Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frank Mir Receives TRT Exemption for UFC 169 Fight with Alistair Overeem

Hybrid View

Default Frank Mir Receives TRT Exemption for UFC 169 Fight with Alistair Overeem

Frank Mir Receives TRT Exemption for UFC 169 Fight with Alistair Overeem

Frank Mir has been granted a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone-replacement therapy for his fight with Alistair Overeem this Saturday at UFC 169.

The heavyweight fighter today confirmed the news to MMAjunkie. A representative of the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board did not immediately respond to requests for confirmation.

Mir will enter the event on a three-fight losing streak, including defeats to former champion Junior dos Santos, Daniel Cormier and Josh Barnett.

The former heavyweight titleholder also received an exemption for his UFC 164 bout with Barnett, which he lost via controversial first-round knockout this past August. That was the second time that Mir has publicly received a TUE for one of his fights. He was also granted one for his UFC 146 championship contest against dos Santos in Las Vegas.

The matchup with Overeem (36-13 MMA, 1-2 UFC) is significant for Mir (16-8 MMA, 14-8 UFC) and his future, as a loss could mark the end of a UFC tenure that dates back to 2001 and includes more than 20 bouts inside the octagon.

UFC 169 takes place Saturday at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

UFC President Dana White has had a back-and-forth stance on TRT, the latest change coming after the Association of Ringside Physicians began a push to eliminate all therapeutic-use exemptions from the sport.

Other known users of TRT currently on the UFC roster include Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen and Dan Henderson. Overeem in 2012 tested positive for elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone levels and was removed from a title fight with dos Santos and replace by Mir. When Overeem returned for a fight in Las Vegas against Antonio Silva, a third-round loss, he tested with lower than normal T-E levels.
    Frank needs all the help he can get.

Oh shit lol. Overeem is not allowed to apply, correct?

This fight depends on whether Mir can weather the storm. Overeems biggest issue is his cardio imo, besides that hes a monster

good lord thats a lot fo testosterone in one octagon
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

They should inject it into his chin lol

Lov Mir but TRT really? meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    They should inject it into his chin lol

Lov Mir but TRT really? meh.

hasnt he been on TRT for like 3 or 4 fights in a row? Not a surprise this time.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

Yeah, Mir's was doctor prescribed TRT for a while now, He was on it for the Cormier and Barnett fights (Maybe even before that?). He's been pretty open about his use of it, talked with MMAFighting.com about it, SportsNet, etc. From everything he's said he has pretty legit health reasons for using it. He's no Vitor, that's for sure.

Sorry, why is it ok for Mir but not Victor? (not trying to be a jerk, I am just really not sure).

Quote Originally Posted by Twist of Lemon View Post
    Yeah, Mir's was doctor prescribed TRT for a while now, He was on it for the Cormier and Barnett fights (Maybe even before that?). He's been pretty open about his use of it, talked with MMAFighting.com about it, SportsNet, etc. From everything he's said he has pretty legit health reasons for using it. He's no Vitor, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Sorry, why is it ok for Mir but not Victor? (not trying to be a jerk, I am just really not sure).
    Not to say Mir hasn't roided, vitor was caught on multiple occasions, Mir has not.

One of the main reasons (while it can occur naturally) of low testosterone is past ped use.

Basically people suspect vitor pumped himself full of testosterone for all these years, now that he is back in UFC he's off the juice and his body cannot produce enough of its own T, he gets slammed for trying Trt to supplement the damage he has done to himself.

If vitor never got popped in the past, then people probably wouldn't be speculating about try now

Quote Originally Posted by sergers View Post
    Not to say Mir hasn't roided, vitor was caught on multiple occasions, Mir has not.

One of the main reasons (while it can occur naturally) of low testosterone is past ped use.

Basically people suspect vitor pumped himself full of testosterone for all these years, now that he is back in UFC he's off the juice and his body cannot produce enough of its own T, he gets slammed for trying Trt to supplement the damage he has done to himself.

If vitor never got popped in the past, then people probably wouldn't be speculating about try now
    Multiple occasions?

I only know of the one and it was explained. Did I miss something? (Honestly)
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Multiple occasions?

I only know of the one and it was explained. Did I miss something? (Honestly)
    no you didnt, its still only the one time.

now that we are talking about that one time although he has a "doctor" that has "explained" his use i cant stop thinking of a certain guy named Anthony Bosch - who gave how many athletes PEDs, and said before on multiple occasions he didnt give those players PEDs - and then turns around and works with the MLB to try and build a case against these said players. Doctors are shady, im sure you can find a doctor to cover up pretty much anything you do to your body, and if you have Vitor money im sure it makes it that much easier.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

Thread Information