Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White says decision on Frank Mir's retirement to be made this week

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    I agree. The last performance where he looked very good was against Kongo, that was in 2009.
    The last performance where he looked amazing was against Nogueira, that was in 2008.

Since then, he won 3 fights, but in all those 3 fights he looked very very unimpressive.
    Of his last 6 loses, no one of them was even competitive. Mir was absolutely dominated in all of those loses.

Maybe Mir is still capable of beating someone like Nikita Krylov for example, but he is not a Top 10 fighter anymore.
    Aye, I agree. And in that fight Nogueira looked like he needed to retire with his staph infection.

I used to be excited to see Frank Mir fight, but nowadays his fights just seem very lackluster. I don't think there's much reason to keep him with his current contract as a gatekeeper and I don't think he can win anyone in the top 10.

Hopefully though Dana won't go on his usual "he needs to retire" rampage...
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Quote Originally Posted by ckauffman28 View Post
    wasnt he training for this fight in his garage with freaking James Mcsweeney?
    Yeah, he left Jacksons after him and Jones got into a fight in Russia a couple months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    It's not who he lost to for me, it's how he looked during those losses. He hasn't looked good in a long time.
    getting in this line. I felt bad for him because we just weren't seeing the fighter that once was. There seemed to be little to no offense by Mir. Any attempt was quickly stopped and most of Mir's actions looked like half-hearted tries. I would say that he didn't want to be there, but he had plenty of opportunities to get out of the fight by tapping or being KO'd.

He's a tough guy with a lot of skill, I feel he needs to work on mental motivation and imposing is will onto another fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    To be fair, it was arguably against all top 5 fighters.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetallicKnight3X View Post
    Like Vimy said all those losses were possibly to the top 5 fighters in the division. How bout giving him a fight against some around the top 10 range and see what happens.
    I don't have AO in the top 10, even after a win over Mir. I don't have Barnett anywhere close to top 5.

I don't think it's a matter of him getting cut. I think it's a matter of him retiring, moving to a commentary spot. Maybe create a web show that he hosts on Fight Pass or something.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    They were horse playing. That wasn't real.
    Was there ever conformation of that? I kinda thought that was the case but I can't recall anything being posted confirming it.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

OK, AO wasn't at the time of their fight but was last year. Barnett was top 5 before his recent loss.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't have AO in the top 10, even after a win over Mir. I don't have Barnett anywhere close to top 5.

I don't think it's a matter of him getting cut. I think it's a matter of him retiring, moving to a commentary spot. Maybe create a web show that he hosts on Fight Pass or something.

rh

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    OK, AO wasn't at the time of their fight but was last year. Barnett was top 5 before his recent loss.
    You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but I haven't had Barnett higher than 7 for a long time, nor have any rankings that I respect. The win over Mir made his 7 a more solid ranking--it had been years since he'd beaten a ranked opponent--but it wasn't anything that would fire him up the lists.

I'm not saying Mir sucks. I'm saying he's firmly a gatekeeper, and he's not top 10, and he's losing to guys on the fringe of top 10, in AO.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Well considering they were moving about 1/2 speed and Mir took down Jones and basically had his way with him. If you google it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fran...m=122&ie=UTF-8

It all refers to them horseplaying and a "mock" fight.
    That's kinda what I thought, just wasn't sure if one of them actually came out and confirmed it was just them clowning around.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Thread Information