Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Davis planning to fight Glover Texeira since Jones won’t make it to title fight

Default Phil Davis planning to fight Glover Texeira since Jones won’t make it to title fight

Phil Davis planning to fight Glover Texeira since ‘Jon Jones won’t make it to title fight’
    “I want to fight Glover Teixeira,” said Davis.

Why would Davis covet an opponent who’s already booked? What about Teixeira’s upcoming title shot against champ Jon Jones at UFC 172?

Well, Davis thinks Jones isn’t going to make it.

“I don’t wish him harm or wish he’s injured,” Davis said. “I just have this sneaky suspicion.”

Now, why would Jones withdraw from a booking he’s thrice agreed to – for UFC 169, UFC 170, and UFC 171 – only to see the UFC push back the date to April 26 in Baltimore?

“I’m just going to tell you the short version,” Davis said. “Alexander Gustafsson put tips all over that boy. [Jones] doesn’t know up from down, left from right. So I really don’t see him wanting to get back in there with anybody – definitely not Alexander. I don’t even think he wants to get back in there with Glover Teixeira – bless his little heart.

“But look, I like [Teixeira]. He’s a cool cat, but this is what we do. I’m sure he doesn’t care. He’s willing to mix it up with anybody, too.”

Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) previously said he wasn’t thrilled with the UFC’s repeated scheduling difficulties, but said he was ready to move forward with his career against Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC), who’s undefeated in the octagon and earned his title shot this past September with a knockout of Ryan Bader.

Also ready to go is Davis, who said he’s not encumbered by any nagging injuries.

“Healthy as a bumble bee,” he said. “I’m ready to get in there and do what I do. But there are weird things going on right now, and I’m not sure there’s a lot of guys that are ready to mix it up. I think the matchmakers are waiting for a couple of people, and when those guys become available, I’ll get matched up.”

And even if his hunch is wrong, Davis said he’ll fight whomever the UFC puts in front of him.

“I will gladly step in and fight Glover, and for the second time, be the No. 1 contender, and hopefully, that will earn me a title shot,” he said. “But in the meantime, I’ll fight anybody. You name them, I’ll fight them.”

Healthy as a bumble bee? What the fuck?

This sounds really, really stupid but if it ends up being true Jones won't hear the end of it.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Ehhh Phil has potential but I dont ever see him being champ. He may outwrestle Glover.

With Glover in a title match, Rashad and Cormier booked, him not fighting his teammate in Gustafsson, Hendo on a 3-fight losing skid, and Lil Nog rematch not appealing plus Lil Nog spends more time injured than healthy, there seems to be no potential fights to help escalate Davis.

The only fight for him left right now is Shogun who should be quite healthy after killing Te Huna. Shogun's kryptonite is wrestling, but oh well, let's make that fight!

someone refresh my memory, when was Davis ever the number one contender?
    Bow down before me as you will surely fall if you challenge me

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    With Glover in a title match, Rashad and Cormier booked, him not fighting his teammate in Gustafsson, Hendo on a 3-fight losing skid, and Lil Nog rematch not appealing plus Lil Nog spends more time injured than healthy, there seems to be no potential fights to help escalate Davis.

The only fight for him left right now is Shogun who should be quite healthy after killing Te Huna. Shogun's kryptonite is wrestling, but oh well, let's make that fight!
    I wouldn't say so, most of his loses come from sloppy technique. only jones really beat him with wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I wouldn't say so, most of his loses come from sloppy technique. only jones really beat him with wrestling.
    Shogun's TDD is definitely his kryptonite, not his offensive wrestling (perhaps, I should've have just said "wrestling"). In his last 3 losses, he was taken down easily and controlled by Sonnen, was taken down 6x by Gustafsson, and Jones had a very easy time taking him down too. Even in his 2nd fight with Coleman, he was blowing it badly before the knockout due t his poor TDD.

Shogun's TDD is definitely his kryptonite, not his offensive wrestling (perhaps, I should've have just said "wrestling"). In his last 3 losses, he was taken down easily and controlled by Sonnen, was taken down 6x by Gustafsson, and Jones had a very easy time taking him down too. Even in his 2nd fight with Coleman, he was blowing it badly before the knockout due t his poor TDD.
    His wrestling definitely hindered him in his fight with Jones, but I really think it was his reckless offense that really cost him. He got out of bad positions and then threw himself into worse ones constantly. I remember seeing him escape a bad position, get Jones back and then decide to jump for a heel hook, ending up on bottom and taking some more unnecessary damage. I think if he fought more conservative and a lot smarter, he would have had a chance at beating Jones (at that point in their careers.)

He took down Hendo like three times and I think Gus too. You're right about his TDD, it is his worst attribute but he does have an elusive guard that allows him to get back to his feet. I feel the Jones fight was the only one where wrestling clearly lost him the fight.

I hope Davis is just being paranoid but if Jones does pull out of this fight, or it gets pushed back yet again I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information