Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Renan Barao is the P4P champ, if he beats Faber

Quote Originally Posted by ckauffman28 View Post
    i remember Dana saying if two title fights are on the same fight card the heavier weight class will be the main event, yet aldo vs lamas is co main event...
    Yup. Said that multiple times. Once again Aldo gets disrespected. But he can't say anything, since him and Barao are teammates.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I think Aldo would agree with his statement. Aldo and Barao are both phenomenal fighters though, so it's not too big a deal to me if one is ranked higher than the other in Dana's eyes. Aldo does have the more impressive UFC/WEC pedigree as of now, but Barao is earning more and more impressive wins. And if he were to finish Faber and Cruz consecutively, I call them even by then.

I wonder if Barao will move up when/if Aldo does?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Yup. Said that multiple times. Once again Aldo gets disrespected. But he can't say anything, since him and Barao are teammates.
    To be fair, I think it has more to do with the drawing power of Lamas compared to Faber, as opposed to Aldo compared to Barao.

Though that doesn't change him going back on what he said.

To be fair, I think it has more to do with the drawing power of Lamas compared to Faber, as opposed to Aldo compared to Barao.

I'm pretty sure the BW title was getting higher booking when Barao was still facing Cruz
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I wonder how Jose Aldo feels about that comment
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    What the heck does Aldo need to do to get some respect from Dana?
    I'm not sure why Dana doesn't give Aldo props. He's easily the #1 p4p, and I know that he doesn't speak English but he is easy to market given that he's a killer. He's definitely marketable in Brazil especially after running into the crowd after the Mendes fight.

Many people forget that Aldo is 23-1 and has won 8 title fights in a row (with 2 defenses in WEC and 5 in UFC). If they counted WEC and UFC together (which they should for the lighter weight classes), he's 3 away from tying Anderson's record of most title defenses.

I would venture to say Aldo has faced the tougher competition. And beaten a former champ in a weight class above him.
    I agree with you but I kind of see where Dana is coming from. Aldo is clearly number 1 in my opinion.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

The P4P debate isnt a ranking system. It is frustrating hearing novices talk about P4P when they dont really know what it means. Change "pound for pound" to "skill for skill" then you will get a true understanding. When you ask who is the best pound for pound, you are asking who is better based on skill alone regardless of weight.

Ex. Who would win between Barao and Cain Velasquez if they were the same weight (pound for pound)?
    Last edited by rahdeezy; 01-17-2014 at 03:18 PM.

DW has retardation, that is the only explanation for all the crap that comes out of his mouth.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I'm pretty sure the BW title was getting higher booking when Barao was still facing Cruz
    I don't think it bothers me as much that the BW title is the headliner as the original headliner of "champ vs champ" has a stronger billing. Also, Cruz and Faber are both way bigger draws than Lamas.

Did Dana explicitly state that heavier weight classes would always get the headliner spot? I just recall him saying that title fights will always get the main event spot over others. He mentioned that when Rousey/Carmouche headlined over Machida/Hendo.

Also, it's not the first time the lighter weight class has got the higher billing. In UFC 65, GSP/Hughes II headlined over Sylvia/Monson (which I was very glad about!). I don't have a problem with the lighter weight classes getting the higher billing; more respect to it actually.

I would venture to say Aldo has faced the tougher competition. And beaten a former champ in a weight class above him.
    In all fairness Barao has beaten a former champion in a wrightclass above his as well. I don't see the comment ad a slight against Aldo. Just an endorsement for Barao. Not to mention Dana said finishes Faber. Not wins a a Dec. He also says probably not the unquestioned.

I think some posters are taking offense to it just because Dana said it.

Thread Information