Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Renan Barao is the P4P champ, if he beats Faber

Aldo has looked very underwhelming in a couple of his more recent fights, Zombie and Hominick. Barao has been in complete control of every UFC fight. Also what's with MMA sites and their shitty article names. Dana didn't say he Barao is P4P champ if he beats Faber. He said he is P4P champ is he finishes him. It's a big difference, especially since Aldo didn't finish Faber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I don't think it bothers me as much that the BW title is the headliner as the original headliner of "champ vs champ" has a stronger billing. Also, Cruz and Faber are both way bigger draws than Lamas.

Did Dana explicitly state that heavier weight classes would always get the headliner spot? I just recall him saying that title fights will always get the main event spot over others. He mentioned that when Rousey/Carmouche headlined over Machida/Hendo..
    He has said it a couple times that the heavier fighters get the main event slot.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    In all fairness Barao has beaten a former champion in a wrightclass above his as well. I don't see the comment ad a slight against Aldo. Just an endorsement for Barao. Not to mention Dana said finishes Faber. Not wins a a Dec. He also says probably not the unquestioned.

I think some posters are taking offense to it just because Dana said it.
    I can't speak for others but I am not taking offense to the statement because Dana said it. I think Barao is easily one of the best p4p fighters in the world. For me, just like Kevo mentioned, we have more of an issue that Aldo never gets credit from Dana/UFC on being p4p king. We have heard names of Anderson, GSP, Jones, Frankie, Demetrious, and now Barao as being a p4p great but Aldo never gets the same hype. This coupled with Dana making it sound like Aldo was scared to fight Pettis back in the summer has just made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    He has said it a couple times that the heavier fighters get the main event slot.
    Thanks. Must have missed it. He has way too many interviews to keep up with.

Oh no, the fight promoter is promoting a fighter. Dana knows his comments sway the casuals so he wants to get them on the bandwagon. I personally think that Jon Jones is still #1 p4p. Yeah, he had a very close fight last time out but IMO he has beaten better opponents. Just my opinion but Dana is just trying to drum up excitement from those who don't know alot about Barao.

I know the champ vs champ sells but lamas has been on a roll and with Cruz in it was kinda risky of him being flat and rusty after being out for over two years...

Quote Originally Posted by ckauffman28 View Post
    i remember Dana saying if two title fights are on the same fight card the heavier weight class will be the main event, yet aldo vs lamas is co main event...
    Dana says stuff like that all the time then does the opposite...

In this case Barao/Faber is the fight that should be the main event so they got it right at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Just my opinion but Dana is just trying to drum up excitement from those who don't know alot about Barao.
    Which I think is well deserved. Barao is a beast and should be promoted as such.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Stay healthy so he can fight more often. He's had 3 fights in 2 years
    ...and Barao has had 4.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    In all fairness Barao has beaten a former champion in a wrightclass above his as well.
    ah...but Barao actually has a reach advantage over Faber, and Faber hadn't been champ for something like 3 years by the time Renan beat him.

Aldo fought Edgar within a year of him being champ, and coming on the heels of a mildly controversial loss to Henderson.

Don't get me wrong, I don' t think it was a deliberate slight against Aldo, and I do think Barao is amazing. If he finishes Faber, he'll be right on Aldo's heels...but a win over Edgar trumps a win over a 2012 Faber, in my opinion. Evan a simple win over a 2013 Faber trumps a win over a 2012 Faber...I think Alpha Male is really moving forward with Bang, and Faber has had a huge resurgence.

I think some posters are taking offense to it just because Dana said it.
    I didn't find it particularly offensive, really. I do think it's sad that dana throws out terms like p4p without any understanding of the concept, and dilutes the term when he merely uses it to pimp fighters he wants to brand. I also find it offensive that he'd rank Jon Jones above Aldo, p4p. But that's a topic that has already been done to death.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Faber is a nice win, but not a P4P qualifier. I think Barao is top 5, but not #1
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ah...but Barao actually has a reach advantage over Faber, and Faber hadn't been champ for something like 3 years by the time Renan beat him.

Aldo fought Edgar within a year of him being champ, and coming on the heels of a mildly controversial loss to Henderson.

Don't get me wrong, I don' t think it was a deliberate slight against Aldo, and I do think Barao is amazing. If he finishes Faber, he'll be right on Aldo's heels...but a win over Edgar trumps a win over a 2012 Faber, in my opinion. Evan a simple win over a 2013 Faber trumps a win over a 2012 Faber...I think Alpha Male is really moving forward with Bang, and Faber has had a huge resurgence.

I didn't find it particularly offensive, really. I do think it's sad that dana throws out terms like p4p without any understanding of the concept, and dilutes the term when he merely uses it to pimp fighters he wants to brand. I also find it offensive that he'd rank Jon Jones above Aldo, p4p. But that's a topic that has already been done to death.

rh
    I actually agree with you. I too have Aldo ahead of Barao no matter what happens in the Faber fight. My point was simply its not as out there as some of the posters were making it sound.

And I agree with Edgar being a bigger win. My point there was someone said well Aldo beat a former champ at a higher weight class. That was there point, the same can be said about Barao. You on the other hand qualify there victories. It makes a big difference when discussing.

Thread Information