Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis super fight possible if 'Junior' beats Lamas

Hybrid View

Default White: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis super fight possible if 'Junior' beats Lamas

White: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis super fight possible if 'Junior' beats Ricardo Lamas at UFC 169

Dana's words:

"I agree with you (Aldo's done everything at featherweight). It's tough for him to make that weight. And it wouldn't be a bad idea that when Pettis comes back, for him (Aldo) and Pettis to fight. We were going to do that fight once at Aldo's weight, it might not be a bad idea for him, should he win this weekend, to possibly move up."

*Hard to call it a 'super fight' when Pettis is yet to defend his belt.

They'll either do Aldo/Pettis or Melendez/Pettis. I'm cool either way, but I think it's time for Aldo to move up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I truly believe Chad Mendes has made more than enough of a statement for Aldo to give him a rematch, as he is head and shoulders above the rest of the division(sans Aldo) and for me, before Aldo moves up, I think he needs to put a period on the end of the FW division with a win over his #2, Mendes, who has improved quite a bit since their first matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I truly believe Chad Mendes has made more than enough of a statement for Aldo to give him a rematch, as he is head and shoulders above the rest of the division(sans Aldo) and for me, before Aldo moves up, I think he needs to put a period on the end of the FW division with a win over his #2, Mendes, who has improved quite a bit since their first matchup.
    Agreed, but I don't think they want to risk an Aldo loss against Mendes. That would kill their big money 4th of July Pettis/Aldo fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Agreed, but I don't think they want to risk an Aldo loss against Mendes. That would kill their big money 4th of July Pettis/Aldo fight.
    Agree big time there....

I still look back to the Strikeforce HWGP and shake my head at all of the missed opportunities the way they matched everyone up, booking Fedor in the shark tank(but not in a rematch against Werdum OR the long gestating Overeem matchup) for a relatively unknown but crazy dangerous Bigfoot, while Barnett got chum in his division like Rogers and the highly inconsistent Kharatonov/Arlovski pairing. Any Fedor matchup should've been booked as a big money match, especially after he lost to Werdum. Rematching Werdum or much anticipated match ups against Barnett or Overeem would've been far better for business IMO, since as you mentioned, you run the risk of fucking up future plans.

Agree big time there....

I still look back to the Strikeforce HWGP and shake my head at all of the missed opportunities the way they matched everyone up, booking Fedor in the shark tank(but not in a rematch against Werdum OR the long gestating Overeem matchup) for a relatively unknown but crazy dangerous Bigfoot, while Barnett got chum in his division like Rogers and the highly inconsistent Kharatonov/Arlovski pairing. Any Fedor matchup should've been booked as a big money match, especially after he lost to Werdum. Rematching Werdum or much anticipated match ups against Barnett or Overeem would've been far better for business IMO, since as you mentioned, you run the risk of fucking up future plans.
    Normally i am in agreement wsith most of Fedorlei's post; however, as it relates to the Strikefore HWGP, if at the time Fedor was still as dominant as he had been for year before that it would not have mattered who he faced in the tournament he would have demolished everyone. Im very surprised that FG of all people would have been a fan of giving Fedor an "easier path" since it goes against everything his legacy is built on.

i could be interpreting that wrong but that's what it sounded like to me. and im Surprised considering FG is one of the most thought provokng and intelligent MMA poster (and fellow Torontonian) on here.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pederneiras
    "(A catchweight) would be interesting for both, they would keep the belts and do the fight everybody wants to see. Nobody wants to take the other's title, we want to see the fight and do a great show for everybody. Aldo would move up a little, Pettis cuts a little, and it's good for everybody... I always say that the next fight is always the toughest. It's going to be just like another fight. I think that Aldo has all the weapons to beat Pettis. I don't see many advantages for Pettis in this match-up.
    I have a LOT of admiration for Pederneiras, but I disagree with him here. I'm fine with Superfights if they don't hold up title defense schedules. A catchweight would hold FW and LW hostage. With nothing left on the horizon but rematches, Aldo has cleared out FW, and he's stated that he's ready and willing to move up to LW, I say let him. I'm a mark for Aldo, I think he beats Pettis.

