+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donald Cerrone Needs a Fight ASAP Because He's Broke

Default Donald Cerrone Needs a Fight ASAP Because He's Broke

Donald Cerrone Needs a Fight ASAP Because He's Broke

One of the things we haven't heard a whole lot about with the current generation of big name UFC fighters is problems with handling their money. Donald Cerrone is making it known that he is running through his cash as fast as he earns it.

Fighters and money problems are practically synonymous. As long as there have been people willing to pay big money to watch men beat each other up, there have been men willing to take that money and spend it as frivolously and quickly as possible. It's strange then that it's not a more common refrain from current UFC stars. Partially this is because most of them don't earn enough money to really and truly blow it on anything, partially it's a difference in culture in which many fighters have been through college or had some level of higher education along with their martial arts training, rather than coming from some of the worlds poorest slums. Whatever the reasons, it's yet to become a major talking point for the current generation of UFC fighters... at least until now.

Donald Cerrone recently gave an interview to Examiner.com in which he talked about his money woes in the finest tradition of pugilistic financial planning:

"What really happened is I spent all my money, so I'm broke, and I only have one choice but to fight," said Cerrone in an exclusive interview with Examiner.com as a guest on Majority Draw Radio.

"I text Joe [Silva] after my last fight and said, ‘I want a fight ASAP.' He said, ‘How does January 25th sound?' I said, ‘Great!'

"I'm just out of control," explained Cerrone. "It's hard to have money in the bank, want something, and not get it. I just [expletive] buy it. I have no idea what saving money is."

"I'm coming hard. I'm back. I'm ready to make that [expletive] title run. I don't know where I went. What happened was that I got real comfortable financially and kind of let off everything. I lost my fire.
    Well, at least it sounds like he knows he's his own worst enemy, but it's hard to think he has any designs on changing. Financial mismanagement is one of the most difficult things for an athlete to overcome. The expectation that there will always be another payday around the corner and that people will always be willing to shell out for your services often lead to a bankrupting shortsightedness. it's especially notable, here, since Cerrone also talked about his recent struggles to "get his hunger back," and that he was considering retiring before taking the fight against Evan Dunham at UFC 167. Cerrone may still have some tread left on the tires, but an athletic career can end at any moment and if he's not prepared for that end he could find himself facing a long road back to financial stability.

Be sure to check out the rest of the interview as he talks a lot about his loss of motivation and his preparations for Adriano Martins at UFC on Fox 10 on January 25th.
    He should probably slow down on his purchases of ATVs, speedboats, and firearms. Good luck, Cowboy.

2. 01-16-2014, 10:43 PM

Shouldn't be hard to find him a fight. He'll pretty much fight anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Khabib vs Cerrone would be insane.

Wow he fights like 5 times a year or something like that.

He should learn something about saving money because he will not be a UFC fighter his whole life.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post

He should learn something about saving money because he will not be a UFC fighter his whole life.
    First part I love last part is a stretch. Cerrone is the poster boy for what the UFC loves in its fighters. As long as he don't go on a super skid or piss off the brass I believe he will end up like a Hughes or Liddell or ehhhhhh Franklin.

Now side note... Why is Lytle not in the above mentioned boat?? That guy deserves some spot somewhere on the ZUFFA roster.

My favorite reason for having fight pass is all the fighters that Dana black listed.... I now finaly see their highlights.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

what the fuck?he fights more than anyone.

also dana didn't black list Lytle and Cerrone is a company guy but hasn't done nearly as much for the org as the other three guys.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 01-17-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post

Yeah he fights quite a bit. In the last 3 years, he's fought 11 times (12 on Jan 25). He has also picked up 7 bonuses too. Just looking at his fight 2 months ago, he made $146,000, which does not include any locker room bonuses and sponsorship money. How the fuck can you be broke!? If he keeps going this route, he will be living a penniless post-MMA life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Yeah he fights quite a bit. In the last 3 years, he's fought 11 times (12 on Jan 25). He has also picked up 7 bonuses too. Just looking at his fight 2 months ago, he made $146,000, which does not include any locker room bonuses and sponsorship money. How the fuck can you be broke!? If he keeps going this route, he will be living a penniless post-MMA life.
    Wacth the documentary "Broke" on Netflix. It goes into great detail about how young athletes blow all of their money.

Boo fucking Hoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

damn, seems he just does not know how to manage his money. if he keeps spending all his money like he does, he will probably be one of those fighters who will fight in their 40s and 50s just for a small amount of money in smaller organisations.
    well I wouldn't mind seeing him fight against khabib or maybe go down 145 to fight cole miller?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information