Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: White: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis super fight possible if 'Junior' beats Lamas

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I think Mendes has definitely done more than enough to earn another title shot, whether it's against Aldo or not. I do however think that Aldo has done more to move up to LW and get an immediate title shot than what Mendes has done to earn his rematch.

    And to me, this is not a superfight, it's just Aldo moving up to fight for the belt which was going to eventually happen regardless of who the champion was. If Aldo wins, he will most likely keep the LW belt and stay there.
    Think he could alternate between weight classes? Can it be done at all?
    You have to know what you don't know.

  2. #12

    Default

    Even if Aldo beats Lamas and then moves up and beats Pettis. Dana would still have him barely in the Top 10 P4P.....
    Legalize MMA in New York


  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    Think he could alternate between weight classes? Can it be done at all?
    Aldo's injuries in the last couple of years have caused him to defend his belt, at max, twice a year. Thus, I don't think he could do it in terms of timing. Secondly, I think it would be detrimental for him to bounce around in weight as 1) he's either going to stay the same size as a FW and always be undersized for LW, or 2) he bulks up to go to LW but has a hard time getting down to FW (which is already tough on him).

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX (by way of Lansing, MI)
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I truly believe Chad Mendes has made more than enough of a statement for Aldo to give him a rematch, as he is head and shoulders above the rest of the division(sans Aldo) and for me, before Aldo moves up, I think he needs to put a period on the end of the FW division with a win over his #2, Mendes, who has improved quite a bit since their first matchup.
    Is Chad Mendes head and shoulders above Frankie Edgar?
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    14,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    Is Chad Mendes head and shoulders above Frankie Edgar?
    Considering Frankie's only had two fights at FW and they were a loss to Aldo and a decision over the lower ranked Do Bronx, I think Edgar has yet to prove his worth at 145 and will be tied up with BJ, so god knows when we'll see him fight another legitimate FW contender. IMO yeah, Mendes's current record and run is head and shoulders above Edgar's.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    Is Chad Mendes head and shoulders above Frankie Edgar?
    No.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Lets not think to far ahead. Lamas still has to fight Aldo before we get into all these other fights and anything can happen. We've seen Silva lose twice, Gsp took a beating, Jones had a very close match, Bendo got subbed, remember nobody is invincible.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I still look back to the Strikeforce HWGP and shake my head at all of the missed opportunities the way they matched everyone up, booking Fedor in the shark tank(but not in a rematch against Werdum OR the long gestating Overeem matchup)
    I can't help but wonder if Coker knew how juiced AO was...and if he did, did he realize a) AO wasn't going to stop until he got caught and b) The Fink wasn't going to let Fedor fight a juicer, and would do crazy Russian shit to expose him. Coker was all over AO's jock--he let him kick over dented cans in Japan mere weeks after "being too injured" to fight stateside, he was initially going to run the HWGP without it having title implications, etc. It would be interesting memoirs to read someday, if they were truthful.

    I still have no possible idea why they didn't book the Fedor/Werdum rematch. It would have been stupid big.

    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    It might be a super fight, just not a Superfight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    ...And to me, this is not a superfight, it's just Aldo moving up to fight for the belt which was going to eventually happen regardless of who the champion was. If Aldo wins, he will most likely keep the LW belt and stay there.
    Would it be a SuperFight if Pettis was more firmly established as a champion? I'm not sure I'm getting the distinction.

    I do think it's odd the lack of hype dana is giving this. If Georges gave half the inclination to head up to face Anderson, or Anderson gave half the inclination to go face Jones that Aldo and his camp have given, dana's erection would be so big, he'd need to be pushed around in a wheelchair.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I can't help but wonder if Coker knew how juiced AO was...and if he did, did he realize a) AO wasn't going to stop until he got caught and b) The Fink wasn't going to let Fedor fight a juicer, and would do crazy Russian shit to expose him. Coker was all over AO's jock--he let him kick over dented cans in Japan mere weeks after "being too injured" to fight stateside, he was initially going to run the HWGP without it having title implications, etc. It would be interesting memoirs to read someday, if they were truthful.

    I still have no possible idea why they didn't book the Fedor/Werdum rematch. It would have been stupid big.




    Would it be a SuperFight if Pettis was more firmly established as a champion? I'm not sure I'm getting the distinction.

    I do think it's odd the lack of hype dana is giving this. If Georges gave half the inclination to head up to face Anderson, or Anderson gave half the inclination to go face Jones that Aldo and his camp have given, dana's erection would be so big, he'd need to be pushed around in a wheelchair.

    rh
    He'd be Professor X's evil twin brother, Professor F. His super power would be the gift of hyperbole and exaggeration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.



  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Considering Frankie's only had two fights at FW and they were a loss to Aldo and a decision over the lower ranked Do Bronx, I think Edgar has yet to prove his worth at 145 and will be tied up with BJ, so god knows when we'll see him fight another legitimate FW contender. IMO yeah, Mendes's current record and run is head and shoulders above Edgar's.
    Talent wise do you think Mendes is that much better then Edgar though ?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •