+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pat Barry Announces Leave from MMA, Release from UFC Contract

Default Pat Barry Announces Leave from MMA, Release from UFC Contract

Pat Barry Announces Leave from MMA, Release from UFC Contract

Veteran UFC heavyweight Pat Barry‘s days as an MMA fighter appear to be over.

The 34-year-old’s manager, Brian Butler, today said Barry is taking an “an indefinite leave from competing in MMA” and has been released from his UFC contract, according to a statement sent to MMAjunkie.

Based on a quote provided by Barry, the fighter isn’t walking away from combat sports completely, leaving open the door for a potential return to kickboxing. But MMA won’t factor into any immediate plans.

The full statement:

After long discussions with our client Pat Barry over the recent weeks, he has come to the decision that he will be taking an indefinite leave from competing in MMA. The UFC and Zuffa have been very gracious in releasing him from his contract and Pat is very grateful for everything they have done for him and his career.

“Over the past few fights I’ve just had this sinking feeling in my stomach whenever I have stepped into the Octagon and I realize, I DONT WANT TO WRESTLE. Not saying I will never do MMA again, but right now I just want to hit people. MMA and the UFC have been great to me and I will always support the company and the sport. I want to thank all my fans, sponsors and haters for being with me on this journey and I look forward to what future holds.” – HD!

“Pat and I have talked about this for a while now and with recent changes in the landscape of combat sports, he wants to explore some options and try to get back to his roots. He’s going to take a little time to clear his head and then we will explore our options. We will keep you posted on things as they develop.” – Brian Butler
    Despite his mediocre MMA record, Barry (8-7 MMA, 5-7 UFC) has long been a fan favorite due to his propensity for slugfests and a boisterous personality. Undersized for the division, he’s still fought many heavyweight notables, defeating the likes of Joey Beltran, Christian Morecraft and Shane del Rosario during his five-plus years in the promotion.

However, Barry, who also owns an 18-6-1 pro kickboxing record, has lost two straight and three of his past four. All of the defeats have come via first-round knockout.

Butler didn’t reveal any immediate plans for Barry.

Always loved watching his fights. Good luck with the future. Hope he signs with glory.

Always been a fan of his. Sucks to see him go but he just seems to of lost that killer instinct ever since the Crocop fight imo. So its better he leaves or takes a break now rather than take any more unnecessary damage.

Fuck! I've always been a huge fan of his. I hope he just takes time off and comes back as a LHW because he's exciting as hell to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

So long, and thanks for all the fish
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

He was never that good but always awesome to watch. He tends to get brutally knocked out a lot so I think it's good he's stepping away.

Maybe a trip to WSOF would be cool? I'd enjoy seeing him fight Arlovski

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Maybe a trip to WSOF would be cool? I'd enjoy seeing him fight Arlovski
    Winner gets to fight 'Glass Jaw' Joe Glass ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Winner gets to fight 'Glass Jaw' Joe Glass ...
    I don't think either of their jaws are quite as bad as their reputations would allow you to believe. Arlovski had a bad streak a while back, and Pat just has a bad habit of getting caught with big shots that would knock out damn near anyone.

Pat was just so undersized for the division. If anyone needed a division between lhw and hw it was him.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information