Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manager: Vitor Belfort may not apply for TRT exemption for Chris Weidman fight

Hybrid View

Default Manager: Vitor Belfort may not apply for TRT exemption for Chris Weidman fight

Manager: Vitor Belfort may not apply for TRT exemption for Chris Weidman UFC middleweight title fight
    While Robinson couldn't confirm the Brazilian bomber's plans during his interview, he strongly believes Belfort will likely pass on applying for a TUE should the bout go down in Las Vegas, Nevada, or anywhere else in the U.S., for that matter.

Robinson's words:

"I don't believe so. It's something that him and I have not discussed. He trains with us, but most of his, because he's been in the game for so long, everything for him is pretty well set. So Joana (Belfort's wife) does most of his day-to-day stuff. And it's nothing that they've talked to me about. I don't think they will (file for a TUE) to be honest with you, but it's nothing they've talked to me about so I really couldn't answer you straight."

While many have credited Vitor's recent success to TRT and the fact that he's racked up three straight impressive first-round knockout (KO) wins against Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold and Dan Henderson in Brazil -- a place some feel doesn't have a strict drug-testing system intact -- Robinson says Vitor's recent run is all part of his hard work in the gym.

Glenn vents:

"Everyone has a lot of opinions, but Vitor Belfort is the way he is, not because...Vitor has been nominated, ESPN has him up for an award for his kick against Luke Rockhold. And they said it was the trajectory of the kick, and the angle and all that -- none of that was taught by TRT, so it's all ridiculous. He trains two or three times a day. He gets up, he's dedicated, even if he's having a rough day or tired day, he pushes through it. And he doesn't let anything change his focus -- he's extremely focused. One of the most focused people I've ever met in my life. And that's why he wins fights."

He should not apply for TRT. If he needs this treatment to fight then he should not be fighting.

Basically this tells me that Vitor likes winning but doesn't want to be champion...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Vitor Belfort says he'll ask for testosterone TUE for Chris Weidman fight
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/22...-chris-weidman
    Vitor Belfort told UFC Tonight's Ariel Helwani on Wednesday that he is going to ask for a therapeutic use exemption for testosterone for his next fight, which is expected to be against middleweight champion Chris Weidman later this year in Las Vegas.

The statement contradicted an earlier statement by manager Glenn Robinson, who said on The MMA Hour that he didn't think Belfort would apply for a TUE in Nevada.

Belfort said he regarded the testosterone use as medication that he needs. In theory, a TUE for testosterone should only be granted if someone's natural production of testosterone is at well under normal levels, and thus not having enough testosterone in the body is a health concern. Taking testosterone, an anabolic steroid, is otherwise prohibited in most major sports. Using testosterone signals the body to not produce it on its own, and it would continually weaken the body's natural production of it. Thus, an athlete, or anyone being prescribed the drug, would be expected to have to use it for life.

No date has been announced for the championship fight, but Lorenzo Fertitta, UFC's CEO, has previously stated they were looking for it either over Memorial Day weekend, or on July 5.

Of course he will ask for one. Why would anyone ever think otherwise?
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

If he doesnt ask for a TUE i think its complete bullshit he asked for one in the past and call bullshit on him even needing it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    If he doesnt ask for a TUE i think its complete bullshit he asked for one in the past and call bullshit on him even needing it at all.
    I am with you on this one. If he is in need of it to compete (or for some, to go on with their daily life), he should be consistent with using it from now on. It still will raise doubts amongst many but to me, it's an even bigger question mark if he just chooses to do it when he wants.

I thought there was a report that Vitor and Henson didn't use TRT for their fight? Kind of a contradiction to what he's now saying, that he's already taking it right now and will ask for an exemption. If he absolutely needs it, then why didn't he take it for his last fight? Kind of sketchy.

NSAC chair: License isn't issue with Vitor Belfort, but TRT is
    “I think TRT is something new, and [an exemption] hasn’t been used very frequently,” NSAC chairperson Francisco Aguilar told MMAjunkie. “To have it regulated in regards to Mr. Belfort, it’s new territory for us. But I don’t think that sways the decision one way or the other.”

Aguilar said that while the regulatory body has “some concerns about his past,” and will want to hear testimony from “the parties involved,” he added, “giving him a license is not going to be a problem.”

“The issue is going to come from a TRT exemption,” he said.
    “I don’t want to speculate on [whether Belfort will get an exemption] until I hear the full story,” Aguilar said. “I think we’ve dealt with some pretty unique issues with different fighters, and we’ve got to take each issue individually.”

Thread Information