Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: White: Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis super fight possible if 'Junior' beats Lamas

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I wonder if Aldo calling for a CW has something to do with wanting PPV points or something extra, because I don't really see how Aldo and his people could logically believe they're in any kind of spot to really call their shot here. Pettis has nothing to gain by doing a CW and add in that they'd be tying up both titles, I really don't see Aldo getting his way and am curious to see how this unfolds.
    Aldo did not look to happy at the post fight press conference when Dana said he would have to give up his belt to move up and challenge Pettis.

I wonder if Aldo calling for a CW has something to do with wanting PPV points or something extra, because I don't really see how Aldo and his people could logically believe they're in any kind of spot to really call their shot here. Pettis has nothing to gain by doing a CW and add in that they'd be tying up both titles, I really don't see Aldo getting his way and am curious to see how this unfolds.
    I'm already sick of the nonsense, and it's going to get worse.

Even before winning the LW belt, Pettis was talking about dropping down, getting a [entirely unearned] FW titleshot and taking Aldo's belt. He initiated it, it wasn't anything Aldo did or said. That can easily be seen as disrespectful, so I can see how Aldo would want to fight him. Pettis gets hurt, jumps in line for a LW title shot and wins, and--now that he finally has something to defend--suddenly has no interest in the bout, feeling Aldo should come to him? I'm sorry, that's bullshit.

I'm sure it's bullshit that dana is supporting, because Pettis is a bigger draw than Aldo, and he's been getting more finishes to end his bouts. But it's still bullshit.

But if I were Aldo, I'd be tired of said bullshit. He beats former champions and contenders from a weight class above him, and never gets any cache for it, never gets credit from dana as p4p elite--the idiot actually pimped Jon fucking Jones over him, just think how insulting that must be--and he has to listen Pettis run his mouth about taking his title--then he's suddenly told he needs to give up his belt if he wants the fight...a fight he didn't try to initiate in the first place.

I can understand the "why" part of that. I don't think belts should be held hostage for superfights, so I actually agree with the "why"--but I can't help thinking that if Anderson had wanted to fight Jones two years ago, he would have kept his MW belt. Or if Georges wanted to fight Anderson, he would have kept his WW strap. I'm sure Aldo and his camp see that as well, and it pissed them off.

I can also understand inconsistency in management. If an employee outperforms everyone else, they can get perks that others don't. But it sucks when you've got a guy like Aldo who is outperforming them in the cage, but not just with the accountants. It must suck to see someone like Jones--who is outperforming in the cage, but not with the accountants--getting extra attention and hype to try to improve his marketing, while Aldo has been there longer and with a better record. I'm sure this could have been handled differently, better. I get the "why" but the "how" sucks.

I actually hope Aldo's team simply stays at FW. He has great fights there, I'm fine with a rematch against Mendes and then Swanson. But they should definitely turn up the PR and say..."we only wanted the fight because Pettis had Jose's name in his mouth, back when he didn't have a title. If Anthony suddenly doesn't want the fight, fine, we'll stay at FW, but learn some respect and don't even mention Aldo until you're willing to back it up in the cage. Pettis, you were the one talking about fighting in both classes...if you want to duck out on your earlier words, feel free--but duck out on all of them, and leave Aldo's name unspoken..."

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 02-06-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I truly believe Chad Mendes has made more than enough of a statement for Aldo to give him a rematch, as he is head and shoulders above the rest of the division(sans Aldo) and for me, before Aldo moves up, I think he needs to put a period on the end of the FW division with a win over his #2, Mendes, who has improved quite a bit since their first matchup.
    Your forgetting the Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus81 View Post
    Your forgetting the Zombie
    What does he have to do with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Aldo/Pettis issues 'resolved'
    “I think what Aldo was worried about, is if Aldo moves up to 155 and vacates the title, he wants to be treated like a champion in this fight - which he would be,” UFC president Dana White said.

“All the things that he gets at 145 pounds as a champion he would receive, and I think that was part of the issue, and that was all worked out today.”

Those ‘things’ presumably include a cut of pay-per-view revenues, which Aldo receives in his capacity as featherweight champion. It is a significant revenue stream and not one that would be given up lightly

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...r-catchweight/
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 02-10-2014 at 11:42 AM.

6. 02-10-2014, 11:16 AM

They should fightat 150 so neither has to vacate the title. Also I do not understand why Aldo would even have to give up the title in the first place considering Silva took non title bouts at different weight classes multiple times. Maybe it is different since Pettis is champ but I still think it is dumb.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    They should fightat 150 so neither has to vacate the title. Also I do not understand why Aldo would even have to give up the title in the first place considering Silva took non title bouts at different weight classes multiple times. Maybe it is different since Pettis is champ but I still think it is dumb.
    Problem is, a catch weight fight would tie up both champs for too long without giving contenders a shot at a belt in both divisions.

Things were a different game when Silva was the champ. The UFC had a few well established and marketable champions to ensure the promo beast kept on and PPV numbers kept moving forward. This is very different from the UFC's current situation with a couple inactive/injured champs, a couple 'new' champs and even a division which is lacking a current belt holder.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    No they really shouldn't fight at 150... if two champions are going to fight one of the title should on the line. There are contenders in each division if the champ is available to fight then he should be defending his title.

Have Aldo keep his title, move up to LW and fight for that title. If he wins, he drops the FW belt. If he loses he can either stay at LW and drop the FW belt or go back to FW and defend his title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    No they really shouldn't fight at 150... if two champions are going to fight one of the title should on the line. There are contenders in each division if the champ is available to fight then he should be defending his title.
    how do you determine whose title?

and kevo I agree 100 percent.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information