Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bellator 110 features ‘Rampage’ vs. M’Pumbu, ‘King Mo’ vs. Zayats in 205 tourney

Default Bellator 110 features ‘Rampage’ vs. M’Pumbu, ‘King Mo’ vs. Zayats in 205 tourney

Bellator 110 features ‘Rampage’ vs. M’Pumbu, ‘King Mo’ vs. Zayats in 205 tourney on Feb. 28

By Matt Erickson and Steven Marrocco January 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Bellator MMA had made five announcements of upcoming cards for its 10th season, but had left off one date – until now.
    The promotion will open its season with Bellator 110 on Spike TV at Mohegan Sun in Uncassville, Conn., on Feb. 28 with a four-man light-heavyweight tournament featuring Quinton Jackson (33-11 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) vs. Christian M’Pumbu (18-5-1 MMA, 3-2 BMMA) and Muhammed Lawal (11-3 MMA, 3-2 BMMA) vs. Mikhail Zayats (22-7 MMA, 3-1 BMMA).
    “We’ve got an incredible season coming up, and in my mind it’s our best season by far,” Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said on a Monday call with media members. “We’re locked and loaded and could not be more excited with what we’re doing with Spike TV. Our (season) premiere on Spike will be the most competitive light heavyweight tournament we’ve ever done. It’s the deepest and most competitive tournament we’ve ever done.”
    “Rampage” Jackson, who picked up his first win in Bellator in November by stopping Joey Beltran, said he plans to win his first Bellator tournament. He’s familiar with the tournament format after years fighting in PRIDE.
    “I’m very excited to do my first tournament in years,” Jackson said. “Bellator has the toughest tournament on the planet, and that’s how you know you’re really the champion. I’m here to show the world I’m back, healthy and motivated. It’s very bad for everybody at 205 in this tournament. I’m going to win this tournament by everybody going to sleep.”
    M’Pumbu, a former Bellator 205-pound champion, will return for the first time since losing his title to Attila Vegh in February 2013. The former champ andHe’s on a two-fight skid after starting his Bellator career 3-0.
    Rebney told MMAjunkie that the promotion decided to go with a four-man tournament for light heavyweight rather than the normal eight-man, but wasn’t ready to say four-man tourneys will be the standard going forward. It still will be a case-by-case basis.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/01/bellato...ney-on-feb-28/

Follow the link for the entire article.....

Why dont they just make the King Mo vs Rampage fight already, it's clear that's what they want. A four man tourney doesnt mean much if you ask me
    Believe in Chimichanga's

Conversation in the Bellator office went something like this:

BellaDouche #1: Lets have Rampage VS King Mo fight.

BellaDouche #2: But that seems too obvious. Lets have them fight someone first and IF they Win then they can fight each other.

BellaDouche #1: But we want them to fight, so lets just book them to fight.

BellaDouche #2: That makes too much sense. So we're doing something different.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Rampage vs Zayats in the finals...

M'Pumbu is a fairly small LHW and hasn't fought in a year and hasn't won since May 2011....I was hoping they'd bring in Buentello, but suppose that was too big of a risk for Rampage, but it isn't like M'Pumbu won't kick his legs.

I dunno, given how Mo has looked since his knee issues and all that jazz(see-poorly), I think it may be an opportune time to hotshot a Mo/Rampage bout, maybe as a co-main for the Eddie/Chandler III card, if only because Mo has something of a name, majorly compared to Zayats and M'Pumbu, and I'd worry about losing the potential Page/Mo matchup with a loss to Zayats. Mo's name has already devalued with those losses to Newton and his hype isn't what it was for his debut, I'd question the wisdom in risking another loss on his record, whereby any future Rampage/Mo match would mean even less(not that it's a huge draw now, but Rampage is still big business for SPIKE).

They've already forgone the tourney concept for Curran/Strauss III, over Pitbull(who'd won a tourney since) and last time I checked, Dave Jansen still hasn't fought for the LW shot.

