Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White on Chris Weidman: “How is He Not No. 1 Pound-for-Pound if He Beats Vitor"

Default Dana White on Chris Weidman: “How is He Not No. 1 Pound-for-Pound if He Beats Vitor"

It’s no secret that UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman’s next title defense will be against Vitor Belfort. It’s also no secret that UFC officials plan for the bout to be in Las Vegas in late spring or mid-summer.

UFC president Dana White, in a scrum with reporters on Thursday, reiterated that the fight will be either May 24 (Memorial Day Weekend) or July 5 (Fourth of July Weekend) and that “it will be in Vegas.”

Weidman, however, is making a strong push for the earlier date.

“Weidman is pushing to make it earlier (the May date) because he wants to have a normal summer with his family,” said White. “He hasn’t had a normal summer in a while.”

There had been some lingering questions about Weidman’s health. He didn’t suffer any injuries in his second defeat of Anderson Silva, at UFC 168 on Dec. 28, but his Brazilian jiu-jitsu coach, Matt Serra, told Fox Sports at one point that there was some minor discomfort in his knee leading up to that fight.

White said that there are no longer any health concerns for the champ.

“His knees are good,” said White. “It was actually both his knees, but they’re both good.”

RELATED POSTS

Vitor Belfort Fully Intends to be on TRT When He Challenges Chris Weidman for UFC Championship
    UFC Reportedly Wants Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort in Las Vegas in Either May or July
    Dana White Says Vitor Belfort is Next In Line to Face Chris Weidman and Anderson Silva Winner
    “Unless Something Crazy Happens,” Vitor Belfort Gets Winner of Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva
    Vitor Belfort Tells Dana White That He Deserves the Winner of Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman
    Having defeated Silva twice, and now stepping into the Octagon in the next few months with a red-hot Vitor Belfort, White believes that the star power is in place to deliver a solid pay-per-view number. More than that, if Weidman wins, White believes he may have his next superstar.

“[If Weidman beats Belfort] he’s the best. He’s No. 1. How is he not No. 1 pound-for-pound in the world if he beats Vitor Belfort?” White exclaimed. “It’s impossible not to call him the No. 1 pound-for-pound guy.”

When it was pointed out that White has been a little quick to proclaim a new No. 1 in the pound-for-pound rankings lately – he recently said if Renan Barão defeats Urijah Faber next week, he would be No. 1 on the list – he was just as quick to defend his proclamation about Weidman.

“If [Weidman] beats Vitor, Barão’s [expletive] No. 2!”
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-...-vitor-belfort

Jeez, I hate how Dana throws around the term p4p. Whatever happened to him proclaiming that Jones was #1? Oh wait, that'll happen when Jones is fighting in April. Best to just understand that he's a promoter through and through, and he will hype the shit or rip the shit out of anyone that he feels best.

The problem is that people now [more than ever] see that his comments have started to look silly. It's rarely consistent and it just comes across as "selling wolf tickets". Before every card, there will be a new p4p, "If fighter X beats fighter Y, how the fuck can you not think fighter X is the #1 p4p".

whenever dana uses p4p, just substitute "guy I want you to spend money following."

It works.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I propose that any news regarding something DW said, goes directly to NoobJack. That guy is full of shit
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Riv is right. Pound for pound means virtually nothing because most people, Dana included, don't even actually understand the concept. I don't blame them either. If you start to really break it down, there are a ton of variables, and it's very subjective. It's nice to say "If two guys were the same size who would win", but that doesn't work. If Cain and Edgar were to fight, and they were magically be the same size, what size would that be? Would you bulk Frankie up? How much speed would he lose? How much strength would he gain? A lot, none, or some where in the middle? If you kept those variables the same then what the hell is the point of even magically changing sizes? Same questions go for smalling Cain down, does he get faster, but weaker, or not? What them to meet at a neutral weight? Then those same questions apply, but to both guys now, and questions about how that affects their skill set that makes them so great in the first place. By the end of all this you aren't even talking about the same fighters. It's a fun conversation to have, but if you put much thought into it at all, it crumbles.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

I'm the #1 p4p fighter on the planet. I might as well be. Everyone else is.
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

Ok so what if Barao finishes Faber and Weidman beats Vitor? Who would be your "p4p" then Dana? Sometimes I really don't know why he talks so much

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Ok so what if Barao finishes Faber and Weidman beats Vitor? Who would be your "p4p" then Dana? h
    Then it's a tie. Duh.

8. Default

DW's P4P means PPV sales booster not who's the best unless it's best for sales.
    I wouldn't concider Chris in the P4P race yet 2 wins over one guy. I would say he is a guy to watch though and see.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    I'm the #1 p4p fighter on the planet. I might as well be. Everyone else is.
    No you are not sir, I met Dana White a few years ago and he said I was
    Believe in Chimichanga's

Everyone who is champion except for Aldo is tied for p4p champ in Dana's eyes. When in actuality Aldo is the only one.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information