+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: White: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis super fight possible if 'Junior' beats Lamas

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Talent wise do you think Mendes is that much better then Edgar though ?
    I'd like to see them matched up, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by POINDEXTER View Post
    I'd like to see them matched up, for sure.
    Me to.. so many interesting match ups for Frankie at 145 with Mendes, Poirer, Zombie, and Swanson

Instead we get a third match with BJ that will keep him on the sidelines for an entire year because of filming TUF

So all we need now is a healthy Pettis?

Only thing is with me is pettis hasn't even defended the belt yet but is still possibly going to get a superfight now even though there are plenty of guys who still ahven't gotten their shot at lightweight.

Coach: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis 'super fight' should be contested at catchweight to protect both UFC titles
    Unfortunately, not everyone is on board with that course of action, including Aldo's longtime Nova Uniao coach, Andre Pederneiras, who told told Ta na Area (via MMA Fighting) that perhaps a 150-pound catchweight bout will better serve the promotion.

His words:

"(A catchweight) would be interesting for both, they would keep the belts and do the fight everybody wants to see. Nobody wants to take the other's title, we want to see the fight and do a great show for everybody. Aldo would move up a little, Pettis cuts a little, and it's good for everybody... I always say that the next fight is always the toughest. It's going to be just like another fight. I think that Aldo has all the weapons to beat Pettis. I don't see many advantages for Pettis in this match-up."

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Agree big time there....

I still look back to the Strikeforce HWGP and shake my head at all of the missed opportunities the way they matched everyone up, booking Fedor in the shark tank(but not in a rematch against Werdum OR the long gestating Overeem matchup) for a relatively unknown but crazy dangerous Bigfoot, while Barnett got chum in his division like Rogers and the highly inconsistent Kharatonov/Arlovski pairing. Any Fedor matchup should've been booked as a big money match, especially after he lost to Werdum. Rematching Werdum or much anticipated match ups against Barnett or Overeem would've been far better for business IMO, since as you mentioned, you run the risk of fucking up future plans.
    Normally i am in agreement wsith most of Fedorlei's post; however, as it relates to the Strikefore HWGP, if at the time Fedor was still as dominant as he had been for year before that it would not have mattered who he faced in the tournament he would have demolished everyone. Im very surprised that FG of all people would have been a fan of giving Fedor an "easier path" since it goes against everything his legacy is built on.

i could be interpreting that wrong but that's what it sounded like to me. and im Surprised considering FG is one of the most thought provokng and intelligent MMA poster (and fellow Torontonian) on here.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pederneiras
    "(A catchweight) would be interesting for both, they would keep the belts and do the fight everybody wants to see. Nobody wants to take the other's title, we want to see the fight and do a great show for everybody. Aldo would move up a little, Pettis cuts a little, and it's good for everybody... I always say that the next fight is always the toughest. It's going to be just like another fight. I think that Aldo has all the weapons to beat Pettis. I don't see many advantages for Pettis in this match-up.
    I have a LOT of admiration for Pederneiras, but I disagree with him here. I'm fine with Superfights if they don't hold up title defense schedules. A catchweight would hold FW and LW hostage. With nothing left on the horizon but rematches, Aldo has cleared out FW, and he's stated that he's ready and willing to move up to LW, I say let him. I'm a mark for Aldo, I think he beats Pettis.

But don't hold belts hostage for super fights. It was a stupid idea when Anderson was whining about Georges, it's a stupid idea here, too.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Normally i am in agreement wsith most of Fedorlei's post; however, as it relates to the Strikefore HWGP, if at the time Fedor was still as dominant as he had been for year before that it would not have mattered who he faced in the tournament he would have demolished everyone. Im very surprised that FG of all people would have been a fan of giving Fedor an "easier path" since it goes against everything his legacy is built on.

i could be interpreting that wrong but that's what it sounded like to me. and im Surprised considering FG is one of the most thought provokng and intelligent MMA poster (and fellow Torontonian) on here.

H.
    When I speak of them putting Fedor in the "shark tank" and booking him improperly during the GP, I'm looking at it from a cost/benefit perspective more than anything, with particular emphasis on getting the best out of an investment. I wasn't suggesting that they protect Fedor by lumping him in the rejects bin with Arlovski/Rogers/Kharatonov, which Barnett easily walked through, but I can't shake the ill-logic of not booking Fedor in a main event-caliber first round fight, preferring the FAR lesser known(but equally dangerous) Bigfoot.

My take is that since any fighter can lose and any time(and in a GP, you're locked into whatever the results are match-up wise) and given that Fedor at this point had already dropped the fight to Werdum, it would've made the most sense to either A.) book him in a first round rematch against Werdum and hype it as "THE REMATCH", which would've garnered major interest given the history B.) book Fedor in the long rumoured Overeem bout in the first round, something of a Past vs. Future bout to possibly build Overeem if he were to best Fedor and be billed as a battle of "the two most feared HWs on the planet", or C.) book Fedor against Barnett, the long awaited, uber-fantasy matchup that nearly, kinda sorta, almost happened at the never-went-down Affliction 3, that many die hards wanted to see. I appreciate the expectation that "Fedor will dominate everyone, so don't sweat Bigfoot", but IMO, it was an unnecessary gamble given the tourney format and far more alluring alternatives.

Just, from a matchmaking standpoint, I think the Bigfoot matchup was idiotic and bad business while there's BIG money on the table for better, more meaningful bouts. I'm not decrying that they should've protected Fedor or had him avoid certain fighters, but more that there were three far superior choices to match him up with, all which carried similar threats of defeat. Fedor should've been booked in a way where he'd go through some combination of Overeem and Werdum, then to the finals against Barnett, or have the brackets filled more evenly, placing either Bigfoot or Overeem on the other end, to possibly meet Fedor in the finals, or at the very least, give Barnett more of a run for his money, since he walked up both Kharatonov and Rogers like they were nothing.

Hope that makes things a tad clearer now, but let me know if there's any other points of contention, but I think there may be a tad misunderstanding of where I was going in the earlier post.....

Manager: If Jose Aldo doesn't move up to 155, then Anthony Pettis will fight someone else
    Mike Roberts, manager for the lightweight champion, told MMA Fighting that the original agreement -- made in the wake of Aldo's win over Ricardo Lamas at UFC 169 -- was to have the Brazilian vacate the title and move up to 155 pounds, rather than meet somewhere in the middle.

"It's not an option that was given to us. [The UFC] wants the fight at 155 pounds. The way we understand it is that Aldo doesn't want give up his featherweight title, so fighting Pettis is not an option at this point. We're interested in Anthony defending his belt against the top guys at 155. If Aldo doesn't want to fight for the belt, we'll fight someone else."

If Aldo moves up, UFC boss says Chad Mendes vs. Cub Swanson makes sense for featherweight title
    White believes a showdown between Chad Mendes and Cub Swanson would make sense to determine a new UFC featherweight champion.

“It would probably be – listen, I’m not making a fight announcement here or anything – but what would make sense is Cub Swanson and Chad Mendes would probably be fighting for that title, and Pettis and Aldo would fight at 155,” White said while a guest on Wednesday’s new edition of FOX Sports 1′s “FOX Sports Live.”
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 02-05-2014 at 11:15 PM.

I wonder if Aldo calling for a CW has something to do with wanting PPV points or something extra, because I don't really see how Aldo and his people could logically believe they're in any kind of spot to really call their shot here. Pettis has nothing to gain by doing a CW and add in that they'd be tying up both titles, I really don't see Aldo getting his way and am curious to see how this unfolds.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information