+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Roy Nelson targeted for UFC's return to Abu Dhabi

Quote Originally Posted by nezlam1 View Post
    I live in Dubai, moved out here about 5 months ago. Abu Dhabi is only a couple hours drive from here.

The fox network plays a lot of local fights. To be honest I'm not sure how popular it is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    For work? Were you already in the middle east or Europe?
    Similar questions popped to mind.

Seems like an interesting place to experience and I love middle eastern foods. I have a coworker who tells stories of traveling around there and spending some time at some American military base as the local bars cover band's drummer.

Anyways, you have to wonder how the travel will play on Nog and Roy's stamina for a 5 rounder.

Roy Nelson: Big Nog is going to put on a show in Abu Dhabi -- unlike Daniel Cormier did at UFC 166
    Nevertheless, Nelson says Cormier's style of fighting isn't one he's particularly fond of, as he recently declared on The MMA Hour (via MMA Fighting):

"I definitely watched it -- it wasn't the engagement that I like when I consider fighting. [Cormier] did his job, like I knew he was going to do, I just wanted it to be...kind of like Big Nog is going to be a guy, he's old school, he's a fighter. He's going to put on a show for the fans. I guess there's a showmanship in fighting."

He continues:

"Cormier was more of technician, very technical. He's going to take some time off the clock. He's like football, where all they're going to do is run, run, run, run. There's not going to be a pass. I don't prefer to watch his style. I like it from a technical standpoint, but from that hardcore fighter standpoint where I want to see someone go out in a blaze of glory, he's not going to be that guy. If he's up two rounds, he's going to play it safe. Stuff like that."
    Nelson 'always considering' TRT
    Roy Nelson isn't exactly the most 'athletic' heavyweight in the UFC, but he's made up for it with skill, a hard head, and an overall toughness. Recently Nelson was asked if he would consider using testosterone replacement therapy and here is his vague answer:

Having won The Ultimate Fighter 10, which drew the highest ratings of the franchise, Nelson did say he thought that he’d already left a mark on the fight game, even if his career were to end today. When asked what that mark is, he pointed to his proving of the old cliché to never judge a book by its cover.

"I think just more that it’s okay for fighters to have a self-esteem," he said. "I think I’ve kind of shown that that’s okay. And as long as you put the hard work in you can accomplish anything."

With all the talk about heading the NAC, and the types of things he would change, the topic of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) was brought up. Nelson, who is in the age bracket that some MMA fighters start filing for therapeutic use exemptions, said he has never taken it himself, but that he’s been offered or advised to "many of times."

And, even if he didn’t definitively state his moral attitude towards TRT, he did say (somewhat vaguely) that he’s at least given it some thought.

"Always considering it," he said. "Always considering what the commission gives you, but no…for the most part it is what it is."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information