Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis super fight possible if 'Junior' beats Lamas

Default White: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis super fight possible if 'Junior' beats Lamas

White: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis super fight possible if 'Junior' beats Ricardo Lamas at UFC 169

Dana's words:

"I agree with you (Aldo's done everything at featherweight). It's tough for him to make that weight. And it wouldn't be a bad idea that when Pettis comes back, for him (Aldo) and Pettis to fight. We were going to do that fight once at Aldo's weight, it might not be a bad idea for him, should he win this weekend, to possibly move up."

*Hard to call it a 'super fight' when Pettis is yet to defend his belt.

They'll either do Aldo/Pettis or Melendez/Pettis. I'm cool either way, but I think it's time for Aldo to move up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I truly believe Chad Mendes has made more than enough of a statement for Aldo to give him a rematch, as he is head and shoulders above the rest of the division(sans Aldo) and for me, before Aldo moves up, I think he needs to put a period on the end of the FW division with a win over his #2, Mendes, who has improved quite a bit since their first matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I truly believe Chad Mendes has made more than enough of a statement for Aldo to give him a rematch, as he is head and shoulders above the rest of the division(sans Aldo) and for me, before Aldo moves up, I think he needs to put a period on the end of the FW division with a win over his #2, Mendes, who has improved quite a bit since their first matchup.
    Agreed, but I don't think they want to risk an Aldo loss against Mendes. That would kill their big money 4th of July Pettis/Aldo fight.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Agreed, but I don't think they want to risk an Aldo loss against Mendes. That would kill their big money 4th of July Pettis/Aldo fight.
    Agree big time there....

I still look back to the Strikeforce HWGP and shake my head at all of the missed opportunities the way they matched everyone up, booking Fedor in the shark tank(but not in a rematch against Werdum OR the long gestating Overeem matchup) for a relatively unknown but crazy dangerous Bigfoot, while Barnett got chum in his division like Rogers and the highly inconsistent Kharatonov/Arlovski pairing. Any Fedor matchup should've been booked as a big money match, especially after he lost to Werdum. Rematching Werdum or much anticipated match ups against Barnett or Overeem would've been far better for business IMO, since as you mentioned, you run the risk of fucking up future plans.

I think that's why they pulled Gilby from the Khabib fight. He's getting the shot at Pettis when he comes back if Aldo can't do it for whatever reason.

But who the hell knows if Aldo and Pettis can stay healthy long enough to book the fight.

It might be a super fight, just not a Superfight.

With Josh losing this weekend, the logjam at LW isn't AS bad, but you still have Melendez and TJ Grant very close to title shots with Benson hanging around for now. I would like it better if Pettis defended once against a LW who earned a shot before Also gets an automatic shot. Plus as FG mentioned, Mendes deserves another crack at Aldo.

They might be risking alot, and Kev is probably right that that is what the UFC is most concerned with, but I would just let it play out and see what happens.
    If Mendes won, Aldo vs Mendez III would still make good money. If Melendez beat Pettis, Melendez vs Aldo would still draw well enough.

It might be a super fight, just not a Superfight.

With Josh losing this weekend, the logjam at LW isn't AS bad, but you still have Melendez and TJ Grant very close to title shots with Benson hanging around for now. I would like it better if Pettis defended once against a LW who earned a shot before Also gets an automatic shot. Plus as FG mentioned, Mendes deserves another crack at Aldo.

They might be risking alot, and Kev is probably right that that is what the UFC is most concerned with, but I would just let it play out and see what happens.
    If Mendes won, Aldo vs Mendez III would still make good money. If Melendez beat Pettis, Melendez vs Aldo would still draw well enough.
    My issue is TJ had a title shot that got taken away from him similar to what happened to Lamas like three times which is why I'm hoping he'll win just to rub it in Dana's face. I would enjoy Gil vs Pettis as a fight but in terms of Gil deserving a title shot over Grant I don't agree.

I know this fight might not be possiblt yet but I'd love to see Stephens vs Aldo before a Pettis super fight. I think the Edwards loss was not necessarily a fluke but not indicative of his stand up skills at all in my opinion. Him vs Aldo would be enjoyable. lso remember he almost beat pettis before hitting a rough patch. so he has the ability to contend for a title.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I'd also like Aldo to face Mendes in a rematch. Would be a great fight since Chad has made the improvements with Ludwig as coach.

Pettis is a young and marketable fighter, but like everyone else has said he certainly needs to defend his title at least once or twice before any super fight talk occurs. I'd like to see Pettis stay healthy so it could be possible for a potential fight down the road.

I'd pull for Aldo to win if it happened. And would hope for a finish from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I think Mendes has definitely done more than enough to earn another title shot, whether it's against Aldo or not. I do however think that Aldo has done more to move up to LW and get an immediate title shot than what Mendes has done to earn his rematch.

And to me, this is not a superfight, it's just Aldo moving up to fight for the belt which was going to eventually happen regardless of who the champion was. If Aldo wins, he will most likely keep the LW belt and stay there.

Thread Information