Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC talking about free agent Anthony Johnson

Default UFC talking about free agent Anthony Johnson

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/31...nthony-johnson
    Speaking to the UFC 169 media scrum on Thursday, White was asked about his interest in signing Johnson to fortify its own light heavyweight division.

"Me and Joe [Silva] were talking about him the other day," White said. "I mean, I like the kid. I always did."

With Jon Jones having done away with many of yesterday’s champions and contenders at 205 pounds, Johnson would add some depth and intrigue to the class. Johnson has knocked out four of his opponents on his recent winning streak, and at 29 years old is just coming into his prime years.

Asked if he had been watching Johnson in his last few fights in the World Series of Fighting, White said he’d caught glimpses here and there. But even when he personally didn’t, the UFC was keeping tabs.

"I think I saw the Arlovski fight," he said. "I saw the Arlovski fight, and I saw another one. I didn’t see the [Mike Kyle] fight. Lorenzo and Joe saw it."

Call me crazy, but I'd rather see him stay in WSOF. I just think it would be best for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I don't think he's ready for the ufc lhw division. Against Kyle he didn't look too good up until that ko imo.

Well that is unexpected. Got give Dana and company props for attempting to find game LHWs but I don't think Johnson has anything for Jones. Jones decimates him in my opinion. Wouldn't mind seeing Johnson back in the UFC though. As for challengers for Jones, I'm very much looking forward to a Goose rematch and if Jones wins that, I'm most interested in Jones testing the waters at HW. Besides Goose, that is where is only challenges may prove to be.

He's definitely not as fast or carries the same power as when he was a Welterweight. Rumble has a good balanced offense, but cardio may still be an issue. Who knows maybe he steps it up to a new level if he's given a second chance. I'd rather see him go to bellator though.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Ariel HelwaniVerified account ‏@arielhelwani

Just saw Anthony Johnson enter the building with a UFC official and walk to the back. Business has just picked up.

'Rumble' Johnson on potential UFC deal: 'We're still working out some stuff'

“I always talk to those guys,” Johnson told FOX Sports. “We’re still working out some stuff, but we’ll see. Everything is going good so far.”

Johnson, 29, finished up his contract with World Series Of Fighting after a devastating first-round knockout of Mike Kyle on Jan. 18. “Rumble” previously fought for the UFC from 2007-2012, but struggled to make weight at 170 pounds and was eventually released. Johnson now competes at 205 and seems to have found comfort in the light heavyweight division.

White said Thursday at UFC 169 media day that matchmaker Joe Silva mentioned Johnson recently.

All I have to say and all I want to say is Thank You Jesus
    — Anthony Johnson (@Anthony_Rumble) February 1, 2014

“I like the kid,” White said. “I always did.”

Johnson said he hasn’t focused much on his next contract. He said he took a week off after the Kyle fight and jumped right back into the gym to help teammate Rashad Evans train for his fight against Daniel Cormier next month at UFC 170. Other than UFC and WSOF, Johnson said he didn’t know if any other organizations have shown interest in his services.

“Honestly, I have no idea,” Johnson said.

That doesn’t mean part of him isn’t savoring this experience as a hot commodity.

“I do enjoy kind of being on the market and trying to see who’s the highest bidder,” Johnson said. “It feels good that I’m wanted by somebody.”
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 02-02-2014 at 12:17 PM.

I have no interest what so ever.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I thought Johnson looked great in the Arlovsky fight. I am pretty excited about him being back, at least at a weight that he won't miss.

If there weren't the horrible stand ups in the Vitor Belfort fight, who knows, he might won that one (although, I guess he did miss weight badly).

9. Default

I enjoy him as a fighter, but don't think he's much more than a middle of the pack with some flashes of better and worse.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/anthony...-in-baltimore/

Johnson (16-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC) will return to the UFC after a six-fight winning streak outside the organization, and he’ll take on someone who’s been sitting back waiting and wondering when he’ll get his next fight: Phil Davis (12-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC).
    I'll take Davis via decision.

Thread Information