Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dana White on Renan Barao stoppage: Herb Dean ‘made a mistake tonight’

1. Default

Blocking all of your opponents punches with your hand and holding on to a leg, that's not defending yourself?
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

In my opinion, that's not intelligently defending yourself. Waiting for your opponent to punch himself out as a viable game plan went out with cabbage correira. It's not like it was the first time Faber was hurt in that round.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

3. Default

You are correct. Then stop it when he's hurt. Because he sure wasn't hurt when they stopped the fight.

I don't have a problem with the stoppage. If he'd stopped it either time Faber was initially hurt, fans would complain about flash KO's or the same stuff they're complaining about now. Dean allowed Faber to try to recover once, he got hurt again, and this time Barao followed him and put him in harms way--whereupon Faber stopped intelligently defending himself. Yes, he got a leg, yes he took some shots on his hand--those are still going to impact the brain, by the way--and he gave a thumbs up, which could have been more reflex action than conscious thought.

The likelihood of Barao timing his shots better, or aiming better and getting through is infinitely more likely than him punching himself out. The likelihood of Faber actually doing anything with the leg--while trying to block shots--is minimal. To me, that amounts to a lack of intelligent defense.

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't perfect--MMA rarely is--but I don't see it as a terrible stoppage.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Look no one is talking about the real early stoppage of 169 Varner still had plenty of fight in him.

Just Kidding LOL. The Stop was justified I didn't like it I think Faber was good to continue but that doesn't negate the fact that Herb said move and defend then stopped it.

The only thing I didn't like about the stoppage was how Barao looked up at the ref in an attempt to get him to stop the fight. I wish he focused on finishing the fight himself instead of looking for the ref to stop it.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

The likelihood of Barao timing his shots better, or aiming better and getting through is infinitely more likely than him punching himself out. The likelihood of Faber actually doing anything with the leg--while trying to block shots--is minimal. To me, that amounts to a lack of intelligent defense.

rh
    For me that's what should have happened prior to the stoppage. Faber wasn't doing a whole lot to defend himself but at the same time Barao wasn't really doing anything significantly dangerous to him. I would have liked to see either fighter attempt to change the positions they were in before that fight was called.

Duane Ludwig: After Bad Stoppage, Urijah Faber Deserves Another Shot at Renan Barao
    “I thought the stoppage was a little bit premature,” Ludwig told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Urijah was in trouble before that, but he was intelligently defending himself obviously with the thumb’s up. But we all make mistakes; it happens. I just think it was a mistake by Herb.”

Barao hurt Faber early and floored him again before following up with hammerfists on the ground. In Ludwig’s view, however, Faber was still defending himself intelligently when Dean stepped in.

“He was,” Ludwig said. “There wasn’t much more he could have done. One arm was trapped. The arm that was trapped, he was giving the freakin’ thumb’s up, but maybe Herb didn’t see that. Obviously he didn’t see that, and with the other arm he was defending himself. I think obviously [Dean] made a bad call and I think he’ll tell you that himself after looking at it.”

Faber has had an impressive career, but he’s struggled in title bouts, losing his last six. Some fans may not be eager to see him get another title shot, but Ludwig doesn’t think Saturday’s matchup should be held against him.

“He didn’t really lose this time, though,” Ludwig said. “It was a bad stoppage. If he went out there and got dominated and got his ass beat or got submitted or got stopped, like knocked out cold or the referee didn’t pull him away when he should have stopped the fight, then you’d have a valid point, but right now you don’t have a valid point because he lost to him the first [time] in a very close fight, a decision. This time it was a premature stoppage -- everybody agrees. Because of this point in particular, the way it was stopped, there should be a third fight.”

Ludwig believes it will happen, too.

“I don’t think Urijah even needs to have another fight to go back to Barao,” he said. “I think they should redo it, but of course I’m not the promoter. I’m not the one dealing with the P.R. relations and such, so I think what they would like to do is have Urijah do one more fight, maybe do one more fight, maybe in the summer or so, or maybe in the spring or something, do another fight, get a win and then fight Barao again in the summer.”

I wish I had seen this fight. I have nothing to go on but comments and descriptions of this ending. It seems to me though that, while it probably was an early stoppage, Faber doesn't deserve another title shot right away or even after just one more fight. Barao beat him handily in their first fight and then really put emphasis on that first win by dropping him twice in one round. How many times does Barao need to beat this guy? I really don't agree with Bang that you have to be knocked out cold to have been dominated.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

And since you didn't see that fight, I'm sure you didn't see Varner get KTFO

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Thread Information