Business-wise, I've always gone by the "get what you can, while you can still get it" mantra regarding Rampage, he's such a scatterbrain and can flake at a moment's notice and do some really silly shit(he's doing great things with Reebok right now) , that you think the goal should be to want promote the most optimal fights you can get out of him and aim to garner something in return for the expenditures, before he burns this bridge(which....I mean, c'mon it's Rampage).

IMO, while it contradicts the "toughest tourney in sports" mentality "where the title shots are earned", protecting both Mo and Rampage from potential upsets and booking them in a main event unto themselves(on PPV with the aforementioned LW trilogy bout or as a SPIKE special event) outside of the tournament and booking from there would be my way to approach this.

Dunno, this just feels risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Business-wise, I've always gone by the "get what you can, while you can still get it" mantra regarding Rampage,
    I agree and would put Tito in there as well. A tourney gives to much time for Jackson to flip out and Tito could never make it through without a major injury. They need to get a return for their investment and sooner will likely be the only option. The names are there, use them.

Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson: Infamous car chase to save friend's life, miscarriage accusation unfounded
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/01/quinton...ion-unfounded/
    “All I was doing was getting to my friend because he really needed me,” he today told MMAjunkie Radio. “My friend was going to commit suicide.”

Jackson (32-11 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) spoke about the incident while discussing the MMA media and what he felt was an unfair focus on the personal lives of fighters, including Ortiz, who earlier this month was arrested in Los Angeles on suspicion of DUI.

The pair were supposed to fight at this past November’s Bellator 106, but Ortiz fractured his neck and was forced to withdraw. Jackson went on to make his promotional debut at Bellator 108 and knocked out UFC vet Joey Beltran.

Jackson’s career will roll on when he fights Christian M’Pumbu in the opening round of Bellator’s Season 10 light heavyweight tournament, which takes place at Bellator 110 on Feb. 28 in Uncassville, Conn.

But over the years, the ex-UFC champ and sometime actor’s public struggles have shadowed his image outside the cage.

Admittedly, Jackson’s defense of Ortiz was informed by his own struggles with the law. He said he has been “branded as a certain type of person” for the police chase despite additional details about the incident that later came to light.

“They never talked about the outcome of things, and so now I’m branded as a certain type of person that did this and did that,” he said. “The true story is not even out there that I saved a life that day.”

And while many MMA observers might question whether they’re getting the whole story of that day, Jackson rightly can claim some of the assumptions about him are untrue.

It was widely reported that a woman from Huntington Beach, Calif., had miscarried when her car was hit during the July 2008 car chase, which began in nearby Newport Beach and stretched to nearby Costa Mesa.

During the pursuit, Jackson drove over traffic dividers, hit several cars, sent pedestrians scrambling from the sidewalk, and eventually ground to a halt on three wheels as police surrounded him with guns drawn.

Police initially said the woman, later identified as Holli Griggs, was injured when Jackson hit her Cadillac Escalade. Jackson, however, was not charged for causing her bodily harm.

“The lady … heard I was a celebrity and I knocked her mirror off and she wanted to sue me and she wanted to say I made her have a miscarriage, when she had a miscarriage two days before the accident,” he said.

Yet, according to the fighter, that part of the story continues to follow him.

“She was just trying to make money,” Jackson said. “The insurance got down to it and knew that she was lying, and she didn’t win any money from that; she just got her money from insurance. It … kept the negative image out there.”

Jackson initially was charged with multiple felonies in connection with the case, but ultimately agreed to a plea bargain on lesser charges and served community service. Orange County District Attorney spokesperson Farrah Emami today told MMAjunkie that the office found no evidence that Jackson had anything to do with the reported miscarriage.

“The evidence actually indicated otherwise – he was not responsible,” she said. “He’s absolutely correct about that. He was not responsible for that miscarriage.”

Soooooo for Rampage, the best foot he can put forward here is, "I smashed my truck into a female driver who had just suffered a miscarriage"....classy shit, not like the lady had just undergone a majorly traumatic ordeal.

When Rampage flipped out that day, he put countless individuals in danger, for which there is no excuse he can make outside of a mea culpa and a "Thank god nobody was gravely injured". Instead, we get good ole reliable 'Page.

Thread Information