+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White on Renan Barao stoppage: Herb Dean ‘made a mistake tonight’

1. Default Dana White on Renan Barao stoppage: Herb Dean ‘made a mistake tonight’

Dana White on Renan Barao stoppage: Herb Dean ‘made a mistake tonight’
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/2/...istake-tonight

NEWARK – On a night when the UFC broke an ignominious record with 10 decisions, the hope was that the main event between Urijah Faber and Renan Barao would set everything right. Turns out the main event had the exact opposite problem; it ended too early.

Herb Dean, the longtime referee who is commonly called the best working in MMA, was the third man in the cage. When Barao had Faber in trouble in the first round, after a prolonged sally in which Faber was curling up – but still defending himself – Dean stepped in and called Barao off. The crowd let out a groan, and Faber instantaneously protested.

In the post-fight interview, it was shown that he gave the thumb’s up to Dean during the critical moment. Dean didn’t see it.

And afterwards, UFC president Dana White, who usually sings Dean’s praises, said even the best have off nights.

“You know you’ve heard me up here a million times talk about Herb Dean -- I think he’s the best referee in the business,” white said. “He rarely ever makes mistakes, but he made a mistake tonight. Faber was blocking those shots, he gave the thumb’s up. You know, the guy’s the best in the business as far as I’m concerned. Tonight he made a mistake.”
    Even with the mistake, and even though this could possibly be his last shot at a title, the 35-year old Faber wasn’t about to pile on. He graciously defended Dean in taking the high road.

He even told a story about his history with the California-based Dean.

“This is the sport we’re in,” Faber said. “It’s funny, Herb Dean was the referee when I lost my first fight against Tyson Griffin. I did like a cage-dive into a steel bar and I ended up getting seven staples in my head in the first eight seconds. I almost got knocked out like two or three times, and he let me fight through it all. You know?

“I’ve had wrestling matches where I’ve been dazed before and had to do four or five matches in the same day. So it’s unfortunate, being a guy that’s very tough that prides myself on that, in a big show like the one we had today where I don’t get to fight to the bitter end.”
    Faber was also quick to give praise to the defending bantamweight champion, Barao, who got his first title defense as the undisputed champion.

“On the same note, Barao is getting better and he caught me with a clean punch and went for the kill,” Faber said. “I don’t know how to defend myself, when you say intelligently defend yourself, pull on the leg, cover my head? If they’re asking me to defend myself and I’m already defending myself I had to do something, so I put my thumb up, but…it is what it is.

“Again, it’s not a situation where I can ask for an immediate rematch or anything like that, so I’m just going to get back on the horse…and work my way towards being champion again.”
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Am I the only one who didn't really have a problem with the stoppage? Faber was curled up and taking shots with no movement on his part, he was doing nothing to get himself out of the position, and I doubt Herb ever saw the "thumbs up" I didn't.

3. Default

He had Barao's leg, and was blocking all the shots with his hand. Not much he could of done. Horrible stoppage.

Meh, I didnt think it was a big deal either.

Faber was taking some damage, blocking the shots or not, Faber was rocked a couple times and was quickly loosing that fight.

A ref can never do right, stop it too quick, people scream bad stoppage.. Leave it go a little too long and people scream he let the fighter take too much damage.

meh, I thought the stoppage was kind of early since it was a title fight; however, I'm not actually upset with the stoppage.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't really have a problem with the stoppage? Faber was curled up and taking shots with no movement on his part, he was doing nothing to get himself out of the position, and I doubt Herb ever saw the "thumbs up" I didn't.
    Yea, I don't have a problem aswel. Outcome would have been same anyway, herb dean just saved Faber from getting extra punishment IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    He had Barao's leg, and was blocking all the shots with his hand. Not much he could of done. Horrible stoppage.
    I usually agree with you Sakara, but what else could he do? He could move, pull guard, stand up, etc. He could just have easily been knocked out and we wouldnt have known. Just laying there, taking 15 shots without moving, cant be considered an intelligent defense.

Take it to the extreme, at what point would that go from intelligent defense to not so? 15 shots, 30 shots, 50 shots without moving? Its Fabers job to do something, and hes enough of a veteran to know that.

Im reminded of what happened to Barnett against Browne,Faber could have just as easily ended up the same way had he merely "held on and covered up" It may have been defense but I didnt consider it intelligent defense

9. Default

In a position and giving the thumbs up that you are okay is intelligent. If he was out, he wouldn't of signaled to Herb Dean, lol.

It would be awesome if some MMA journalist had the presence of mind to stick a microphone in front of Herb Dean the next time dana fucks up.

A hack journalist should do that. Dean probably probably has too much class, but one should track down everyone dana feels entitled to talk shit about, and then ask them their opinion of white the next time his sticks his foot in his mouth. It shouldn't be a long wait, and it would be at least as fun a read as hearing dana's uneducated opinions on whatever he feels like spouting about.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information