Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White says decision on Frank Mir's retirement to be made this week

1. Default Dana White says decision on Frank Mir's retirement to be made this week

Dana White says decision on Frank Mir's retirement to be made this week
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/2/2/537...-this-week-mma

The third heavily-promoted fight on the UFC 169 pay-per-view (PPV) fight card, aside from the bantamweight and featherweight title fights, featured the match-up between Frank Mir and Alistair Overeem (recap).

Both heavyweights entered on losing streaks, and both were rumored to be on the proverbial hot seat if either of their losing ways were to continue. Overeem, currently the number nine-ranked heavyweight, nearly finished the 12-year veteran in the first round, but Mir managed to survive the onslaught and regain his bearings.

Already the owner of the most submission victories in the history of the heavyweight division, Mir almost added Overeem's neck to his mantle (next to Big Nog's arm and Brock Lesnar's leg) after nearly locking in a guillotine attempt, but the Dutch fighter was able to escape. After that, Overeem dished out some heavy damage and went on to a unanimous decision, handing Mir his fourth straight defeat.

UFC President Dana White was not impressed.

The former two-time UFC heavyweight champion has been with the promotion since UFC 34, which took place back in 2001. He will turn 35 in May and no matter how you spin it, four losses is four losses, and three is usually the barometer to which the pink slip in the UFC is measured.

Could this loss mean it's the end of the road for Mir?

"It's not a decision we will make tonight," White told MMAmania.com at the post-fight presser (watch it here). "We will get together next week and we will figure out what we want to do."
    As far as many being surprised at the fight going the distance, White was among them saying:

"It wasn't the fight I expected to see."
    Mir may get one more chance due to his long-term relationship with the promotion, and the overall lack of depth in the heavyweight division. He can safely be placed on any fight card and garner interest from fans and media for any of his match-ups.

Of course, after seeing some of the notable names who have been let go by the UFC this past year, his chances of remaining on the roster seem to be completely up in the air after his UFC 169 loss.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

I know it's 4 in a row now. But I'd like to see him stay.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

To be fair, it was arguably against all top 5 fighters.

Like Vimy said all those losses were possibly to the top 5 fighters in the division. How bout giving him a fight against some around the top 10 range and see what happens. Fighting guys like those and cutting him is kind of unfair to him in a way. He deserves an opportunity to fight someone else but they may do him like they did Yushin Okami.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

Personally, even though it's 4 losses in a row, I wouldn't fault a guy for losing to JDS, Cormier, Barnett, and Overeem.

It's not who he lost to for me, it's how he looked during those losses. He hasn't looked good in a long time.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    It's not who he lost to for me, it's how he looked during those losses. He hasn't looked good in a long time.
    Agreed, but I'll take it a step further. He was out on his feet against Nogueira before Big Nog let him off the hook and stopped striking, He was in a boring fight against a pneumonia stricken Roy Nelson, and was in another lackluster fight against a past his prime Cro Cop. He wasn't even all that impressive in his last three wins. It's time for him to hang it up.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

The Kongo fight and the first Nogueira fight were his only impressive performances in the last fiv3 and a half years
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I agree. The last performance where he looked very good was against Kongo, that was in 2009.
    The last performance where he looked amazing was against Nogueira, that was in 2008.

Since then, he won 3 fights, but in all those 3 fights he looked very very unimpressive.
    Of his last 6 loses, no one of them was even competitive. Mir was absolutely dominated in all of those loses.

Maybe Mir is still capable of beating someone like Nikita Krylov for example, but he is not a Top 10 fighter anymore.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

wasnt he training for this fight in his garage with freaking James Mcsweeney?

Thread Information