Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dana White: Renan Barao is the P4P champ, if he beats Faber

For once I agree with Dana, but I guess it depends on how impressive of a win it would be for me.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I can't speak for others but I am not taking offense to the statement because Dana said it. I think Barao is easily one of the best p4p fighters in the world. For me, just like Kevo mentioned, we have more of an issue that Aldo never gets credit from Dana/UFC on being p4p king. We have heard names of Anderson, GSP, Jones, Frankie, Demetrious, and now Barao as being a p4p great but Aldo never gets the same hype. This coupled with Dana making it sound like Aldo was scared to fight Pettis back in the summer has just made it worse.

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    ...and Barao has had 4.
    That has more to do with the state of the BW division with Cruz out, than it does Barao being injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Exactly

That has more to do with the state of the BW division with Cruz out, than it does Barao being injured.
    Fair point however, Cain Valasquez, Jon Jones, GSP, Johnny Hendricks, Chris Weidman, Anderson Silva, Anthony Pettis, Ronda Rousey and JDS have all had around 4 fights in the last two years.

Aldo's fight total over the last two years is similar to most other champions . Hardly seems like a valid reason to move him down in the p4p rankings.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    Fair point however, Cain Valasquez, Jon Jones, GSP, Johnny Hendricks, Chris Weidman, Anderson Silva, Anthony Pettis, Ronda Rousey and JDS have all had around 4 fights in the last two years.

Aldo's fight total over the last two years is similar to most other champions . Hardly seems like a valid reason to move him down in the p4p rankings.
    I agree, that's why I have him as #1. I was offering a possible reason why DW might not have much faith in Aldo.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I agree, that's why I have him as #1. I was offering a possible reason why DW might not have much faith in Aldo.
    Whats odd is it's not just Dana, even around here you see people overlook Aldo.

The guy is, in my opinion, the most dominant champion in MMA right now but he never seems to get credit. If you count WEC 8, straight title defenses, half of which were finishes, against good competition yet people rank Jon Jones ahead of him in terms of dominance and p4p rankings.

I don't get it.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Once he goes up to LW and gets that belt people will wake up.

I think a lot of Dana not putting Aldo over as P4P has something to due with Aldo's average PPV buyrates, which don't seem to move the needle commiserate to his talent as a main event title holder. IMO, if he can beat Lamas(who is very good) and the ever-improved Mendes, he's my P4P choice, especially since I'm not overwhelmed by Barao's resume, despite his prodigious run.

Jones has gone through a murderer's row and for me, is 1b, after my 1a Aldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I think a lot of Dana not putting Aldo over as P4P has something to due with Aldo's average PPV buyrates, which don't seem to move the needle commiserate to his talent as a main event title holder. IMO, if he can beat Lamas(who is very good) and the ever-improved Mendes, he's my P4P choice, especially since I'm not overwhelmed by Barao's resume, despite his prodigious run.

Jones has gone through a murderer's row and for me, is 1b, after my 1a Aldo.
    Barao hasn't exactly pulled in the PPV numbers either though if that was Dana's reasoning for his comments. Pretty sure Dana's P4P champ is whichever title holder he is getting along with best at the time (including their management).

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Barao hasn't exactly pulled in the PPV numbers either though if that was Dana's reasoning for his comments. Pretty sure Dana's P4P champ is whichever title holder he is getting along with best at the time (including their management).
    True, but Barao hasn't really been placed in those in a true blue PPV main event spot. He was the far second co-main on the Jones/Goose card, main evented a Fuel card and was on the co-main of Anderson/Sonnen II, so he hasn't really been pushed as a main event attraction yet, whereas we've seen Aldo headline several more events. So I can see why Dana is trying to hype and build his brand. They're hyping Barao as a must-see unbeaten in 20+ phenom and for these next few fights will look to solidify Barao as a more mainstream star, something I don't think Aldo has achieved at the level of the other champs(Pettis is new and Mighty Mouse probably has a ton more exposure due to being on FOX)....

Thread Information