Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manager: Vitor Belfort may not apply for TRT exemption for Chris Weidman fight

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Do you guys think he should get the exemption?
    If there is strong medical history showing he's been tested at proper intervals and been in compliance, I do. It's sad that an actual medical professional and a public servant would comment on an individual's medical situation without a full knowledge of the case. This guy is a hack.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Without getting into a whole shitfest about Vitor, isn't it a known fact that he actually WAS administered a treatment for an injury by Greco that contained banned substances rather than using it for performance enhancement and the AC openly admitted that it was the likely culprit but suspended him anyway?
    Problem is everyone always has an excuse for why something illegal is in their system it's hard to take a person's word for it as being the truth. It's not even hard to get doctors to say they prescribed whatever they got popped for as a treatment.

Honestly, I'm not sure I want to see what happens if he doesn't get the exemption. Not that I'm completely on-board with the whole TRT thing (admittedly swaying towards the "I don't care" end of things), but I'd definitely assume there would be a shit storm if he doesn't get it. What would the UFC do?

Move it to another State or Country, and face a potentially huge media and fighter backlash over allowing him to fight? People are already all over the UFC because he's only fought in Brazil lately (myself included). Does he just stop using it before the fight?

Or...what? Does the UFC cut him, because he can't get licensed in Nevada, and potentially other States? I'm assuming Vitor wasn't grandfathered in with California for a TUE exemption, before they banned it (temporarily?). Does the UFC tell him he can't use TRT anymore, if he wants to fight for them? Or does he only fight in areas where the UFC handles their own testing (via outside companies)?

Any way it goes, I can see this as being a big issue regardless of the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Problem is everyone always has an excuse for why something illegal is in their system it's hard to take a person's word for it as being the truth. It's not even hard to get doctors to say they prescribed whatever they got popped for as a treatment.
    I would tend to agree if it weren't a known fact that many treatments for knee and back injuries truly do have test in them.

I would tend to agree if it weren't a known fact that many treatments for knee and back injuries truly do have test in them.

No doubt but then one would think any halfway decent physician in conjunction with the fighter and his management/trainers would have a clue that these kinds of treatments would cause problems as far as testing goes.

Just seems very suspect that a fighter wouldn't ask what he was being injected with knowing that they are going to be tested... and from personal experience with sport injuries I make the doctor explain the treatment options.

That depends. Post surgery injections? I've been shot with so much shit I lost count.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Do you guys think he should get the exemption?
    I don't think that exemptions are done correctly. Given the current set of circumstances, I wouldn't give anyone a TUE if I were an ACD. I'm clearly not qualified to be in Kizer's role, but if I were, this is a short list of practices I would have implemented years ago:
    ~a certified endocrinologist to act as a formal consultant--one I could be reasonably sure is unbiased
    more accurate testing measures than a simple urinalysis
    ~in addition to normal random testing procedure, additional layers of testing at regular intervals throughout the period from the bout agreement is signed to the fight itself
    ~testing immediately before the fight and immediately after
    ~Incredibly severe penalties for failing any test [for any fighter]: the first failure would be a two year ban, the second would be lifetime.
    ~I would also adopt the NCAA stance on supplements: this AC does not endorse use of any supplements, either over the counter or prescribed. An athlete should be able to attain peak physical prowess with a balanced diet, an intentional work out plan, and a healthy lifestyle. Any athlete failing a test due to inadvertent use of a supplement [or combination thereof] containing a proscribed substance [or a tainted supplement] faces the same consequences as an individual who willfully violates the rule.

Any additional cost of testing would come out of the pocket of the fighter applying for TUE.

I would also issue warnings for trainers and corner men of fighters who test hot. Anyone licensed who has a fighter fail a test gets one warning without consequence. The second offense--for any of their fighters--they lose the ability to hold a license in the state for a year. The third offense is a lifetime ban. Trainers should play an active role in a fighter's life and the choices they make. Run a tight gym, and you get to operate. Be sloppy or willing to look the other way, and you don't.

Do that for the next two years and TUE won't be a problem. Juice wouldn't be a problem.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

I would also offer that once you accept a contract you are available for testing 24/7 and required to submit within 48 hours of notification. Failure to do so should result in a 90-day ban for first and 24 months on the second. Void contract on third.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    No doubt but then one would think any halfway decent physician in conjunction with the fighter and his management/trainers would have a clue that these kinds of treatments would cause problems as far as testing goes.
    If I remember correctly, he fought 2 months after the surgery. Since meniscus tears generally take about 6 weeks to heal completely, if I was his doctor I'd be pissed he took a camp and competed that quickly. I'd be more comfortable with injecting him think that he'd be taking a camp a couple months out and not fighting for 5 or 6.

Just seems very suspect that a fighter wouldn't ask what he was being injected with knowing that they are going to be tested... and from personal experience with sport injuries I make the doctor explain the treatment options.
    yes, but hindsight is 20/20...and testing wasn't as commonplace in 2006 as it is today. It may not have been on the doctor's radar at all, particularly if they weren't reliably testing in PRIDE. That doesn't automatically mean that Vitor cheated, it could just be that it wasn't something anyone really thought/worried about.

I don't think anyone will ever know for sure...but it's funny how many people think they do. He's certainly condemned in the kangaroo court of public opinion.

I would also offer that once you accept a contract you are available for testing 24/7 and required to submit within 48 hours of notification. Failure to do so should result in a 90-day ban for first and 24 months on the second. Void contract on third.
    That's another good idea. Certainly a clause upon getting licensed to fight in a particular state.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Or, at minimum, subject to tests upon acceptance of a fight agreement.

Thread Information