romero.

John Moraga’s (14-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) three UFC flyweight victories are tied for the second most in divisional history behind Demetrious Johnson (five).

Dustin Ortiz (12-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) has still never been finished in MMA competition, and all three of his professional losses are by decision.

Cole Miller (21-8 MMA, 10-6 UFC) earned his seventh career UFC submission victory, tying him with Joe Lauzon for the fifth most all-time behind Frank Mir, Kenny Florian and Nate Diaz (eight) and Royce Gracie (11).

Miller’s 23 serious submission attempts inside the octagon are tied with Georges St-Pierre, Hermes Franca and Nate Diaz for the fifth most in UFC history.

Miller improved to 3-3 since dropping to the UFC featherweight division.

Sam Sicilia (12-4 MMA, 2-3 UFC) fell to 1-3 in his past four UFC appearances.

PRELIMINARY CARD

Justin Edwards (8-4 MMA, 2-4) failed to register a victory in his UFC lightweight debut after a 2-3 stint in the organization as a welterweight.

Edwards is on the first two-fight losing streak of his career.

Elias Silverio (10-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) has earned victories in the UFC’s middleweight and lightweight divisions in his first two octagon appearances.

Isaac Vallie-Flagg (14-4-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) had his 12-fight undefeated streak snapped. It was his first defeat since July 2007.

Vallie-Flagg dropped a decision for the first time in his 19-fight career.

Trevor Smith (11-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC) earned the first decision victory of his 15-fight career. “Hot Sauce” had previously stopped his opponent in all of his wins.

Louis Smolka (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) earned the first decision victory of his career.

Alptekin Ozkilic (9-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) successful landed nine takedowns in his decision loss to Smolka, the most of any fighter on the card. “The Turkish Delight” became just the third fighter in UFC history to land nine or more takedowns in a fight then go on to lose a decision.

Vinc Pichel (8-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Garett Whiteley (7-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) competed in the longest bout of their MMA careers. Neither man had ever fought to a decision prior to the event.

Beneil Dariush (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) submission victory at 1:45 of Round 1 marked the fourth quickest submission win ever for a debuting UFC lightweight fighter.

Charlie Brenneman (19-6 MMA, 4-5 UFC) has been knocked out or submitted in all five of his UFC defeats, with four of those losses coming in the first round.

Thread Information