Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL official unhappy with UFC's promotion on Super Bowl media day

Default NFL official unhappy with UFC's promotion on Super Bowl media day

NFL official unhappy with UFC's promotion on Super Bowl media day

Today UFC reporter Megan Olivi is walking around the Super Bowl media day and interviewing NFL stars and having them pose with the UFC belt. Apparently, an NFL official at the event was not happy with it and originally asked them to leave:

Super Bowl Media Day is the NFL's show and while it credentials "reporters" from Nickelodeon (there was a guy dressed as a superhero), Spain (there was a guy dressed as Waldo) and Entertainment Tonight (um, self-explanatory) — it doesn't like anyone infringing on its event. So when an NFL official spotted a woman and a camera crew walking around the Prudential Center floor asking some Broncos to pose with the title belt, that wasn't going to fly.

"What is that?" the NFL official asked.

"The UFC title belt," the woman responded. "Want to hold it?"

Turns out the NFL official — Dennis Kayser, Senior Director of On-Field Operations for the league — didn't. He then politely asked the UFC folks to leave.

"We don't want this around here," he said. "This is wrestling stuff, right? Yeah, we don't want that associated with us and this event. This is the NFL."

NYC (area) Super Bowl....UFC folks trying to put pressure on the legislature by receiving quiet "endorsements" from NFL members and players.

I can see their issue.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Co-promotion: Precisely the reason why Zuffa decided to have their Super Bowl PPV in the same city as the big game. Can't knock them for trying. Especially with their broadcast partner, FoX, having the rights to the game.

Seems like that would be something Fox encouraged or knew about at least. Seems Fox may have not cleared it with the NFL first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

They've done events this weekend for years and had the event booked for months, the NFL decideds 3 days before that they have a problem with it? Goodell is a fool.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Them sending their reporters around and using the event for brand placement?

I'm good with the nfl's decision here.

Lol.....imagine how it would look if the nfl guys showed up at the nba all-star game and were like, "here lebron, take a picture with the Lombardi trophy!"

Seems almost desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Them sending their reporters around and using the event for brand placement?

I'm good with the nfl's decision here.

Lol.....imagine how it would look if the nfl guys showed up at the nba all-star game and were like, "here lebron, take a picture with the Lombardi trophy!"

Seems almost desperate.
    I see your point but it is a little bit different with combat sports, I still agree with what your saying.

My thing is though, why would the NFL not tell them until they got there that is what is stupid to me? Maybe because Nickelodeon was there? (which is owned Zuffa's rival Viacom)

Could be, but isn't it all just open access to the media guys with passes?

I would imagine the belt thing was just a bit of a surprise attack and the players eat it up without considering the meaning behind it.

Couldn't get the original article to open but it seems like they weren't actually kicked out in the long run and a nit of a misunderstanding ? Both being part of the Fox sports end of things can't see why they couldn't work together.

Funny thing is it sounds like the NFL guy was under the impression that the UFC was the same as pro wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Couldn't get the original article to open but it seems like they weren't actually kicked out in the long run and a nit of a misunderstanding ? Both being part of the Fox sports end of things can't see why they couldn't work together.

Funny thing is it sounds like the NFL guy was under the impression that the UFC was the same as pro wrestling
    I think he was just trying to be a douche by trying to belittle it.

Thread Information