+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chris leben announces retirement from mma

Hybrid View

Default chris leben announces retirement from mma

after 12 years and a UFC record 22 middleweight fights inside the Octagon, Chris Leben is calling it quits. "The Crippler" appeared on Monday's episode of The MMA Hour to make his announcement official.

"It's been a fantastic, wonderful ride," Leben said. "I've landed more strikes than anybody out there. Definitely highs and lows, ups and downs, but I think I'm starting to realize that, for me, it might be time to make that transition away from competing and get more on the coaching side of things.

"After [UFC 168], I wanted to go back and reevaluate things, make sure that the decision wasn't based purely on emotion. That it was really what I wanted to do. And now, yes, I can say, I've really retired from competing in MMA."

A perennial fan favorite and one of the founding cast members of The Ultimate Fighter, Leben retires with a 22-11 career MMA record, as well as a 12-10 UFC record, although five of those 10 losses came over the course of his final six bouts.

"The bottom line, I've been with the actual UFC now for almost 10 years and I really feel like I've kind of grown with them, parallel with them," Leben said. "In this sport, you're either moving forward or you're moving backward.

"I really can't be upset. I've had a wonderful career. And again, I didn't start fighting until I was 21 years old. Back then you could actually get in the UFC, win and do well, just on being a tough guy. I was a tough guy, I had some techniques, and that always worked for me. But when you look at these guys now, like Uriah Hall, they're just a different breed of athlete than I am. The game has been evolving and changing so much, so rapidly, that I'm actually pretty happy that I can say I was in it for as long as I was in it."
    source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/20...ement-from-mma

thank you for all the exciting fights that you gave us and good luck with the future endeavours.

Thanks for the great fights.. I'm glad I was able to see him in the octagon...

Terry Martin was my fav Leben fight

Pretty much sums up how I feel about this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post

Pretty much sums up how I feel about this.
    really? just because chris leben retired...?

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    He's definitely a MMA Hall Of Fame inductee. he's right up there with Tank Abbott and Don Frye.
    you've got to be kidding me...
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 01-20-2014 at 05:02 PM.

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

C'mon man. Don't be a hater.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    C'mon man. Don't be a hater.
    Im not hating, but lets not pretend this is Fedor retiring or something. Fe is all up in arms over the annoucement (apparently) and then the other guy calling him a MMA hall of famer....what a fucking joke that was.

Lets call a spade a spade and a heart a heart - leben was mediocre at best. Not saying he didnt provide us with some entertaining fights but lets get a grip.

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

Im not hating, but lets not pretend this is Fedor retiring or something. Fe is all up in arms over the annoucement (apparently) and then the other guy calling him a MMA hall of famer....what a fucking joke that was.

Lets call a spade a spade and a heart a heart - leben was mediocre at best. Not saying he didnt provide us with some entertaining fights but lets get a grip.
    He's in the hall of fame of my heart.

Yes. Leben has proved time and time again to be one of the most exciting fighters to ever step foot in that cage. I'm upset that one of my favourite fighters is hanging it up. Wouldn't you be upset if Jones retired tomorrow? I mean, after the devastating loss to Gustafsson, and his apparent reluctance to fight Glover would you be surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

10. 01-21-2014, 01:56 PM

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information