Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM Punk walks out on WWE, could he be MMA bound?

Default CM Punk walks out on WWE, could he be MMA bound?

CM Punk walks out on WWE, could he be MMA bound?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyElbow.com View Post
    WWE superstar CM Punk has worked with Rener Gracie for years on his jiu jitsu. He even wears a Gracie Jiu Jitsu logo on his shorts when he wrestles. He's also a huge fan of the UFC and attends their shows regularly. He has even talked of possibly fighting there one day, but obviously his day job was standing in the way of that.

Until he walked out Monday night.

SBN's pro wrestling blog Cageside Seats (via Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Radio) has all the details if you want to check them out but the short version is that, after working for over 40 minutes in Sunday's Royal Rumble, Punk was left completely off a hastily re-written Monday Night Raw the next night. He was obviously offended by that, and informed Vince McMahon that he was walking out. And he did.

Many of you might believe this is fake, or what's known as a "work" in professional wrestling circles. It is a storyline-driven form of entertainment, as you likely know. But by all indications so far, this is 100% legit. Punk had reportedly been very unhappy with the direction of his character for a while now, and made it clear that he would weigh his options very carefully when his contract expired in July. I guess he just decided to bump up the timetable a bit.

Now, here's where the MMA part comes in. Punk did a long interview with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani last week that sort of foreshadowed some of this stuff. He talked candidly about what a switch to MMA might mean for him at 35 years old. He's a "white belt for life" in BJJ, but only because he refuses belt promotions. He's been training for years. He also reportedly has extensive standup training (which is obvious if you watch him wrestle), but the specifics of which have never been documented to my knowledge.

But the most interesting part is how he thinks Dana White might potentially use him - could his notoriety lead to a UFC fight right away? Could he be a competitor on The Ultimate Fighter? He appeared to be open to all of that.

Right now it's obviously way too early to tell what will happen with Punk, but the potential for a move to MMA is there. What that means is a whole other post in itself.
    Last edited by XxChAoS32xX; 01-31-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    — Vince Lombardi

100% behind Punk.

He was leaving in July anyways and he's been burned out for about a year. He's been pissed about jobbing twice clean to The Rock(a part-timer) after carrying the company for the better part of a year and was majorly disappointed in the shitty build for he and Taker at WM(they had him win a four-way to challenge Taker, instead of working a really strong build- it should've been a lot hotter angle than it was), but still.... there must've been something massive that broke the camel's back for him to leave before the biggest money season of the year with that Mania paycheque being so huge.

Hunter and Steph would only let him get to a certain point and as a face, he was limited to the number two spot, since he was going to leave this July, they hotshotted the Heyman/Punk breakup which could've gone on for years, which is something neither guy wanted.

Pretty certain he won't be doing MMA outside of a bucket list thing like Batista(so, not UFC-level), but he's a really smart guy who has been good with his money, so he can do basically whatever the fuck he wants, good for him.

How about he first wins like 4 or 5 fights by convincing fashion in some minor orgs and only then he goes to the UFC?

Even Brock Lesnar has his first MMA fight in Japan.

Him going directly to the UFC would be as pathetic as Canseco fighting HMC in DREAM.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    How about he first wins like 4 or 5 fights by convincing fashion in some minor orgs and only then he goes to the UFC?

Even Brock Lesnar has his first MMA fight in Japan.
    Brocks first MMA fight was in Los Angeles but I get what you mean. Punk trains BJJ with Rener Gracie and I would like to see him put that into practice in a couple pro mma fights before he even thinks about transitioning into the UFC

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I read some article that said "if Brock can do it, so can Punk", COMPLETELY ignoring Brock's NCAA title in actual wrestling. That pissed me off. Realistically, if Punk aims very high, he's probably gonna lose. I'd enjoy watching him fight the Green Ranger. That would be a fun fight between two celebs that train MMA.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I read some article that said "if Brock can do it, so can Punk", COMPLETELY ignoring Brock's NCAA title in actual wrestling. That pissed me off. Realistically, if Punk aims very high, he's probably gonna lose. I'd enjoy watching him fight the Green Ranger. That would be a fun fight between two celebs that train MMA.
    I wouldn't worry too much about him fighting, I seriously don't see it ever happening. Punk himself hasn't said a thing about any of this- or anything for that matter, since he walked out and a lot of these comments in the MMA media are mainly grandstanding to get attention, since Punk is a fairly big star and people like to speculate about things. But legitimately, he's not kidding himself, he has this as a "bucket list" type thing and wouldn't have the gall to think he could hang in the UFC or even BFC or WSOF against any legit MMA challenger.

This isn't a Brock situation, or even a Kurt Angle situation(where he was supposed to be in the TUF:HWs house with Kimbo, but couldn't pass the physical due to terrifying lingering health issues), if Punk were to do anything in the future, I'd say it'd be an ROH show here and there, but MMA isn't in the cards, I'm 99.97% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    The green ranger was actually a highly decorated striker. He won multiple championships in multiple striking disciplines. .
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    The green ranger was actually a highly decorated striker. He won multiple championships in multiple striking disciplines. .
    You don't have to tell me that the Green Ranger is a badass. I watched the show. He is like 4,632-0 against Putties. Is that what the generic grunt bad guys were called? I think so, but not sure. Either way, Punk should have to beat a few of them, and maybe the Pink Ranger before he even thinks about throwing down with Tommy. Seriously though, the Green Ranger/White Ranger was one of my childhood heroes.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

I was a big fan of the pink ranger. She gave six year old me kiddie chub.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thread Information