But don't hold belts hostage for super fights. It was a stupid idea when Anderson was whining about Georges, it's a stupid idea here, too.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Normally i am in agreement wsith most of Fedorlei's post; however, as it relates to the Strikefore HWGP, if at the time Fedor was still as dominant as he had been for year before that it would not have mattered who he faced in the tournament he would have demolished everyone. Im very surprised that FG of all people would have been a fan of giving Fedor an "easier path" since it goes against everything his legacy is built on.

i could be interpreting that wrong but that's what it sounded like to me. and im Surprised considering FG is one of the most thought provokng and intelligent MMA poster (and fellow Torontonian) on here.

H.
    When I speak of them putting Fedor in the "shark tank" and booking him improperly during the GP, I'm looking at it from a cost/benefit perspective more than anything, with particular emphasis on getting the best out of an investment. I wasn't suggesting that they protect Fedor by lumping him in the rejects bin with Arlovski/Rogers/Kharatonov, which Barnett easily walked through, but I can't shake the ill-logic of not booking Fedor in a main event-caliber first round fight, preferring the FAR lesser known(but equally dangerous) Bigfoot.

My take is that since any fighter can lose and any time(and in a GP, you're locked into whatever the results are match-up wise) and given that Fedor at this point had already dropped the fight to Werdum, it would've made the most sense to either A.) book him in a first round rematch against Werdum and hype it as "THE REMATCH", which would've garnered major interest given the history B.) book Fedor in the long rumoured Overeem bout in the first round, something of a Past vs. Future bout to possibly build Overeem if he were to best Fedor and be billed as a battle of "the two most feared HWs on the planet", or C.) book Fedor against Barnett, the long awaited, uber-fantasy matchup that nearly, kinda sorta, almost happened at the never-went-down Affliction 3, that many die hards wanted to see. I appreciate the expectation that "Fedor will dominate everyone, so don't sweat Bigfoot", but IMO, it was an unnecessary gamble given the tourney format and far more alluring alternatives.

Just, from a matchmaking standpoint, I think the Bigfoot matchup was idiotic and bad business while there's BIG money on the table for better, more meaningful bouts. I'm not decrying that they should've protected Fedor or had him avoid certain fighters, but more that there were three far superior choices to match him up with, all which carried similar threats of defeat. Fedor should've been booked in a way where he'd go through some combination of Overeem and Werdum, then to the finals against Barnett, or have the brackets filled more evenly, placing either Bigfoot or Overeem on the other end, to possibly meet Fedor in the finals, or at the very least, give Barnett more of a run for his money, since he walked up both Kharatonov and Rogers like they were nothing.

Hope that makes things a tad clearer now, but let me know if there's any other points of contention, but I think there may be a tad misunderstanding of where I was going in the earlier post.....

I think Mendes has definitely done more than enough to earn another title shot, whether it's against Aldo or not. I do however think that Aldo has done more to move up to LW and get an immediate title shot than what Mendes has done to earn his rematch.

And to me, this is not a superfight, it's just Aldo moving up to fight for the belt which was going to eventually happen regardless of who the champion was. If Aldo wins, he will most likely keep the LW belt and stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I think Mendes has definitely done more than enough to earn another title shot, whether it's against Aldo or not. I do however think that Aldo has done more to move up to LW and get an immediate title shot than what Mendes has done to earn his rematch.

And to me, this is not a superfight, it's just Aldo moving up to fight for the belt which was going to eventually happen regardless of who the champion was. If Aldo wins, he will most likely keep the LW belt and stay there.
    Think he could alternate between weight classes? Can it be done at all?
    You have to know what you don't know.

Thread Information