Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Johnson vs. Melvin Guillard booked for UFC Fight Night 37 with Pearson hurt

1. Default

Huge step down for Johnson.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    agreed
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by MITCHELRIX78 View Post
    I agree with everyone that Johnson has shown amazing improvement. Even with that said, goodnight Michael. Styles make fights but I don't think that Johnson's will match Guillards. I think Guillard was wrecking Pearson before the knee because Pearson was playing Guillard's game. Johnson cannot afford to play that game either.

I think Johnson's biggest improvement has been in his game planning ans staying within a strategy his last few fights. I don't see him playing Guillard's game just has to be mindful of Melvin's power and look for the counter punches and he wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Kind of a sideways step really Guillard is a more well known name then Tibau so a win here gets him a little more well known among the causal fans.. not a big boost in the rankings though but keeps him on a win streak and probably gets him a fight with a top guy.

Pulling for Guillard, but Johnson has looked very good. Hope Melvin takes this seriously and makes another statement. Personally i don't see why the pearson rematch would be necessary, but I suppose he can close that business in the summer and maybe get a contender in the fall. I know I'm the only one who thinks he can still win the title.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Melvin is too fast for Johnson, I predict rnd1 KO. That being said, I will be rooting for Johnson
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Kind of my feel on both.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Melvin is too fast for Johnson, I predict rnd1 KO. That being said, I will be rooting for Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Im calling Johnson by 2nd round (T)ko
    Me too ... just a feeling.

It should be a great fight, but kind of a disappointing match up for Michael Johnson, who I think deserves a step up. I think Johnson will take this fight.

Ha Ha Ha called it. He was calling out all those big names and I knew they would feed him to Melvin

Michael Johnson: Melvin Guillard is more of a dangerous fight than Khabib Nurmagomedov
    Despite Guillard's unranked status, Johnson is expecting a tough bout, speaking to MMAJunkie Radio, Johnson said, "Melvin's still dangerous, he's still one of the best guys in the division. He's been around for a while, and it's just another fight that interests me. To tell you the truth, this is a more of a tricky and more of a dangerous fight than Khabib. Khabib doesn't have knockout power, and Melvin does."

Guillard's 20 career knockout victories back up Johnson's statement. Nurmagomedov has seven knockout wins on his resume.

Another reason Johnson expects a tough fight from his UFC Fight Night 37 opponent is due to where Guillard currently stands in the lightweight rankings, "I would think he wants it a little more, he's a little more hungry. He's trying to get back to where he was not too long ago, and now he's got to go through me to get to that."

An added wrinkle to this contest is that the two fighters were once teammates with the Blackzilians. Guillard left the team in early 2013 and is currently training with American Top Team after an aborted attempt to rejoin Jackson's MMA and a short stint at Grudge Training Center.

Johnson said that two never got along while they were teammates, a fact that Guillard seemed to confirm when he tweeted:

As for Johnson lets get it. Its more fun when you don't like someone. So ill be the first to put it out there. I say what others are afraid
    — Melvin Guillard (@Young__Assassin) January 23, 2014

Johnson was asked about the differences the two had. His response, "I let Melvin run his mouth. He's crazy in the head, something's wrong with him. He sees things that really don't happen, but that's fine. He can say he doesn't like me.

We never really got along; we weren't the best of friends, but on the team I was always there to help him any time he wanted, and he just said he doesn't like me, but when he was on the team I did nothing but support him and try and help him succeed. Now, he's off the team, and we have to fight and he can run his mouth all he wants to, but once the cage closes, no more talking after that."

Thread Information