+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Despite Alistair Overeem's callout, UFC boss says Brock Lesnar isn't returning

1. Default Despite Alistair Overeem's callout, UFC boss says Brock Lesnar isn't returning

Despite Alistair Overeem's callout, UFC boss says Brock Lesnar isn't returning
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/despite...snt-returning/

It appears former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar‘s potential return to the UFC has gone from a “you never know” to a simple “no.”

Just a few weeks ago, UFC President Dana White said the WWE star’s return to the UFC was “definitely a possibility.” These days, though? Not so much.

The topic that never dies got a new life at Saturday’s UFC 169 event, where main-card winner Alistair Overeem called out Lesnar. After a three-round beatdown of Frank Mir (16-9 MMA, 14-9 UFC) in a featured bout (watch the Overeem vs. Mir highlights), Overeem (37-13 MMA, 2-2 UFC) directed his post-fight interview at Lesnar, whom he beat via TKO in late 2011 at UFC 141.

Overeem apparently had heard White’s recent comments about Lesnar’s potential return, and he campaigned for the rematch.

“I heard word that Brock Lesnar is coming back to the UFC,” Overeem said after Saturday’s victory, which aired on pay-per-view from Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. “Well, I’ll be here waiting for him.”
    However, in the post-fight news conference, White dismissed the possibility of both the fight and a potential Lesnar return.

“Brock Lesnar is not coming back,” he said. “Brock Lesnar is not fighting. I mean, does he want to come back? We’ve talked about him wanting to come back, and he feels like he wasn’t 100 percent while he was here. He feels like he sold himself a little short and all the stuff I’ve told you before.

“But no, he’s not. We have not deal with Brock Lesnar. He’s not coming back anytime soon.”
    After battling a life-threatening bout of diverticulitis, Lesnar, who held the UFC title from 2008 to 2010, returned from a lengthy layoff to fight Overeem in late 2011. But after the defeat, which followed a title loss to Cain Velasquez 14 months prior, Lesnar announced his retirement and ultimately returned to the pro-wrestling circuit with the WWE.

Although the 36-year-old’s best days may be behind him, Lesnar was one of the UFC’s biggest PPV draws during his impressive run and reportedly helped the organization crack the million-buyrate threshold on four occasions in just seven UFC fights.

However, with Lesnar apparently out of the mix and Overeem halting a two-fight skid, what’s next for the hard-hitting Dutchman?

“Every fight in the UFC is interesting to me,” he said. “On that note, for now, it’s holiday time. Then we’re going to sit together with the team, and then we’re going to figure out the next steps.”
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Most people look forward after winning a fight and call out someone ranked higher than you... Not the Reem.

Book AO and Barnett.

Antonio Pezao SilvaVerified account ‏@BigfootSilva

Why he call Brock Lesnar? I'm here...
    https://twitter.com/bigfootsilva/sta...35083198234624

Reem-fail, should've called out JDS or Hunt. What a chucklehead.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    haha does he realize he is still suspended?

6. Default

Dana White: 'It was a crappy performance by Alistair'
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/2/2/...m-vs-frank-mir

There are things you want to hear after you win a professional sporting event, and there are things you don't want to hear after you win a professional sporting event. Nearing the top of the list of things you don't want to hear, is the president of the organization referring to your win as a "crap performance."

If UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem (37-13-0-1) was tuned into the UFC 169 post-fight show on Fox Sports 1, that's what he heard from UFC president Dana White. Those comments came shortly after Overeem ended a two-fight losing streak with a unanimous decision win over Frank Mir.

Overeem's decision victory was only the third time the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion went the distance in a winning effort, and only the sixth time he had gone the distance in his career.

After the fight, Overeem acknowledged that the game plan for UFC 169 was to play it safe. Speaking to Megan Olivi after the fight, Overeem said:

"My guys didn't want me to gas myself, so I just took it easy. I had to play it safe coming off of two losses, losses that I was winning the fight until the last moment, and I wanted to play it safe."
    The two losses mentioned by Overeem came at the hands of Antonio Silva and Travis Browne. Silva and Browne scored knockouts in those fights after being dominated in the early going by Overeem.

That safe game plan was exactly what inspired White to deride Overeem after the fight:

"He fought safe. I think he could have finished Mir. He kept his job," White said. "It was a crappy performance by Alistair and then he calls out someone (Brock Lesnar) who doesn't even fight in the UFC. It was not a great night for Overeem."
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Im glad he didn't cause any further damage to Mir. Overeem just needs to discipline himself when he's dominating.

Transparent and odd callout. Beat up a big name who you know you can beat.... okay, but at least call out someone active. Overeem can burn through Hunt on a good day, and his stock is still pretty high.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

When Weidman beats Vitor he should call out CM Punk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information